MC: General Minecraft Good Neighbor Guidelines

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: General Minecraft Good Neighbor Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-14, 11:16

I have noticed some bad behavior recently around one of my construction sites. So I thought it would be a good idea to re-iterate some common sense rules:

1) Do not remove, replace, move, or otherwise adjust torches unless you specifically know that you placed them.

2) Do not plant trees randomly about the map unless they are well removed from civilization AND in the middle of a forest or field which is NOT already lit. This act is identical in its down stream consequences as removing a torch, don't do it.

3) If you break glass you shouldn't have, replace it.

I am sure there are others, but these are the ones on the top of my head right now...

Atariboy

2011-04-14, 13:05

4.) When your 3 year old son can log on, be sure to tell him that the others on the server are NOT there for punching.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 20:42

5) If I'm ever slow to respond to a question, or if I ever seem to get stuck behind a door, or if I generally act slightly retarded, it's probably my connection. I probably tried to answer your question but my answer won't appear until five minutes later, when it will make no sense. This is also why sometimes I don't kill sheep; sometimes it can take a ton of attempted hits and a lot of waiting just to get one hit to register, much less a second. Please be patient with us poor unfortunate WiMAX users (i.e., me).

Also, if I do something actually stupid, or inconsiderate, please tell me. I don't want to be a jerk. In Minecraft.

If I'm a jerk here, it's probably for a good reason.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-14, 23:16

6: Please don't demolish anything without asking (preferably the originator) first. We lost the original Bridgeport "bridge" today and while I do like the replacement, if I had been asked, I would have voted to keep it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
6: Please don't demolish anything without asking (preferably the originator) first. We lost the original Bridgeport "bridge" today and while I do like the replacement, if I had been asked, I would have voted to keep it.
Really? Wow.

I mean, I have no emotional attachment to any of the bridges whatsoever, but it's kind of weird that someone just tore it down.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-14, 23:28

Quote:
6: Please don't demolish anything without asking (preferably the originator) first.
This a hundred times over. I know I've said the same thing in-game, and I think I've said it in the forums too.

ASK FIRST.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 23:43

Bold and all caps, people. He's serious.

He has to be nice, because he's The Bradmin, but what he really wants to say is that if any of you mess with any more buildings without asking, he'll hunt you down, chop off your toes, and make you eat them. Your own toes! You'll walk with a limp, and your breath will smell like feet, and it'll all be your damn fault.

A Quick Ask Before You Pickaxe can spare you the humiliation.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-15, 12:01

Here's an easy catchphrase to help remember:

Ask before you axe!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 01:43

Quote:
We lost the original Bridgeport "bridge" today and while I do like the replacement
I saw this new replacement bridge for the first time tonight, and I'm going to be blunt here. I think the new bridge is ugly. I don't like it.

Given the opportunity, I'd tear it down, but instead I'll respect the rule that Bryson and I just emphasized above.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-16, 11:16

Should I change something about it or just tear it down?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-07, 17:36

Here's a good Neighbor guide point:
Close the door after you pass through it. Quit leaving doors open. People put doors up for a reason.

No really.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-07, 18:02

Yes dad.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-08, 21:43

Do NOT take sand from around spawn or near Bridgeport. Seriously, who does that?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-08, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Do NOT take sand from around spawn or near Bridgeport. Seriously, who does that?
Agreed. There are chests full of sand and glass in the exchange. If you need some and don't want to level a desert, use the exchange.

If that's not enough, come talk to me or turtle, and we'll see about using some dark magic to generate resources for you.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-08, 23:09

OMG yes!!!
Somebody keeps leaving my gate open at Olde Towne.
srsly, it's a turn and a click.
it's very annoying and not very neighborly.

Turtle was on and said that his dogs are missing and that sand was missing from his park.

wtf?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-08, 23:49

Yeah. I noticed while I was at the park earlier today that my three dogs (2 for Mrs T and 1 for me) are gone. Also, someone took sand from the lake right as you come out of the stairs at the end of the skyway. How do I know sand is missing, the current in the once still water.

The dogs I'll try to believe it was them despawning, though I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. If I find out who doesn't understand what being a neighbor is I'm personally going to ban you from my server. Very not cool people.

Don't kill someone else's pet and don't take sand from an area that's not open for mining.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-05-09, 00:33

Aren't there logs you guys can check for this type of thing? I'm seriously surprised every time I read one of these posts - I think we're all under the impression that this has been well trodden ground.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 00:34

Not for mining activities. The logs track chat, commands, and internal server messages, but that's it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-09, 00:37

Who the hell kills somebody else's doggies?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Aren't there logs you guys can check for this type of thing? I'm seriously surprised every time I read one of these posts - I think we're all under the impression that this has been well trodden ground.
Even if there were, would it be worth it to grep through them when we just need players to act neighborly? Really, it isn't much to ask. I'm gonna log on as Mrs T in a sec and see if she can see her dogs...or my dog for that matter. I've already filled in the water/sand at the park.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-05-09, 00:39

Well, short of interrogating the people who logged in and out it sounds like you guys are gonna have to catch someone red handed.

I reckon I haven't been on for a couple weeks now, I wonder if any of my stuff has changed. Not that I'd really mind all that much at the moment - I don't have the passion for the blocks lately.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

arteggio

2011-05-09, 07:49

Unless someone's gone around killing every single spottable wolf, I don't think they've been murdered. The dog I had sitting on my front porch in Ravonia isn't there either.

Yesterday it seemed hostile and passive mobs are turned off. Wouldn't turning off passive take away the dogs too?

I just checked this morning, and it still isn't there. If passive mobs are on again, perhaps tamed dogs don't return?

As for sand matters, I'm building a rail out from my Grand Raven station (will probably be done later today) to the sand mine-desert in the far west, and it will be built to allow storage carts. If someone's agitated over a quick need for sand and there's none in the exchange and Brad or turtle aren't on, it's a very short ride from Bridgeport to Ravonia, and my express line to the desert is even shorter. Mine away. This must be more convenient than running around locales looking for little splotches of sand on the map...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Yesterday it seemed hostile and passive mobs are turned off. Wouldn't turning off passive take away the dogs too?
Bingo!

That's probably our answer. Yesterday, several of us were trying to figure out why FPS performance drops so much within Bridgeport, and as we were isolating possible variables, I turned off mobs (which did improve FPS). Turning off mobs doesn't just suppress them from view; it removes them.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 08:15

Well I actually made that comment in game last night though I thought it might have been related to the server upgrade. Makes sense that removing all mobs would remove my dogs. Oh well, at least it isn't due to a malicious act.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-09, 08:39

I'm afraid of wolves because I can't seem to control-click accurately with my trackpad so I apparently wind up enraging them (rather accurately) and they kill me. Now I just leave them be!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-09, 22:51

The music in the bar was changed. Not sure who is causing mischief, but that's several instances of mischief on the server in the past couple of days.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
The music in the bar was changed. Not sure who is causing mischief, but that's several instances of mischief on the server in the past couple of days.
Several of us were in there earlier and noticed that the rhythm is off and it seems it's never quite consistently off. So, it might be either an issue with your circuit or with music circuits in SMP in general. Also, Robo mentioned accidentally changing the pitch of the first note but couldn't get it back (IIRC).

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-09, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I was going to tell you. Earlier today I accidentally right clicked the first note block once. Sorry

As an unrelated thing, the timing on the notes seems to change between several different timing patterns; we were talking about that earlier. I think bb counted four different rhythms?

Edit: Beaten by three minutes! *raises fist*

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-09, 23:05

No worries with regard to the changed note. As for the timing, that's on Notch. Redstone songs are ALWAYS slightly off. In the really elaborate songs, they are never the same twice. Shame, really.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-11, 08:49

Kraetos, as you suggested, I went to your castle and took 4 netherrack for my new fireplace. I then used a lighter to burn down my library books.