Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 5 of 94 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-12-30, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I like the vertical shots; I understand that the others are probably meaningful personally, but I don't know you... and they don't elicit enough emotional connection to make me want to see it for myself...

Not meant to be overly critical...
No, it's not a problem; I don't usually go out trying to take great pictures. I've got a lot that aren't here for a reason, heh.

I like scenery and nature, which is why most of the horizontal shots are here. Some of them are just pictures that are "fun to look at" for me. I've never pursued photography as anything more than an idle hobby, so getting feedback about how I compose pictures is always helpful.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2006-12-30, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I like these two. The first, because sunrise (sunset?) is a stunning time of day; the shot has nice clarity; and I like the contrast of the sky with the darkness of the ground, and the sun's intense brilliance sandwiched in between.

This second shot is just fantastic! Wow. I really think it's fascinating. For one thing, the conveyor looks like a golden bridge to heaven... that just ends in mid-air. Oops!

The steel and the lights are lovely and artistic, with the man-made, almost lacy structure so perfectly dividing the darkness of the sky from the lightness of the earth.

It's ironic that this visually-appealing creation is for the purpose of moving... dirt. Juxtaposing the intricate fabrication of man versus the ancient plainness of the earth. Okay, I'll shut up now.

You know what, I think you should get a nice print of the last shot, frame it, and present it to your boss (or the company president ) as a gift. It wouldn't cost you too much, and would be a nice (suck-up) gesture.

If 'scads' of people loved it, you could offer prints for sale, rake in the cash, retire young and go live on an island in the South Pacific.

Okay... maybe not.
Wow, thanks a lot Windswept. I don't usually get a lot of critique for my shots at work so this is good.

I don't think i will be printing off a copy to give to my boss just yet. I think brown nosing isn't looked at to kindly around here. Maybe when i leave this job i will do a nice montage with some of the better shots.

On the afternoon i went out to take these shots, it was just gorgeous. I only had one afternoon available to shoot as much as i could. It's a great place to shoot though, with massive equipment and the really nice landscape. The mine is surrounded by hills, so it was easy to get in a 4WD and look for a nice place to take the photos.

I'll try and post some more as soon as i get back on my normal computer.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-12-30, 22:05

Nice shot of Orion!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-13, 18:18

I liked the moon in this shot, though I wish it were a little bigger.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-01-13, 22:29

ShadowOfGed, your last photo: those are Peter Werth moccasins! I had a pair of those a few years ago, right down to the colour. 'Course I didn't ruin them by tucking awful blue jeans under the tongue. WHY do people do that?! Number one rule for wearing trousers, any trousers, with shoes, any shoes: let the leg fall over the top of the shoe. Else you look like an ungainly clown. While you're at it, make sure the colour of the socks matches the trousers, not the shoes: the goal is elegance, not big-foot. The guy in the photo has also decided to fold up half the leg... (No offence if this is your best friend, by the way.)

Phoenix, I like your third shot best; love the back-lit dust streaming off the truck's back. The golden light and golden dust is also very appropriate for a gold mine. Nice shot.

julesstoop, your shooting is good enough to deserve a better camera with lower noise, sort it out man!

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-13, 23:24

Some I took this summer in the Kansas City area:

(this was taken from a moving car on the highway!)

Click for larger.

If anyone wants any really big (3072x2304) just PM me.

Last edited by World Leader Pretend : 2007-01-13 at 23:35.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-14, 13:49

Wow, WLP, was that giant spider funded by the city? Yikes!
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-14, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
ShadowOfGed, your last photo: those are Peter Werth moccasins! I had a pair of those a few years ago, right down to the colour. 'Course I didn't ruin them by tucking awful blue jeans under the tongue. WHY do people do that?! Number one rule for wearing trousers, any trousers, with shoes, any shoes: let the leg fall over the top of the shoe. Else you look like an ungainly clown. While you're at it, make sure the colour of the socks matches the trousers, not the shoes: the goal is elegance, not big-foot. The guy in the photo has also decided to fold up half the leg... (No offence if this is your best friend, by the way.)
No offense taken; he was just one of my coworkers this summer. He was also from Sweden. We'd been walking around a lot that day, so the jeans-tucked-behind-tongue problem may have been an accident. I agree that pants always go over the shoes, but sometimes I think this problem happens accidentally.

*shrug*

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-14, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Wow, WLP, was that giant spider funded by the city? Yikes!
Actually, he is a younger sibling of a more famous one in Spain. They were made by the same guy.

Here is the one in Spain: Link
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-30, 23:40

Bad Day?
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-30, 23:51

pic i took when it snowed in the desert in AZ

åsen

2007-01-31, 11:20

A photo taken last week by Bjørn Rørslett in the forests north of Oslo.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-01-31, 14:30

I took this picture last christmas morning and uploaded it yesterday to my flickr stream. It's currently in the flickr explore 500:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-31, 18:54

I have no idea why I like this shot so much but I do. The original photo was quite a bit larger so I cropped it down a bunch and the resolution isn't great because of that. But I actually like the graininess in the shot. I'm taking a photography class now and we're working on composition. Any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Actually, he is a younger sibling of a more famous one in Spain. They were made by the same guy.

Here is the one in Spain: Link
My wife and I saw that one!

(click for bigger)

They were taping some sort of bollywood video or something at the time and that guy in the hot pink jacket was HILARIOUS. He was almost a walking caricature. We had a good time.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-31, 19:44

This my favourite of my NYC pictures so far.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-01-31, 20:58

Mmmm, espresso.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2007-01-31, 23:36

This is one of the first pictures I've ever taken with my new D80. Which is the first camera I've ever owned.

Last edited by Artap99 : 2007-01-31 at 23:38. Reason: Stupidity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-01, 01:45

http://web.mac.com/kellyteam/iWeb/To...%20PHT135.html

So click on the image and see my portfolio I just submitted for my class. It was a bit more of a pain than normal for me to shoot this time. I was "under the weather" for the first week of the portfolio which really limited me going outside in the freezing windy cold weather.

Can you believe the instructor wanted me to get up for a sunrise shot?!? I did, but it was tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I have no idea why I like this shot so much but I do. The original photo was quite a bit larger so I cropped it down a bunch and the resolution isn't great because of that. But I actually like the graininess in the shot. I'm taking a photography class now and we're working on composition. Any comments?
My only real suggestion is to re-shoot that picture but frame it like you have it cropped now. The tip of the chopstick is a little distracting to me though, kinda sticking in my face. I like the noise (grain look) sort of, but you are far better off to take the image clean and add noise through Photoshop later if you wish. Or bump you ISO way up when you re-shoot it. Then you'll get a more natural type of noise from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew View Post
Mmmm, espresso.
My friend, my friend.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-02-01, 17:37

turtle2472, your tower photos are a bit like colour versions of the 1920s stuff when photographers were just getting used to the new Art Deco skyscrapers (Empire State Building, etc.) that were springing up, and therefore taking lots of photos of them. You've got a funky colour look going on in the one you posted to this thread: is that just the early sunshine or a bit of PS? I like the palette, reminds me a little of early Ektachrome that's starting to fade a bit.

What do you think of this guy's photos? He starts off with a great idea, decently executed (her eye is just starting to close, instinctively ), and then it sort of peters into a studenty, badly-edited collection of photos, a few of which are excellent and many of which show real talent. Just a young photographer whose stuff I came across a couple of days ago.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-01, 18:05

Quote:
turtle2472, your tower photos are a bit like colour versions of the 1920s stuff when photographers were just getting used to the new Art Deco skyscrapers (Empire State Building, etc.) that were springing up, and therefore taking lots of photos of them. You've got a funky colour look going on in the one you posted to this thread: is that just the early sunshine or a bit of PS? I like the palette, reminds me a little of early Ektachrome that's starting to fade a bit.

What do you think of this guy's photos? He starts off with a great idea, decently executed (her eye is just starting to close, instinctively ), and then it sort of peters into a studenty, badly-edited collection of photos, a few of which are excellent and many of which show real talent. Just a young photographer whose stuff I came across a couple of days ago.
I hadn't seen his works before, thanks for the link though. I'll go through those pages in the near future.

As for my tower, it was taken at sunset. The shadow line just above the concrete and below the yellow stuff is created by the sun being pretty close to the horizon already. It just so happens that that wall faces mostly west. No PS in post production, just a touch of sharpening. Thanks for asking.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-05, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
I took this picture last christmas morning and uploaded it yesterday to my flickr stream. It's currently in the flickr explore 500:

I was going back through the thread enjoying at the shared images and noticed I haven't really commented on any of your shots yet. I have enjoyed everyone of them and I really like this one too. I have seen your Flickr shots too and I really do like your work. Keep it up!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-06, 00:05

A still life I shot last semester that I rather like. The pieces came from Greece and the board from Turkey.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-02-06, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I have enjoyed everyone of them and I really like this one too. I have seen your Flickr shots too and I really do like your work. Keep it up!
Thanks! I definitely plan to keep up.
I still have a few, unpublished shots on my hard drive for your viewing pleasure ...
(>37,000 views of my photostream so far) ...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-02-13, 20:00

Winner of the 1st prize in the Portraits (singles) category of the 2007 World Press Photo Awards.

Wounded US Marine returns home from Iraq to marry

More shots of the marriage here.

Edit: updated photo link.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2007-02-14 at 16:54.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-02-19, 15:45

Further to this thread, has anyone started having a go with Panoramio? It's a twist on the Flickr thing, but with a tie-in to Google Earth. I think it's a very interesting way of showcasing pictures of the world.

Anyway, here's me: http://www.panoramio.com/user/164573
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-02-19, 15:55

That is pretty cool. Does your camera capture GPS info or do you have to manually place every marker?

My latest:

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-19, 15:55

Quote:

I'm just sayin'.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-02-19, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
That is pretty cool. Does your camera capture GPS info or do you have to manually place every marker?
Manually placed. Nice way to remember where, exactly, you have been. I think if your camera supports Geotagging then it'll work with that, but it has a pretty simple interface to place the markers. I'm a little anal about placing the marker exactly where I stood while I took the photo, including zooming right in.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2007-02-21, 16:55

It's quite obvious, than the truth is more terrible than the fiction.
(I was replying to Spikeh post)
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-02-22, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Further to this thread, has anyone started having a go with Panoramio? It's a twist on the Flickr thing, but with a tie-in to Google Earth.
There existed some googlemaps mashups for flickr for some time (I geotagged many of my shots) and flickr has his own mapping for a while now, too. Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the difference between Panoramio and flickrMap?

BTW, I think the next step in the display of location based picture might look like this: http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/

My photos @ flickr