User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

30 GB iPod Video "Subgenerations?"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
30 GB iPod Video "Subgenerations?"
evil_robot_ted

2007-01-04, 20:30

I was just looking over my Best Buy product service plan for the iPod video I picked up in 2005 when the black models first came out. Wow, I can't believe they're been out for nearly a year and a half.

My question is, is the original (September/October 2005) 30 GB black iPod video model the same dimensions and design as the one currently on the shelves? Or was there a slight revision over the past year? I thought they made a newer 30 GB version that was something like 10% thinner or something?

That said, do you think there will be iPod revisions this year? Short of making the legendary widescreen iPod, I don't see how they could really improve much.
evil_robot_ted

2007-01-04, 20:33

Nevermind, I just found my answer. Generation 5.5 is what's on shelves now. Cool, maybe I can trade mine in . . .
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-04, 21:15

Why?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-04, 21:28

The changes to the "Generation 5.5" iPod were minimal. The 60GB model was bumped to 80GB, battery life was increased, and a search function was added. (The ability to download and play movies and games was also introduced at the same time, but a software update adds those abilities to all 5G iPods.) Really, the most noteworthy change was the price drop (or gapless playback, depending on who you talk to).

So, no. It's not any thinner. it's not any sexier. Apple just fixed a few of the iPod's quirks while dropping the price.

I don't understand those "product replacement plans." Are they really intended to allow you to upgrade your perfectly functional iPod whenever something a little better comes along?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-01-04, 21:37

Don't forget the 60% brighter screen. But really why trade it in for 5.5 version when something even better is just around the corner.
tupacinla

2007-01-04, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
The changes to the "Generation 5.5" iPod were minimal. The 60GB model was bumped to 80GB, battery life was increased, and a search function was added. (The ability to download and play movies and games was also introduced at the same time, but a software update adds those abilities to all 5G iPods.) Really, the most noteworthy change was the price drop (or gapless playback, depending on who you talk to).

So, no. It's not any thinner. it's not any sexier. Apple just fixed a few of the iPod's quirks while dropping the price.

I don't understand those "product replacement plans." Are they really intended to allow you to upgrade your perfectly functional iPod whenever something a little better comes along?
So a software upgrade of my 30GB 5th generation can enable the search feature on my ipod? I heard it can't...

this true?
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-01-04, 22:37

Nope it can't, the upgrade only includes the game functionality, fast scrolling, gapless playback (movies videos etc).

On another note, call me crazy but I just purchased a video from the ITS and not only was it 37MB, the size ratio seemed to be more like that found on the cinema displays not 640x480 and not that crappy letterbox look all the videos have now. hum... something is def. up for next week.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-04, 22:51

Do be aware that the 30GB 5.5 works pretty unreliably with iPod Linux, and as far as I am aware the larger version uses a new disk controller and will not work with iPod Linux at all, yet.

So if you are planning to use any of those third party apps, say for MAME and Defender (like I wanted to) then you will be out of luck for a while...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-04, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacinla View Post
So a software upgrade of my 30GB 5th generation can enable the search feature on my ipod? I heard it can't...

this true?
Uh, no. Note that I listed "search functionality" with the features that are only on the iPod 5.5G, not with the features that were available through Software Update, which were set off by parenthenses and described as such in the text.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
tupacinla

2007-01-05, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Uh, no. Note that I listed "search functionality" with the features that are only on the iPod 5.5G, not with the features that were available through Software Update, which were set off by parenthenses and described as such in the text.
oops sorry.. just did a quick read through that but its all good! thanks
LetsWalkForward

2007-01-07, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
I just purchased a video from the ITS and not only was it 37MB, the size ratio seemed to be more like that found on the cinema displays not 640x480 and not that crappy letterbox look all the videos have now. hum... something is def. up for next week.
No, it has been like that since the Showtime event if you noticed. It's was changed the same day the 5.5G iPod was realesed. I think it's because it was also the same day iTV was demo'd and they wanted to up the resolution...But yeah, sorry for your false hope Miko!
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-07, 02:02

I love it when people exploit extended warranty services by trading in older models for new ones. Thanks for making the cost of goods/services higher for all of us.
evil_robot_ted

2007-01-07, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I love it when people exploit extended warranty services by trading in older models for new ones. Thanks for making the cost of goods/services higher for all of us.
"Exploit" extended warranty services?

How exactly is USING an extended warranty the same as EXPLOITING it? Lest you forget, customers pay a premium for this option - an extra $50 in my case - and I don't plan to put it to waste. Best Buy actually calls it a PRODUCT REPLACEMENT PLAN. It's meant to do exactly that.

What happens to the slightly defected iPod that I trade in? Why, it gets refurbished and sold again at nearly full price in a matter of weeks. Best Buy probably profits a good $10 bucks AT LEAST. Other than getting another iPod in public hands, Apple never sees the difference. And it sure as crap isn't making anything more expensive for you.

But I suppose I should thank you, since the only reason retail stores can offer such great replacement plans is by counting on the folks who buy it and then never stay abreast of what they are entitled to, thus profiting much, much more.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-07, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_robot_ted View Post
"Exploit" extended warranty services?

How exactly is USING an extended warranty the same as EXPLOITING it? Lest you forget, customers pay a premium for this option - an extra $50 in my case - and I don't plan to put it to waste. Best Buy actually calls it a PRODUCT REPLACEMENT PLAN. It's meant to do exactly that.
Skillful wording, but entirely wrong. If everyone took advantage of the 'product replacement plan,' would this scheme work? Nope, it's insurance.

Product Replacement Plan wording:

"Full Replacement
You get comprehensive coverage, with no deductibles or other hidden charges. If your product is found defective under normal usage, we will provide for a replacement."

Quote:
What happens to the slightly defected iPod that I trade in? Why, it gets refurbished and sold again at nearly full price in a matter of weeks. Best Buy probably profits a good $10 bucks AT LEAST. Other than getting another iPod in public hands, Apple never sees the difference. And it sure as crap isn't making anything more expensive for you.
When's the last time you've seen a refurbished item on a Best Buy shelf? At most they have an open-box item which was something returned within 14 days of purchase.

Quote:
But I suppose I should thank you, since the only reason retail stores can offer such great replacement plans is by counting on the folks who buy it and then never stay abreast of what they are entitled to, thus profiting much, much more.
I wasn't aware we were entitled to cheat the system. The trailing ellipsis in your second post says it all.
evil_robot_ted

2007-01-07, 18:05

Quote:
Skillful wording, but entirely wrong. If everyone took advantage of the 'product replacement plan,' would this scheme work? Nope, it's insurance.

I wasn't aware we were entitled to cheat the system. The trailing ellipsis in your second post says it all.
But it ISN'T insurance. It's specifically sold by employees with the following encouragements:

- "If your product suffers damage from normal wear and tear, you can bring it back and we'll replace it within two years."

- "Don't worry about keeping a receipt. We'll have your personal information saved with the purchase of the Replacement Plan."

So in a sense, it's a rolling market of returns. A snowball of limited liabilities. But it's contained within the retailer. I didn't believe it when they first sold it to me on a portable CD player about 6 years ago. But sure enough, there was a manager himself, telling me that in two years I could simply bring that CD player back and get a newer one with, inevitably, better features and skip protection. All I had to do was cite the "wear and tear" breakdown and I would be entitled to the replacement that I hedged at the time of original purchase.

Yeah, it could be regional managers or stores operating outside of the written rules in order to sell more plans to unsuspecting customers. I don't think they get commissions on those plans, though. So what would be the point? If it were a costly issue, they would enforce the wording more. How exactly am I cheating the system by doing what numerous salespeople have encouraged? Accordingly, why would such salespeople cheat their own system, then?

The reason is, quite simply, the bottom line is totally insignificant. The process is obviously profitable. They must be winning on it now. So why do you want no customers to win on it either?

Your arguments against the practice are the moral equivalents of turning right on a red light.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-07, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_robot_ted View Post
Accordingly, why would such salespeople cheat their own system, then?
Personal benefit.

Quote:
The reason is, quite simply, the bottom line is totally insignificant. The process is obviously profitable. They must be winning on it now. So why do you want no customers to win on it either?
Profit is part of it. In order for them to profit, and for you to take advantage of the warranty, somebody else has to subsidize it. Somebody loses, and it's obviously not you.

Quote:
Your arguments against the practice are the moral equivalents of turning right on a red light.
Turning right on a red light is perfectly legal here and doesn't adversely affect other people on the road.
evil_robot_ted

2007-01-07, 18:56

Quote:
Profit is part of it. In order for them to profit, and for you to take advantage of the warranty, somebody else has to subsidize it. Somebody loses, and it's obviously not you.
Yeah, but other people don't HAVE to subsidize it. It's totally optional. They only lose if they get nothing out of the plan, so to speak, since it cannot be cashed in (like most forms of insurance). And I know the whole thing would crumble if everybody redeemed the plan, but maybe that's a good thing. Because those plans don't make a lot of sense. (I was once offered a two-year replacement plan for $5 on a solar calculator that was selling for $4.99.)

This debate could go on forever, and I appreciate your responses. But could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeease admit that deep down, somewhere, someplace in that gray area of your soul, that screwing over a big box retailer in their own redundant schemes and language is kind of cool?
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-07, 19:12

Quote:
yeah i hate when people do that