Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Wills - Lawyer vs. Off the Shelf Kit

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wills - Lawyer vs. Off the Shelf Kit
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-10-25, 15:01

There's probably a diverse age group here at AN, but I was wondering if anyone has used those off the shelf will kits. Are the terms and language in these kits easy to understand?

As a single person without kids, I don't have a whole lot of complex holdings or wealth, but would like to make sure what I do have goes to the right person (and not the government).
Would spending a bit more and having a lawyer draw one be the safer/smarter route?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-25, 15:22

Off the shelf is just fine for a strapping young lad like you. Only when you get custy and old and has been through some enstrangled relationship do you need a lawyer to sort it out.

In fact, we learned to write our living will in one of my college class. Was told that this can be used as a legal document, but that was years ago and my memory is dim.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-10-25, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
As a single person without kids, I don't have a whole lot of complex holdings or wealth, but would like to make sure what I do have goes to the right person (and not the government).
Would spending a bit more and having a lawyer draw one be the safer/smarter route?

I'd say that if you're describing your life situation accurately, you can probably do a do-it-yourself kit and be fine. When and if things change in your life, I'd highly recommend a lawyer's involvement, however. Making changes and dealing with greater complexity on your own can be fraught with peril.

On the other hand, I am no fan of the do-it-yourself bankruptcy filings. I've seen too many people really screw up their lives trying to do that for themselves and only getting themselves into a deeper financial morass.

FYI, I wish to make it clear that this post reflects my personal feelings on the matter and is not intended to be legal advice!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-25, 18:43

There's a DIY Bankruptcy?!?

I'd definitely be against it. But hey, what some wouldn't give for a extra buck...