Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Wi-Fi woes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wi-Fi woes
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-13, 17:59

I've been having some issues today. My MacBook normally has no issues whatsoever connecting to my wireless network, but today, every 3 or 4 minutes or so, I have to manually reconnect to the network by selecting it in the menu bar. I tried using Windows for an hour or so, and it appeared to have no problems at all. Neither does my Mac Mini which is further from the router. I even sat next to the router and still had the same problem.

Necessary info
  • I have a Buffalo AirStation WYR-G54.
  • I use WEP
  • MacBook 1.83GHz. 1.25GB RAM, 10.4.10

I have tried using Interference Robustness, and, I have selected my network as the preferred network.

I think it might have something to do with one of my neighbours' networks. Every time I lose the connection, a new network appears in the list, but it disappears when I connect to mine. It has the delightful name of 'FuckOfYouLeachingCunts' sic. I've only found this network the last few days. It's certainly not been around long. I can also see another network called 'Gandalf' (one of my other neighbours obviously has a LOTR fetish).

Hope that's enough info

Thanks.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-14, 05:33

Anyone?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-14, 05:43

I have a similar problem on a consistent basis with my iMac. It's a pretty consistent issue - when restarting the iMac, wifi does not work. It shows up in the menubar and pretends like it's connected but it's not. It won't mount my network share, etc. The only way to get it work is to turn off airport and turn it back on. Nothing else works and nothing's fixed it.

Windows XP has no problems with connecting at all. So it's not hardware. This has been a problem for many point releases of 10.4.x.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-07-14, 05:51

Thanks for the input.

Nevertheless... *bangs head against wall*
siperonomames

2007-07-14, 09:15

Since the 10.4.10 update i have been having that problems, and also have been having lots of kernel panics, but only while on battery... is there any way i can go back to 10.4.9?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-07-14, 10:37

Have you tried switching channels?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-14, 10:53

I have the same issue with my wife's MB. We just turn AP off and the back on and all's fine. Kinda annoying, but not a big deal. It just gets really annoying when you aren't expecting it and for some reason your page doesn't load!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-07-14, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that! I have just done it. If I've not dropped a connection in the next 30 minutes, I think it will have been successful.

Last edited by turbulentfurball : 2007-07-14 at 16:09. Reason: spelling
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-07-14, 16:20

Ok, that's been over an hour, and I haven't dropped the connection once.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-07-14, 17:15

This is the best cure I've found for flaky AirPort connections:

In Network system prefs, go to AirPort and to Preferred Networks and delete all entries on the list.

Next, go to Keychain Utility and delete all entries for your wireless network password(s).

Restart.

Join your wireless network, and save the password to the keychain.

Go back to Preferred Networks and add your wireless network.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-07-14, 17:28

To go back to 10.4.9, I think you have to do an Archive and Install from your original CDs, then use this installer to upgrade to 10.4.9.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304822

It seems this issue may be related to the 10.4.10 update:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....08143&tstart=0
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-14, 17:44

Alright, here's a WiFi Woe that's been driving me nuts... I have two accounts I flip between during the day. One for work, one for personal. (This lets me keep all confidential work data in its own silo.) Anytime I FUS between them, my WiFi drops, and I have to *manually* go reconnect to the proper network.

Any suggestions?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-07-14, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that! I have just done it. If I've not dropped a connection in the next 30 minutes, I think it will have been successful.
I checked out the Buffalo site and found that there's an "auto channel setting" that seeks out the best signal:
Quote:
Set a specific channel for wireless instead of using Auto channel. The Auto channel will change the wireless channel automatically to avoid interference. Occasionally, if the interference is equal on all channels, it will cycle through them constantly.

To change this:

1. Log into the router's Web Interface and navigate to Advanced->LAN Settings->Wireless.

2. Disable Auto Channel and set the channel to a specific one. Begin with channel 11 and if the problem continues, try decreasing channels by intervals of two until a strong signal is acquired. Apply the setting after each change to test it.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-07-14, 23:44

I think, in general, everyone's been having problems with 10.4.10 and AirPort. Check any support forum and you'll likely find a multipage thread relating to this topic. I know i have experienced AirPort wonkiness since the update on my MacBook.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-07-15, 00:55

There are also a lot of discussions on Apple's support site regarding Kickaha's issue. No real resolution though (sorry, Kick).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-15, 00:58

Dagnabbit. Thanks anyway, Drew.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-07-15, 12:17

Quote:
Ok, that's been over an hour, and I haven't dropped the connection once.
So.... the next stage of the saga. I don't lose the connection when I'm on AC power, but I do when I'm on battery power. I didn't drop a connection at all last night because I was on AC the whole time. I read that link to the Apple discussion boards and many are reporting the same issue; wifi issues when running from batter after the upgrade to 10.4.10
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-07-28, 18:45

This seems to be Intel-specific, though. I've used 10.4.10 on my PowerBook since it came out, without trouble. The MacBook I got recently is showing this problem (with an Airport Express base station): I have to reconnect to my network even though the connection is pretty good, every half hour or so. Since this seems to be a widespread problem, I'm hoping for 10.4.11 (or at least a minor update) soon.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-28, 18:47

Haven't seen you in a while, fish.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-07-28, 18:50

Long time no see!

I've learned to live with never using my MacBook on battery power, but I'm sure that many many others are really ticked off at this. It's supposed to be a mobile computer! It's been a fortnight and still no acknowledgment or fix from Apple.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-28, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Since the thread has been revived I thought I'd let it be known that I changed channels on my access point and my signal hasn't dropped since. I use a WiFi finder to tell me the used channels (for the 23 available routers in my neighborhood ) and almost all of them are 6 and 11. I had chosen 1 since it wasn't used last time I checked. Now about three were using 1 but 4 was totally clear. So here I sit using channel 4 now and no drops.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-07-28, 18:55

Yes, it's been some time. I spent way too much time here, so I needed a break to do slightly more important things than obsessively reading every post . Good to see that the usual suspects are still around and respond within seconds, though
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-07-28, 18:59

I tried switching channels too, because I thought it was just congestion on the three channels that are used the most (1, 6, 11). But that didn't help.

There are some useful Dashboard Widgets for finding out which channels are used, btw, like AirTrafficControl.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-28, 21:18

Great Widget ghoti! Thanks for sharing it here. Seems someone else finally moved to channel 3 in my neighborhood but thankfully it isn't causing me issue either.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-07-29, 06:58

Quote:
Long time no see!

I've learned to live with never using my MacBook on battery power, but I'm sure that many many others are really ticked off at this. It's supposed to be a mobile computer! It's been a fortnight and still no acknowledgment or fix from Apple.
I was having a lot of issues with wifi on my MacBook too...as was my brother. It was the 10.4.10 update that did it. When Apple didn't release a fix in a timely manner (still haven't) i resorted to following the instructions here and I haven't had one wifi problem since I've done it (over a week).
solstace

2007-07-30, 06:48

Sorry to hijack this thread, but with my C2D 2GHz Black MacBook I'm noticing that I'm consistently experiencing 5-40% packet loss (according to PING) over WiFi that I can't recreate on any other machine, nor at home. At work we have pre-n Airport Extremes running as access points, where as at home I use a horrible Belkin 54G box.

Both home and work networks are set up with the same channel (after checking the area for other networks/interference) and the same SSID/WPA2 password, so for all intents and purposes each access point should look the same. In all cases, connecting with a cable is absolutely fine!

Anyone got any clues? Is the packet loss a consistent issue affecting others on this thread?

C :-o

Last edited by solstace : 2007-07-30 at 06:49. Reason: Further info...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-07-30, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
I was having a lot of issues with wifi on my MacBook too...as was my brother. It was the 10.4.10 update that did it. When Apple didn't release a fix in a timely manner (still haven't) i resorted to following the instructions here and I haven't had one wifi problem since I've done it (over a week).
I was a bit scared of messing with my kexts, but this problem got so annoying that I decided to try it. And it works! Thanks for the link!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-01, 07:45

Any have issues with the latest update released yesterday?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-01, 08:24

Nothing asploded, but it's still dropping the connection sometimes. Do I have to restore the 10.4.10 kext file before updating? I didn't get any errors upgrading, but perhaps it skipped that file? It seems to work for a lot of people, but there are still some reports that it doesn't fix the problem for everybody.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-01, 08:34

I never did the ktext mod on my system so I can't tell you. I'm hoping someone like you would be the guinea pig.