User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple wannabes


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple wannabes
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
phoenix_gr
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2006-10-04, 23:59

There is something I need to get off of my chest before I start studying for exams.

I love Apple' rise to stardo, i have been using Apple comps since early to mid 90's, so from a very young age. However there is one thing that has bothered me, and i see this a lot at Univeristy. All these people who have caught onto the cool status of Apple, have their iPods and macbooks and what not, and suddenly they think they are apple gods and are lecturing about how they love apple.

Switchers are great for the Apple company and all of us because we benefit from increased sales, however if you have not been given crap about using a one button mouse on the comp, and cannot identify with the quack sound when the old computers booted then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true Apple fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Does anyone understand what i mean? or is it just me? any thoughts/gripes please ?

Thanks for your time and input.
Nick
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2006-10-05, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
or is it just me?
*nod*


  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2006-10-05, 00:19

Who cares? It's just a computer. The operating system it boots and the company that designed (not built) it are only two factors. What does it really matter anyway? All most people use their computers for is web surfing, chatting, writing stuff, burning CDs, and watching porn. You can do that on a fucking cell phone these days (you can't burn CDs but you can listen to music).
  quote
phoenix_gr
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2006-10-05, 00:26

Thanks Brad for the honest response, guess i have somehting to get over.

Luca, i was intending my comment more towards the branding side of the topic, rather than Apple in essence being a hardware and software company, more along the lines of being a Brand, a fashion statement, when the users used to be "nerds" "uncool" etc now those same people are using the "uncool" product as an accessory. Putting it this way, i guess the people who were labeled whatever because they used apples won. Thanks for the input, my train of thought never went that way.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2006-10-05, 01:35

You know, we can't be mad at people because they use XP AND because they are "Apple wannabes."

When I bump into a college switcher, which there are plenty of, I congratulate them. Every time.

Of course, then they tell me they use Firefox over Safari, and I give them one of these:

But the fact remains, they switched. And thats good, it takes a bit of courage to switch OS when all you've known is Windows. All of them are satisfied, too. To quote one girl I know: "I know how to use computers now, because of my Mac."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
... and watching porn ...
Remember the Dave Chappelle parody of the old "Switch" adds? That was hilarious.

Sadly, being a technology pundit is truly never having to say you’re sorry. You can be wrong for years and never lose your job.—The Macalope
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2006-10-05, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
There is something I need to get off of my chest before I start studying for exams.

I love Apple' rise to stardo, i have been using Apple comps since early to mid 90's, so from a very young age. However there is one thing that has bothered me, and i see this a lot at Univeristy. All these people who have caught onto the cool status of Apple, have their iPods and macbooks and what not, and suddenly they think they are apple gods and are lecturing about how they love apple.

Switchers are great for the Apple company and all of us because we benefit from increased sales, however if you have not been given crap about using a one button mouse on the comp, and cannot identify with the quack sound when the old computers booted then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true Apple fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Does anyone understand what i mean? or is it just me? any thoughts/gripes please ?

Thanks for your time and input.
Nick
Oh shut up.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2006-10-05, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Oh shut up.
Hey now.

It's like when your favorite too-hip-for-the-room indie band suddenly becomes a mainstream success and a household name. The logical thing to do would be to be happy that your favorite band is successful, but oftentimes, people actually stop liking the band, because it's not like it's a cool underground insider thing anymore. I'm not saying it makes sense, but it happens...a lot.

There's obviously appeal to having the computer but nobody else has, but I guess you have to ask yourself why you like the Mac (or that band, or whatever). Do you like it because it's some exclusive hardcore undeground thing that makes you feel special, or do you like it because it's a better computer? If it's the latter, then you should be happy that more people are experiencing the better computer. If it's the former, well...there's always Linux.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2006-10-05, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Hey now.

It's when your favorite indie too-hip-for-the-room band suddenly becomes a mainstream success and a household name. The logical thing to do would be to be happy that your favorite band is successful, but oftentimes, people actually stop liking the band, because it's not like it's a cool underground insider thing anymore. I'm not saying it makes sense, but it happens...a lot.
I know, and it's stupid. Grow up is what I say.
  quote
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-05, 03:39

No, I too, understand what hes saying. Although this is great that Apple now has lots more users, it has lost its "exclusivity" - I used to like feeling a bit better than most cos I used a mac.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2006-10-05, 03:49

So your point is that unless you had an Apple (insert name of retro computer here), you're not a "proper" Apple user - in fact you chose a vastly superior but probably more expensive* computer because you wanted it as a fashion accessory?


Puh-leeeze.

"I got into this first so that makes me better than you" is a ridiculous viewpoint.



* = I'm aware this is no longer true in many cases.
  quote
Eugene
careful with axes
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hillsborough, CA
 
2006-10-05, 04:17

Quack was a System Sound but it was never a start-up chime. Wild Eep was the best System 7 sound. Monkey was the best from System 6. I could live with any of the Start-up chimes Apple computers have used over the years.

"secret about box"
  quote
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-05, 04:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So your point is that unless you had an Apple (insert name of retro computer here), you're not a "proper" Apple user - in fact you chose a vastly superior but probably more expensive* computer because you wanted it as a fashion accessory?


Puh-leeeze.

"I got into this first so that makes me better than you" is a ridiculous viewpoint.



* = I'm aware this is no longer true in many cases.
I dont think that he was implying, or meant to imply, that he was better than new users, more that the apple fraternity feels less "Special" in some ways. Hes not saying it as a way to outcast newer users, but more that we are in a differnt MacEra.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2006-10-05, 04:51

I disagree. I think this part:
Quote:
if you have not been given crap about using a one button mouse on the comp, and cannot identify with the quack sound when the old computers booted then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true Apple fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.
is abubdantly clear in intention.
  quote
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-05, 05:12

Yeh, OK, that part is a bit off.
  quote
phoenix_gr
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2006-10-05, 05:26

i never said "proper" i said "true Apple fan". I dont know if you have experenced this but i have, and it usually goes along the lines of "Macs are shit, they only have one button" "macs are shit for games" etc, and then a few years later when macs are cool, then they act all "check out my apple products"etc, that is the kind of attitude i am sick of. Like i said in my original post "Switchers are great for the Apple company and all of us because we benefit".

As for exlusivity, i wasnt aiming towards that point where people only buy a hand bag because there is a 3 month waiting list etc thats going a bit off on a tangent.

As for the "quack" noise (thanks for the correction as to where it was from) but thats my point, ask most of the people who switched AND after bagging it, and they wont have a clue as to what sound you are talking about. Given that someone who has just started out using comps at 10yrs old wont know, but you get my point, im not targeting new computer users but the ones i outlined in the first statement of this post.

Wrao, you dont need to quote my entire first post just to say "shut up", a simple shut up would have sufficed.

Thanks

ps the whole macs are shit for games routine, yeah they are for games, but who here buys macs for games???

Bryson, yes believe it or not people do by more expensive products just for a fashion statement. eg Diesel Jeans how many times more do they cost than Just Jeans, do they both look good? yes, do they both do the same thing? yes, see the pattern
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2006-10-05, 05:33

phoenix_gr, by your definition, I'm not a "true" Apple fan.

I haven't been given crap about using a one-button mouse, because I normally use a multibutton mouse.

I guess I'm just not worthy of my new MacBook, then. Damn.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
Banana
is the next Chiquita
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
 
2006-10-05, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I guess I'm just not worthy of my new MacBook, then. Damn.
Same would apply to me.

Should we form a Mac Fanboi Wannabe support group to deal with our unbearable pain?


















  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2006-10-05, 05:39

Peep my new rank. I'm sorry guys, I just can't help it. All those years I thought I was an Apple fan...but I never switched to the One Button Mouse. I'm feel so...empty now. *tear*

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
Banana
is the next Chiquita
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
 
2006-10-05, 05:41

There, there.

We're there for you buddy. Eventually, we'll learn how to be the true apple fan. It will be rigorous and enduring, but remember!

A journey of thousand step begins with a single step!

Courage, Roboman!
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2006-10-05, 05:46

It's just...I'm on Step Seven of the Apple Wannabe Steps to Recovery: "Get an Apple tattoo." I'm just not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment...but at my last Apple Fanboy Wannabes Anonymous meeting, everybody was showing off their Apple tattoos, and this one guy even had Clarus the Dogcow (or is it Claris? God, I don't even know anymore...) and I felt like I had let everybody down. I had let myself down.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-10-05, 05:56

The only problem I have with Apple getting more popular is the sense that they are caring less about the fine details of their products. It might just be their evolution, but they used to pay very fine attention to detail where Brad would cringe when they had something a pixel off. Now your lucky if they follow any of their design rules, and I don't mean this in a "cool apple is thinking out of the box" type way.

phoenix_gr— I can relate though about people who used to hate and make fun of macs now using them. I have a friend who is on his second powerbook, who back in middle school made the screen name "macsuxIII" (maybe I and II were taken? )

Of course I own apple stock, so the more consumers the better. As long as we have Brad around to re-theme iTunes for us, I can deal with apple dropping the ball if they choose to pick it up again.
  quote
phoenix_gr
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2006-10-05, 06:02

Alright, alright, point taken about the one button mouse, however you may have missed my point, my point is that switchers who I have previously known to bag apple have now think they are so great because they use apples, this annoys me. Does that clarify things?

Now, note that in my post i have specified that my opionion is based upon personal experience which has shaped my attitude to certain switchers who I know, i didnt say everyone.

No need for the apple wannabe comments, i never came here and gunned down anybody, their views, beliefs or what ever, i merely expressed my opinion on some hypocrites that i have come across.

To reiterate the one button and quack comments were examples of things people can identify with if they have been using macs for a long time (i am aware of 3rd party two button mice, however that wast my point)

Thanks (see how even from the first post i have been absolutely polite, Brad was the first to disagree, and i didnt open up witht the wisecracks, so guys, if you disagree, just say so , if you want you can justify your response but dont critisise me for my opinion which i have unequivocally justified)

Last edited by phoenix_gr : 2006-10-05 at 06:05. Reason: Ast3r3x your second paragraph is an example of the kind of comment i was after (no not one that agrees with me), but a comment that says yes or no...with an explanation.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-05, 06:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
Alright, alright, point taken about the one button mouse, however you may have missed my point, my point is that switchers who I have previously known to bag apple have now think they are so great because they use apples, this annoys me. Does that clarify things?
Yeah. You don't like hypocrites. Who does?
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2006-10-05, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
To reiterate the one button and quack comments were examples of things people can identify with if they have been using macs for a long time (i am aware of 3rd party two button mice, however that wast my point)
But the point is, you don't have to have been using Apple for ninety bajillion years to understand what makes them better. My first mac was a Indigo iBook (which was pretty old when I got it). Does this mean I'm not "proper"?

I think what your point was meant to be was those people who "dissed" Apple before who are now into it because it's cool. Fair enough, but maybe they just didn't realise before what they were missing. Maybe the FUD got them. Is that their fault?

Quote:
Thanks (see how even from the first post i have been absolutely polite, Brad was the first to disagree, and i didnt open up witht the wisecracks, so guys, if you disagree, just say so , if you want you can justify your response but dont critisise me for my opinion which i have unequivocally justified)
Man, I hate Applenova wannabees that don't realise that the wisecracks are the very heart and soul of the forum.... Seriously, though, toughen up. If you state a controversial opinion, expect people to take the piss out of you.

Last edited by Bryson : 2006-10-05 at 07:12.
  quote
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Some place
 
2006-10-05, 07:13

the only reason I bought a mac because I was fed-up of friggin' windows OS. And yeah I like the sleek design without shit poppin' up from sides.

Oh yeah... when I take out my laptop, ppl are like "ooooo... you have a mac". So what, I have a mac. I ain't GOD.

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though

Last edited by Sketch : 2006-10-05 at 09:41.
  quote
AWR
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: State of Flux
 
2006-10-05, 07:21

Hey, I resemble that remark. Leave me alone.

I see it like this: it's like walking around for years with your shoes tied too tight, and then realizing it doesn't have to be so. I love the barefoot freedom I've got now. And I'll tell people if they want to know. Using stuff that works well is a lot of fun. What do you propose us Apple newbies do? Go to Stardo? Return our stuff, or just use it out of sight?

Good luck with your exams; it's better taking them with things like this off your chest.
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2006-10-05, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Man, I hate Applenova wannabees that don't realise that the wisecracks are the very heart and soul of the forum.... Seriously, though, toughen up. If you state a controversial opinion, expect people to take the piss out of you.
There is something I need to get off of my chest before I get to work for the day.

I love AppleNova' rise to stardo, i have been using AppleNova forums since the day it was started, so from a very young age. However there is one thing that has bothered me, and i see this a lot on the Internet. All these people who have caught onto the cool status of AppleNova, have their bookmarks to VTP and the clinic and what not, and suddenly they think they are applenova gods and are lecturing about how they love applenova.

Switchers are great for the AppleNova community and all of us because we benefit from increased discussions, however if you have not been given crap about the split from AI, and cannot identify with the nailgun guy when Windswept bans a spammer then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true AppleNova fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Does anyone understand what i mean? or is it just me? any thoughts/gripes please ?

Thanks for your time and input.
Brad

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
  quote
sunrain
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portlandia
 
2006-10-05, 08:36

Golden.
  quote
Wyatt
On twitter: @bwyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Near Indianapolis
 
2006-10-05, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
*snip*
Greatest post ever.
  quote
intlplby
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
 
2006-10-05, 09:15

http://www.tcp.com/~dschaub/readme.html

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/...c-startup.html

btw... anyone got a link to the wild eep and the monkey startup sounds?
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cum sEE my SiLLy tHreaD and mOCK mE 4 it!!!1!1! chaos123x Speculation and Rumors 90 2006-10-05 13:22
Press event set for Oct. 12th propheci Speculation and Rumors 1344 2005-10-12 14:35
OSX Subscription? chaos123x Speculation and Rumors 4 2005-06-09 09:56


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2019, AppleNova