User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 131 of 221 First Previous 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135  Next Last Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-01-06, 16:38

Top tip: When the COVID lockdown hit here and everyone ran out of TP, we were able to order a case from Staples of all places.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 13:28

All the silliness aside, kudos to the 40-year-old guy for pulling a 24-year-old who's into such stuff.

That's the only thing that really jumped out at me in the story, truth be told.

Dude is a low-key superhero, Indiana Jones and Hugh Hefner, all rolled into one.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-12, 18:16

Note: The Daily News Thread was getting off track. The missing content has been moved here.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-12, 18:37

What happened to the article about a woman walking her man? That was a great one!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 18:49

A casualty of Kens’s housecleaning.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-12, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What happened to the article about a woman walking her man? That was a great one!
Hell, I don't know. Probably got scooted over a little bit.

Edit: Fixed.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-12, 19:02

'Canadian couple' is our version of 'Florida man'.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-12, 20:59

Glad to see it's return!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-17, 16:53

Phil Spector has died at 81 of natural causes while in prison.

While the final chapter of his life was screwed up and sordid beyond imagination, my gosh...those are some amazing records he made back in the day. Those songs will still be played, and enjoyed, 50-100 years from now. And I'll take any bet claiming otherwise from any resident Cardi B fans.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-01-18, 02:30

I don't know what constitutes the final chapter, but he was a pretty fucked up, twisted person for most of his adult life.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-18, 03:42

Murder/prison.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-20, 18:25

I think she's a weirdo on wheels, but damned if there isn't something about Lady Gaga that appeals to me. She shouldn't, because I can't stand that kind of music she's most known for, but she can sing her ass off. When she's in chanteuse/torch singer mode, I kinda swoon, I have to admit.

Don't go telling anyone, I've got a reputation to uphold.

I kinda developed a crush on her in that movie with Bradley Cooper a few years ago, and then today, at the inauguration, I was like "damn, she cleans up so well when she's not wearing sandwich meats."

I think she's adorable. We probably have absolutely nothing in common, other than playing music, but I'd love to hang out with her for a few days when she's just feeling "normal". And cuddly.

Every time I see her, when she's not in "freaky mega-celebrity" mode, I find her so oddly attractive.

PS - I'm glad nobody showed their ass in DC today. I was braced for some unhinged idiocy, but was so thankful it never happened. So that's nice. I still can't quite get my head around what happened two weeks ago. It's the first time I ever recall thinking "I'm glad my grandparents aren't around to see how things have become"...it would've crushed them.

All I can say is I wish the new guy well, and that these past few years seem like some twisted prank that somehow got completely out of hand. I'm no Biden fan - I'm not even a Democrat - but I feel more cautiously optimistic, and like I can actually take a deep breath tonight, than I've felt in a long time, simply because a certain unqualified motherfucker of a mental patient no longer has the keys to the joint. Even my right-of-center self can rejoice in his departure from the national stage. Good grief, what a putz. What grown man Tweets more than knocked-up junior high chick?! Good riddance.

And that's all I intend to say about any of this kind of stuff here, so enjoy/parse all you want. Because it's all you get. I'm officially back on iMac/Mandalorian/Gillian Anderson duty.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-20 at 18:35.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-20, 20:13

Or, as I saw one person put it...

"Ok, so what were we saying before we were so rudely interrupted?"

Seriously, it's that moment in the conversation when that complete idiot of a twatwaffle has wandered in all "HAI GUYZ!" and tried to be everyone's bestest pal, only to shit a turd on the conversation with awkward blathering thinking they're incredibly charming, then finally shuts the hell up, realizes they're getting only silence, and wanders off after a final insult.

"Right, so where were we?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 08:59

Meanwhile, from the No Shit...Really?! desk...

Study: more money really does make people happier.

Apparently conducted by the same cutting-edge outfit that recently concluded water often tends to be wet.

I’ve read the above article twice now, amazed how everything in it could’ve been written by any 11-year-old who’s halfway paying attention to life/the world. But, by all means, let’s all thoughtfully stroke our chins as though we’re suddenly hearing some mind-blowing stuff for the first time.

“It seems this study has uncovered some truly fascinating insights and data...”.

Thanks, professor.

Not having to worry about food, shelter, clothing, health/medical stuff, bills, transportation, etc. surely translates into happiness for most, I would assume.

Shocking, I know.

I know my mood/outlook is quite a bit more upbeat and positive when I’ve got a bunch of unspent $20 bills in my wallet.

My options for dinner and/or recreational pursuits (A ball game? Movie? New guitar strings? New router bit or clamp? A new kite? A TIE Fighter model kit? Another big NYT crossword anthology to chip away at for the year? An evening at a vixen-infested pub?) suddenly opens up. Which, you guessed it, makes me...happy.

“Damn, I really wish I could be stuck at home rolling couch change for gas money! This whole “paying for the necessities, and pleasures of life, upfront and with no worry’ thing truly SUCKS!”

Said no one, in the history of ever.

Nobody digging through a dumpster, pissing in an alley and using today’s newspaper as their bedding is going to be all that content. Money, even a little, makes that awful stuff go away and not be an issue. That’s kinda how it works.

Such a thing is only a revelation to a culture that often demonizes wealth, or even modest comfort, and seeks to make comic book villains of those who have it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-21 at 11:24.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-21, 11:09

Hahah yeah I always laugh when I hear studies like that. One seems to come out every year. What a shocking surprise. Who pays for these useless studies anyway? Someone who wants poor people to feel even more miserable?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 11:19

Thing is, in a year (or less), it'll just be contradicted by another study saying "having money is unhealthy and causes depression".

Just wait, it's coming.

How many times have they gone back and forth on the red wine thing over the past 20 or so years?

Exacty.

It's good for you, it's bad for you, a glass with dinner will add 14 years to your life, you can look at a glass twice a week (just don't drink it), never touch the stuff/don't even think about it, drink a bottle a day, not drinking any wine ever will kill you next week, drink a small amount weekly but only when you're shooting heroin, only drink stuff you can't pronounce, etc.

Seems about 1-2 times a year some new red wine findings come out, usually completely contradicting/canceling out last year's round of discoveries/conclusions.

Yeah, yeah...I know. Science™. New stuff gets learned, the old beliefs/data/theories are disproven with further study and experience, etc. I get it. But good grief...

I pretty much ignore everything I hear/see because I know it isn't going to hold up anyway. It's the only way to be sure. I just do what I want and don't worry about it. Going with my gut and common sense (don't be an alcoholic, for starters, don't pair up with people you have zero in common with, pay as you go through life as much as possible, don't stick it into just anything with a heartbeat, expect the best but prepare for the worst, don't stay stuff online anonymously you're not willing/able to say in real life under your own name, etc.) has worked out pretty well for 51 years, and I don't have to worry about being contradicted or alarmed by "experts and studies" on a endless basis. Makes for a slightly less aggravating existence.

However, I'm not budging on the above money study...I'd much rather have it than not. I've known both, and I prefer eating and a warm place to call home. And having a couple of hobbies that sometimes requires a few bucks.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-21 at 11:45.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-21, 12:38

At the end of the day, I think half the time the conclusion comes down to who is paying for the study. If the group paying for the study is a red wine manufacture, I think you can guess what the result of the study will be. If the group paying for the study is MADD, you can bet the study will say wine is evil and nobody should drink it.

Too many of these studies start with people already having made a conclusion before hand, it's just a fund raiser to justify the existence of a position.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-21, 12:57

It comes down to the individual. There are plenty of people who struggle to get by, but are happy because they choose to be. And there are plenty of miserable billionaires.

Happiness is a state of mind. Money can contribute to a positive state of mind, but it can also contribute to a negative state of mind. Basically, an angry, negative person is likely to remain angry and negative after winning the lottery, and a happy, positive person is likely to remain happy and positive after not winning. But, a sudden influx of more money than an individual is used to will more likely make a happy person miserable, than a miserable person happy. At least in the long run. Once the sudden euphoria settles down, people return to whatever state of mind they were in before the money came along.

Go ahead, win the lottery. You will be happy. At first! Then, when all the long, lost aunts and uncles and cousins start falling from the sky, and every leaching "non-profit" is calling and knocking every day, and the lawyers and the gold-diggers are jumping out of the corners, and you're suddenly worried that your children might be kidnapped for a big payoff, and the lawsuits start piling up, well, then you'll find yourself building a gigantic house a million miles from other humans and barring yourself in your own, private prison. Then you'll find out that happiness is not driven by money.

It's all fun to talk about what you would do, and then the reality will sink in and you have to hire lawyers and financial advisors to protect you from the madness.

Give me 5 million, and I'll be happy as a clam. Give me 500 million and my life will be utterly and hopelessly ruined!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-21, 13:41

All too extreme. It needs to be compared to the relative income and opportunities which such income affords within a society. Poverty introduces a number of stresses that effect health and longevity. People who are chronically under duress or in periods of sustained duress are more likely get sick, to be victimized, and to make errors that compound their stresses. You don’t have to be dirt poor. You could be an average upper middle class earner paying tens of thousands per year in treatment for special needs children. You down size, you move to a more affordable neighbourhood. You sacrifice and scrape together all the overtime you can get, but all around you you get to watch people working half as hard to accumulate twice as much. I’m pretty sure you’d be “happier” if you could afford just one real vacation after pulling 60 hour weeks for the last decade. Or if you knew that at least there was a retirement on the horizon - something you could afford that didn’t mean liquidating your only asset - family home...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 14:30

I’d make any figure work. No such thing as too much money, just what you choose to do with it and how you’d let - or not let - it change you.

I don’t have the high-end, up-scale gene in me so I wouldn’t be yachting in Miami and doing the court side NBA stuff or any ostentatious lifestyle.

I’d have one hell of a music room and woodworking shop though.

I think I’d just be Paul, with a lot nicer furniture and Mac.

A bit of travel, a lot of making people happy, a lot of funding of things near and dear to me, etc.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-21, 15:41

Jane Krakowski of 30 Rock had a secret 9 month fling with the MyPillow guy.

Whut??

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 16:04

Hahaha. I bet she didn’t want that coming out.

Maybe she just wanted a good deal on some pillows.

Oh well, she can probably kiss her career goodbye. Those are prime cancel grounds, right?!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-21, 16:24

I thought she was dead. Now I feel bad for her.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-21, 16:24

I don't think you can fire someone just for being dumb can you?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-21, 16:26

Why not?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I don't think you can fire someone just for being dumb can you?
Are you serious? It happens all the time, if we're defining "dumb" by doing/saying something that you should know isn't going to fly amongst your peers and the cultural gatekeepers on Twitter (who wake up offended/outraged).

I don't even know if she's got a current gig...I've not seen her on anything in a while (but I'm not a big sitcom/drama watcher either).

A Hollywood actress, considering the circles she runs in, knocking it out with this whackjob pillow guy and his particular leanings, in my eyes, qualifies as "dumb". She's gonna suffer some fallout, to some degree or another.

Yes, love is blind. It's also a bit of a dumbass too.

How many CEOs, celebrities and famous-for-no-real-reason types (social media influencers, etc.) and others have stepped in it in recent years - getting canned or forced to submit a "tearful, remorseful resignation" over saying/doing something completely stupid and having it blow up in their face? Or, at the very least, having to embark on a never-ending apology tour where every interview they give until the end of time brings up their misstep?

Dozens.

She may be fine, but the (negative) feelings toward the previous guy are so strong right now that any little minnows caught up in that net are probably in for a rough ride. I'm far from a Hollywood liberal, but even I wouldn't want to be associated with anyone in DT's circle after these past four years. If I accidentally banged Kellyanne Conway a decade ago, I'd do whatever it took to make sure that went with me to my grave...for all kinds of reasons. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

While I was (mostly) joking about Krakowski's fate, enough people in her line of work have paid dearly for being on the wrong side of prevailing winds.

At the very least, she's about to be the butt of dozens of jokes from all the late-night goobers, with at least one guaranteed "pillow-biting" jab/on-screen graphic at her expense. And she may experience a (temporary?) drop in showbiz social/cocktail party invitations until her industry peers gather themselves and loosen the grip on their pearls.

Hey, it could've been worse...at least it wasn't the ShamWow guy.

This kind of stuff is just funny to me. *shrug*

PS - The above article is funny...they're both claiming they don't know each other. You're allowed to say that after a drunken one-nighter, but it's a bit tougher to sell after a months-long thing.

The article also mentions how she's an icon in the gay community. I'm thinking she's going to catch holy hell from that quarter as well for pairing up with a DT ally/supporter.

So, yeah. Her life is probably going to get interesting in the coming weeks.

"You dated who?! Damn, woman...how bad do you need a pillow?"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-21 at 17:35.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-21, 18:45

Firing someone for poor relationship choices would land you in court faster than you can say, 'I'll take you to court'. Just saying.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-21, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Firing someone for poor relationship choices would land you in court faster than you can say, 'I'll take you to court'. Just saying.
Depends on the state in which you live.

That aside, it comes down to common decency. If your employee shows up and does their job, plays well with others and doesn't give your company a black eye every time they open their social media trap, then why fire them?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 19:06

I'm not talking about "firing" (from what...I don't even know what she does).

I'm talking about the shunning/ostracizing from peers she may experience from this. She's not in the most DT-friendly environs. Just throwing in with pillow guy might be all it takes in those circles?

I'm not talking about employment (whatever she's doing, yeah...she can't get "fired", I suppose, but do you not think people could/would/do organize pissy boycotts and nasty campaigns aimed her way? The grief/hassle and possible lack of employment she might be facing having thrown in with this guy?

I'm looking at her IMDb, it looks like one of her current gigs is hosting a revival of Name That Tune (she's also in that Apple+ Dickinson show, which I didn't know). I doubt the game show is going to change the world, but if enough people were motivated, that show's ratings could be wrecked pretty quickly if folks wanted. If she were the reason for a new show suddenly tanking, because a bunch of people were boycotting/protesting the show because she's on it, I bet the producers could find some way to oust her to protect the show (assuming she didn't voluntarily give up the gig).

No, you can't get fired for banging someone unfavorable. But if said banging makes you a pariah and damages the things you're involved with, I can see that not going well. If ratings fell into the toilet and the producers deemed her responsible, they should have recourse.

And she can certainly be "not hired" if various people don't approve of her choices. That goes on all the time. Going forward, she might be on the "not a chance in hell!" casting list of this or that project?

Or, it all blows over, if she's likable and has enough powerful friends and credits and has banked enough goodwill in the industry over the years? Some celebrities cruise through rough patches, some don't. I honestly don't know where she is in the pecking order of Hollywood.

But I bet we're about to find out.

All I'm saying is: a) she threw in with quite a surprising person, b) that person is an ally of The Most Hated Man in Hollywood/Pop Culture c) the more activist-minded among us love to boycott/protest shit. If all this directly leads to a hit in ratings/viewership, she's gone. A way will be found.

But, for all I know, she's Hollywood's sweetheart and gets a pass and this is all forgotten by Saturday afternoon.

That's just hard to imagine in light of recent events, that's all. Of all people for her to have dated.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-21 at 19:27.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-21, 19:31

She could always go to Fox News.