User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iPod did not ship on the date that was quoted.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod did not ship on the date that was quoted.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 00:12

My iPod was quoted as shipping on or before 7/22/04. That did not happen. If I call in tomorrow and complain or ask what is going on, would it be terrible of me to request that an iPod dock be sent to me, free of charge? I could point out my buying past with them, not like it matters, but it would be impressive for them to see. I don't want to screw Apple and they didnt really screw me, their estimate was off. I probably shouldnt push anything with them, but they are a business and they deserve to be treated as such, so making a call and voicing my frustration would be appropriate.

Agreed?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-07-23, 00:14

Uh, why dont you just wait. Their dates are estimations. Same thing with my emac thats coming(which means i have to give back the G5 and the powerbook ) is taking longer than said too, but im not complaining.

Founder of the Applenova Folding Team
wyvern

Send a message via AIM to wyvern  
2004-07-23, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I don't want to screw Apple and they didnt really screw me, their estimate was off.
You just said it. Their estimate was off. Estimate != promise.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-23, 00:20

I don't think a call would be totally inappropriate. My iPod has apparently shipped, but has been sitting at a FedEx sort facility for 3 days. I'm slightly frustrated, but I'm not gonna raise a stink with Apple about it. Right now it's not their fault, it's FedEx's. If it hasn't shown by Monday afternoon I'm calling FedEx.

As for asking for the free stuff, never hurt to try Just be polite, you'll get so much farther that way than if you call on the warpath. They get enough people like that each day. So be the one that changes that, be overly polite about it and maybe someone will pull some strings for you.

Come waste your time with me
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 00:25

Yeah, I'm not one to raise my tone of voice over the phone. I really would like to be able to talk to them kindly enough that it makes them want to offer me something for free.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-23, 00:35

So you're asking for a handout.

My question to you is this: Why do you deserve a free iPod dock?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 00:46

I need to dock my frustrations, ok man?
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-23, 00:48

I was looking for a real answer.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 01:01

Real answer is this: I just bought an expensive piece of technology and I could have gotten a 3G 20 GB iPod for the same price I just paid, right here at the University. I could have one on my desk right now, instead I am waiting for a new iPod, that costs the same amount of money and has the same storage. The iPod at Penn State is pre bundled with a $50 iTMS gift certificate, the new one does not come with a $50 extra.

That's my reason.

wyvern

Send a message via AIM to wyvern  
2004-07-23, 01:14

YOU chose to go with the 4G ipod without the $50 gift cert. You made the choice; you weren't forced to go either way. Deal with the consequences.

M: Um, so, I decided to get a new iPod, knowing that I would have to wait to get it, instead of doing Duke's thing. Therefore, I deserve a free iPod dock because your estimate was inaccurate.
Apple: OK, sir. But can you explain why you deserve a free dock?
M: I just told you why.
Apple: No, that was you drooling on the microphone. Why is it that you actually deserve one? Did Apple in some way treat you badly? What do we need to make recompense for?
M: Wah wah wah. Mommeee, make the bad man give me a dock!
Apple: *hangs up*

Messiahtosh then realizes his grasp of logic is so tenuous that he didn't notice his argument was utter bullshit, and is so stricken with shame at his incredible denseness that he becomes a hermit in a cave somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 01:19

Well, I could still cancel my order, then see what they are willing to offer.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-07-23, 01:23

Meh. Call them and find out. I personally wouldn't be so quick to make a request, but you seem to want to get a freebie. Go for it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 01:27

I might as well try.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-23, 01:32

Quote:
Well, I could still cancel my order, then see what they are willing to offer.
Oh yea, try to hardball 'em, big guy. Please record the conversation and post it here.

M: I'd like to cancel my order
Apple: Okay.
M: Don't you want to know why?
Apple: No, not reall-
M: You see, I'm going to tell you to cancel my order and then express my dissatisfaction, and you're going to offer me a freebie.
Apple: Oh really...
M: Yes, a free dock, thanks.
Apple: And if I refuse..?
M: I'm going to stamp my feet and buy an iPod somewhere else.
Apple: Shit!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 01:40

Actually, I was going to cancel an order before and they really tried to talk me down from it. You are off base. Asking for a dock as compensation for a deadline being missed, an estimated deadline even, is not that big of a deal.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2004-07-23, 02:10

ahhh, the lovely "The Customer Is Always Right" problem. I quit working retail because of whinos like you demanding something for nothing because the box had a minor scratch on it or a different customer put an item back on the wrong shelf, or an item was out of stock, and they wanted a discount because they had to wait for it. While i do believe that the dock being sold as a 40$ accessory is a rip off and there is no reason that they cant include it with EVERY ipod sold, just cuz their estimated ship date on a new version of a product was a little off really dosent entitle you to any form of compensation. Sure, if you call and complain and whine enough, they will probably give it to you, but good god man, show a little dignity.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-23, 04:04

Quote:
Actually, I was going to cancel an order before and they really tried to talk me down from it. You are off base. Asking for a dock as compensation for a deadline being missed, an estimated deadline even, is not that big of a deal.
I'd bang your head with a cluestick if your brain cells didn't come at such a premium. There was no deadline. There was no deadline. Repeat after me...

The only time I've ever had an Apple Store phone rep try to give a little incentive was when I canceled an order for the OS X Panther Family Pack in order to buy it locally at the Panther launch event. I was offered a $10 off (or 10%...I don't remember). Whatever, it's an item that costs more only because the customer is willing to pay more and not cheat the company. That's probably why the discount was offered. I politely declined.

The phone reps know who they are dealing with. They can read your voice. They know when you are full of shit. They are all too familiar with the occasional "John Manzione" character.

Instead of trying to milk a freebie out of Apple, you should just cancel the order and buy it locally. It saves you time, saves Apple time, prevents you from posting stupid shit on web-based message boards, etc.

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-07-23 at 04:09.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-23, 06:04

Sorry Messiahtosh, you don't deserve anything. But you are more than welcome to call and voice your dissatisfaction with them. But if you demand a free dock because they missed their estimated ship date by one day you'll get nothing. I don't know why you think you deserve anything from them and I don't think you can logically defend your claim of deserving a free dock. It seems that you want a dock and just don't want to pay for it and are looking for any excuse to demand one. If it ships a week late then complain or if they ship the wrong product you can complain. But come on, this is Apple you're talking about, when have they ever been prompt about shipping new products? You should have known it'd be delayed.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-07-23, 06:15

A free dock because it's shipping a day late? And you want to work at Apple? I could see upgrading the shipping because it helps remedy the problem. But not a dock. It's not commensurate with the issue you're having. Trying to cancel could work if they had a hard time selling the iPods but they can't make them fast enough.
k squared

2004-07-23, 07:52

Apple estimated my iPod would ship on 7/21. It really shipped on 7/20 and I received it yesterday. So you see, the date is only and estimate.

The 4G iPod is nice, but I still like my mini.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-07-23, 07:59

Try asking that they upgrade the shipping to overnight. That sounds more reasonable to me.

It's been a while, so I may be misremembering, but I think they did that when I ordered my Blue and White G3. They missed the ship estimate, so I called them up. They upgraded the shipping to overnight with Saturday delivery. Or... none of that happened - can't remember. I definitely remember that it arrived on a Saturday via FedEx and that's not something I would normally pay for.

Ugh.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-07-23, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
Apple estimated my iPod would ship on 7/21. It really shipped on 7/20 and I received it yesterday.
You owe Apple an iPod Dock.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 08:45

Yeoww...you guys are brutal. And such transparent piling on, too. If anyone else besides Messiah asked this, you'd all be "well, I don't know...that's a good question...blah, blah, blah...".

I don't know...just funny to see. I realize Messiah's reputation carves quite a path and precedes him, ( ), but damn...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 10:35

Hmm, it shipped this morning, so I didnt and wont call Apple to complain. ETA is Monday, I'm ok with that.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-23, 10:45

My reputation? I don't recall what it was that I ever did. I just thought maybe I'd call Apple to see if I could score a free Dock, nothing's wrong with that.

Anyway, I'd bet I'm one of the few fucking kids here that have paid for all of their own Macs, so I don't want to hear anything about spoiled this or that. I work for what I get, and while I see some of the points about the whining for a free dock, I don't agree that you all had to be so harsh in the way you stated them.

I never called Apple and I won't, besides, if I wanted a dock that badly I would just buy it...and I just might. I thought maybe I could get something because I ordered on Monday, litterally as soon as the store came back online, and my iPod didnt ship until later than many first buyers.

trailmaster308

2004-07-23, 11:49

Quote:
Anyway, I'd bet I'm one of the few fucking kids here that have paid for all of their own Macs, so I don't want to hear anything about spoiled this or that. I work for what I get......
Damn man okay, so you bought you own Mac. Good for you, but no one mentioned in this thread that you were spoiled. Its like you wanted them too, but since no one did you brought it up anyway.
synotic

2004-07-23, 11:55

Quote:
I never called Apple and I won't, besides, if I wanted a dock that badly I would just buy it...and I just might. I thought maybe I could get something because I ordered on Monday, litterally as soon as the store came back online, and my iPod didnt ship until later than many first buyers.
Was it one of the ones that was originally specced to have a dock, case etc...? If so people have (rightfully) had Apple send them free of charge as those were the specs at the time of purchase.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-23, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeoww...you guys are brutal. And such transparent piling on, too. If anyone else besides Messiah asked this, you'd all be "well, I don't know...that's a good question...blah, blah, blah...".

I don't know...just funny to see. I realize Messiah's reputation carves quite a path and precedes him, ( ), but damn...
Actually, to me it wouldn't matter who posted this, I think it's absurd. I think the diction people are using in this thread are because of the author, but I don't think the general sentiment would change if it were anyone else.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-23, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Come on...his idea is ridiculous! On a side note though...whatever you can get for free though right? If anything I'd call up (if I had to, I really wouldn't) and ask when I can expect shipping...hoping they'd offer me something.

As for it being Messiahtosh...well that's like throwing gasoline onto an oil fire in your attack insulated with newspaper

**NOTE**

I purchased my own computer, iPod, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub and all the mice related to my computer! :wow:

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2004-07-23 at 12:43.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 12:37

Well maybe that's it...the tone and snippy meanness?

If it were anyone else: "Man, you just gotta roll with the punches. I don't think you should ask for a dock, because it's not really one of those deserving situations. I can see your frustration, but I'm tempted to disagree on you asking for a Dock. You may want to call Apple support first. Here, let me get the number for you..."

...but to Messiahtosh: "Grow up, fucking dumbass."