User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPod screen frozen, HELP!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod screen frozen, HELP!
SledgeHammer

2004-06-25, 23:35

today I was listening to my iPod while I weed whacked. when I was finished with the job, I paused the music with the remote, then went about my business. I unplugged the remote and the iPod was locked. It rode around on my belt for a while (maybe a couple hours, but I don't think it was that long). When I took it out of the belt clip to dock it, I noticed that the screen was still on and displayingthe last song I was listening to, but it said it was still playing. Then I noticed that a down the midle of the screen there was as space a few pixels wide where, anytime there was something within that region, it was messed up. I unlocked it and the screen still displayed the lock. I pressed play and the music played, but the screen did not chenge. I could adjust the volume, but the screen did not change. As far as I can tell, the iPod works perfectly (buttons still click, backlight still comes on, etc) except that the screen will not change at all. I am scared that it is broken, but I don't know why (high temperature?). I'll be in New York tomorrow, so I'll probably drop by the SoHo genius bar. Hopefully they can help me. If any of you can help me, I would be very happy.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-25, 23:40

Hold down the two middle buttons (Menu + Play/Pause) until it restarts. You should only have to hold them for a few seconds. If that doesn't work, just reformat the drive and put all the stuff back on there.

Come waste your time with me
thedustin

2004-06-27, 10:51

this is thread 666...

_thedustin
Schvoo

Send a message via AIM to Schvoo  
2004-07-01, 23:01

if what DMBand said doesn't work, you could try looking at http://ipodlounge.com. They have a lot of information.
mannequin23

Send a message via AIM to mannequin23  
2004-07-02, 13:19

As DMBand0026 stated, resetting it should work, but if not, plug it into the wall and let it charge completely (plugged into the computer will not work- don't know why, just that Apple told me this) while it is still plugged in
lock, unlock, menu + play/pause

that should perform a hard-reset.
good luck.
SledgeHammer

2004-07-02, 14:19

A simple reset did the trick. I knew it involved holding down two buttons but couldn't get it to work at first. Anyway, thatnks for the help