Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Burning an ISO to DVD in XP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Burning an ISO to DVD in XP
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2006-11-11, 10:37

(I figured since this wasn't Mac related, I wouldn't put it in the Genius Bar. )
This has to be one of the most facile things a computer can do, that Windows will not let me do it:

I need to burn an .iso to DVD; I've tried Nero, some other 3rd party app, some other 3rd arty app, and was going to try "DVDBurn.exe" supplied with WIndows 2003 Server Tools Kit or whatever. In Nero, it said it couldn't be in ISO format because it's larger 2GB. In the other 3rd party apps, it just brings up some error and I don't know what to do with it. With the Tools Kit, I can't even find the app - all it has is some Command Prompt to type things in to.

It's a Memorex DVD+RW, if that means anything. I thought perhaps it wasn't formatted right?, so I erased it with Nero and I think it completed that.

Just a couple days ago I burned a small ISO to a CD on my PowerBook (No DVD Drive...), and it was miraculous compared to what I so far haven't been able to do in XP.....

So, any help? Any apps to let me burn a 3GB ISO?
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-11, 10:50

Ah, I know what you did in Nero...

Nero came up with its initial dialog box and you selected DVD-ROM (ISO), right? ISO filesystems have a 2GB filesize limit so if you try to drag your image to the Nero window with that option selected it won't let you. That's not what you want to do anyway.

Instead, when Nero opens, hit Cancel when the first window pops up and then go to Recorder --> Burn Image...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-11, 11:54

ImgBurn is a free (donationware) solution to something Vista pathetically enough still doesn't have: a way to burn ISO images. Fairly simple interface, too.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2006-11-11, 12:01

Thanks, for the Nero tip and ImgBurn. I was using CDBurnerXP, but right now (after the power went out and turned of PC erasing DVD) I have to see if one of these DVDs will not error when I try to burn or erase them... One doesn't even show up in drive anymore. I don't know if this is so difficult because of XP or RW DVDs.

Let me go waste my afternoon now...