HFC, Google Maps for Safari!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HFC, Google Maps for Safari!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-28, 19:32

Dooods.

THIS is by far the coolest, most efficient online map service I have ever seen. No clutter, very detailed, and the damn thing has like scrolling as you move the arrows around.

I LOVE IT.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-28, 19:36

Welcome to two weeks ago. I'd like to introduce you to Last Tuesday and All Your Base. PPP-PowerBook is over by the punch getting another drink and goatse is hamming it up with the DJ.

Moving to General Discussion since this is tech stuff.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-28, 19:50

Oooo. I feel like an arse. That's what I get for using MacCentral for all my Apple news. They just posted a story this afternoon. Hadn't heard of it prior.

Pwned.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-28, 20:27

Does it now work with Safari? As of last Thursday, it didn't. That would be news.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-02-28, 20:28

Um, Brad, he said "Google maps for Safari".

That's the news today, added support for the Safari and Opera Web browsers.

"Two weeks ago" was news of the service itself, without real support for Safari.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-28, 20:29

Actually, if you read that other thread, you'll see that it did work for Safari then... just not perfectly.

Heck, it's not even working perfectly in Safari right now! Dragging the Y axis is flipped, for one.

edit: Scratch that... the Y axis is working properly now but wasn't earlier. Weird. I'll count that as "buggy."

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-28, 21:28

Does it have any other countries!?!?!

I hope they add that feature soon as it is cool.... Very responsive... But not much use outside the US!!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-02-28, 21:30

Damn, Google is just rocking the kazbah these last couple years. Best thing since sliced bread.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-28, 23:20

No other countries yet. Hopefully Canada gets added in short order.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-28, 23:57

Just to clarify, Google's officially added support for the Safari and Opera web browsers.
http://macminute.com/2005/02/28/google-maps/

It looks like parts of Canada are there... at least Toronto. Not sure how well the searching for Canada is though.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-03-01, 18:09

Man, if they combined this with all the Keyhole stuff they bought, that would be truly amazing.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-01, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
No other countries yet. Hopefully Canada gets added in short order.
From the zoomable map, I found the Canuck streets I've lived on going back 20+ years.
BC, Alberta... looks quite comprehensive... haven't tried the search function, but the maps seem accurate.

edit: the search and local search functions work for Canada...

Try local searching for 'Coffee' in 'Vancouver, BC' and the lettered pins get overloaded without even touching the downtown core and its saturation of Starbucks (one intersection on Robson has a Starbucks on three of the four blocks - curiously not displayed)

Trés cool.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-03-01 at 18:56.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-03-01, 18:51

I've noticed that some addresses appear on the opposite side of intersections. It's as if certain places are off by half a streetwidth. I know it's not exact down to showing buildings, but I think the general address markers should at least match up to the same block.

Like this is wrong:
Sample search.

It's beta. But before apologists clamor to say it's close enough, remember this is a resource people use for driving. Close enough isn't good enough for maps. Assuming I didn't discover the only flaw in the entire system on my first try, I can only assume there are other inaccuracies, so I'm curious how accurate it seems to y'all, in a beta tester kinda way.

I'm sure it'll be tweaked and refined. I love it. Particularly the fonts and clean lines and vectorness.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnq : 2005-03-01 at 19:04.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-03-01, 18:55

Whoa, how long has "Local" been up for at google? Cool...uses google maps but spits out gifs?

Google Local

Says it's new...
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-03-01, 19:03

Been around a while I think. ::Searches::

Yep. Been around almost a year now.
http://www.clickz.com/experts/search...le.php/3329201
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-03-01, 19:06

Then why does it say "new" in red text next to it on the main www.google.com page?
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-03-01, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
Then why does it say "new" in red text next to it on the main www.google.com page?
No clue. It's now a "graduate" of Google Labs (see right side listing), so I'd hardly call it new.
http://labs.google.com/

It hasn't been promoted very heavily, so I guess "new" in the sense of bringing it to the front page.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-01, 19:26

mapquest must be quaking in their boots. They'd better have something REALLY good planned if they want to stay afloat. I think their days are numbered. Good. Too many obnoxious ads anyway.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-03-01, 20:35

i stopped using mapquest looong ago, i got tired of getting pissed at the tiny little maps they'd let you use. i love that google gives you such a large map to view, but im still gonna stick w/ Route 66.
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2005-03-01, 20:51

...and Google did buy Keyhole the satellite imaging software company.

Vectored street maps + search engine + hi-res satellite images = ?

Features I'd like to see:
alternate routing - "Chicago to Atlanta via I-65" (instead of this)
middle points - "Seattle to Carson City to San Diego"

Screed
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-03-01, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
mapquest must be quaking in their boots. They'd better have something REALLY good planned if they want to stay afloat. I think their days are numbered. Good. Too many obnoxious ads anyway.
Well, considering Mapquest has belonged to AOL for many years now, if I'm not very mistaken, they don't need to have immediate worries of financial trouble
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-03-04, 20:26

All right... They've already improved their coverage of Canada in the last few days! Provincial borders are now depicted as well as the main trans-Canadian highways, even at a high level view.

autodata
hustlin

2005-03-04, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
Whoa, how long has "Local" been up for at google? Cool...uses google maps but spits out gifs?

Google Local

Says it's new...
It's been around for a while, but it's gotten a bunch of new features in recent weeks/months.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-04, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
i stopped using mapquest looong ago, i got tired of getting pissed at the tiny little maps they'd let you use. i love that google gives you such a large map to view, but im still gonna stick w/ Route 66.
excuse me but if you are referring to the Mac version of Route 66.....its complete and utter shit. I bought that damn piece of software and its by far the worst money I have ever spent. It's slow as hell, completely inaccurate and useless.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-04, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
excuse me but if you are referring to the Mac version of Route 66.....its complete and utter shit. I bought that damn piece of software and its by far the worst money I have ever spent. It's slow as hell, completely inaccurate and useless.
Don't try and sugar-coat it 'nut ... just give it to me straight!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-03-05, 00:51

All right now I'm pissed. I can't find the Saddle dome in the Calgary coverage area, though they depict all kinds of other venues like colleges, cemetaries and some other sports place.

johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-03-05, 01:03

General question: Anyone using it yet for real? How's the accuracy in your experience?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-03-05, 12:33

Let's put it this way: I requested driving directions from Cupertino to my house in Illinois and the path it came up with seemed very close to ideal, based on my knowledge of the interstate system (which I've traveleld heavily in the past).

It *did* take a long time to generate those directions, even on a cable connection (maybe 90 seconds or so) but it was pretty cool nonetheless. Haven't tried any close-by directions but I'll try shortly.

PS - If you do a venue search in the local area you're displaying, it will come up with all kinds of cool stuff and mark them with little pop-up balloons.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-03-05, 12:41

Tried a couple local stores and restaurants. One was perfect and instantaneous, the other really screwed up (listed like 4 steps for the same stretch of road with no turns for example).

johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-03-05, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
PS - If you do a venue search in the local area you're displaying, it will come up with all kinds of cool stuff and mark them with little pop-up balloons.
Particularly curious about whether anyone else has had those address markers be inaccurate. I'm getting inaccuracies of half a block sometimes. I don't expect anal-retentive GPS accuracy but the correct block would be nice.

Like try a main street where you know of a few businesses. I see an odd East-West inaccuracy but I tend to think North-South is a bit more accurate?

I can't quite see a pattern, but it is odd. Close enough for nukes perhaps but not if I'm picking someone up in the rain or triple parking for food pickup.