Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Switcher's Experience: Phonecall from Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Switcher's Experience: Phonecall from Apple
SCG737

2005-01-27, 11:26

Hello all,

I work as a Systems Engineer at a University in Georgia and had been exposed to Mac's since the late 1980's. While I saw their tremendious value in desktop publishing and DV, I was firmly planted in the PC / Open Source camp until the Newton Message Pad 2000. Long story short, I loved that darn thing, and Apple killed it dead.

Anywho, I was pissed after this and resisted all things Apple until I broke down and bought a 12" G4 PB in November 2004...My first real Mac. From the moment I got the PB I have been impressed with my it. From its outstanding packaging, to its technical beauty, to its performance & OS X...I have not been disappointed at all. That was until last night.

So, I'm sitting eating dinner with my wife and the phone rings.

Me: Hello
Apple Rep: Yes is this Mr. xxxxxxxx ?
Me: Yes.
Apple Rep: We understand you purchased an Apple Laptop late last year and we were just following up to make sure its meeting your expertations.
Me: Wow! Uh, Yeah! I've had it for a couple of months now and love it more every day.
Apple Rep: That's great. So no problems at all with the PowerBook?
Me: Well its hardly even noteworthy, but my battery casing doesn't exatly fit flush into the bottom of the PowerBook. No big deal, its mostly cosmetic, and doesn't really bother me at all. Just thought you may want to know.
Apple Rep: Battery huh? Well that's not really my department. In fact I was calling because your Apple Care warranty is about to expire and I would like to offer you an extension for a very attractive price.
Me:Well I'm not really interested, but I appreciate your call.

At first I thought:
Holy crap! Here is a company calling me to make sure that their product is meeting my expertations. This is top-shelf, and fits perfectly into the image of Apple Computer. I think I'll go by a MacMini.

Then I realized:
Hey its another Dell / HP / IBM / Novell / etc calling me making small talk, only to shove a darn sales pitch down my throat when I least expect it.

This is so not in the image of Apple. Understand, I don't mind the sales pitch. If anything, I have come to expect them. Just don't ask me if everything is alright with my PowerBook only to say "Thats not really my department". AND THEN try to sell me something. Make it 2 seperate calls so I can retain my warm-fuzzy feelings of Apple.

End Rant,
Stephen
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-27, 11:36

I thought there was a year warranty on these things? If you got in November, why are they calling you about it?
SCG737

2005-01-27, 11:39

I asked that EXACT same question:

Reply: "Well, you see the 1 year warranty only covers the hardware issues you may encounter with you new mac. If you extend the AppleCare plan you can be guaranteed support for software issues, and basically anything not related to hardware."
Me: "Uh, I'm not really interested"
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-27, 11:45

Yah, the one time I called in with a warranty related issue on my G5 the person was very anxious to sell me Applecare before my year expired (which was close at hand at the time). Almost to the point of being aggressive but not quite.

It's no surprise any Apple-certified Sales Rep you meet out in the world, LOVES to sell Applecare because it is pretty much 100% margin.

However, other manufacturers and retailers themselves are even worse in my experience. CompUSA tells its sales staff to sell PCs with crappy warranties or substandard parts *on purpose*, because it's an easy way to tack on one of their ridiculous $300 warranty plans, which people almost never take advantage of. Most of the time getting them to make good on a warranty claim is a bigger pain in the ass than the computer problem itself.

It's just another kind of insurance, and we all know what insurance policies are like...

...into the light of a dark black night.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-01-27, 11:48

at the end of 90 days you do lose phone support......
I think with any laptop applecare is a wise investment.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-27, 11:52

Well, considering the rumor that Apple pushe dout its head of AppleCare for not brining in enough revenue, these kinds of things were probably the next step. I do find it curious if not flat out wrong-headed to see companies consider these support divisions in terms of how much revenue they bring in. Before, I always thought they were considered an expense and the idea was to minimize the money that goes out from them. But the service industry has been turned on its head with these extended warranties and deregulation, so that they're now considered profit centers. It's perverse IMO and it sounds like Apple is trying to model its service division like other manufacturers and retailers.

FWIW, I just dropped my iPod for the last time, and I didn't have any extended warranty. The repair would cost as much as an iPod mini, so i'm holding off and weighing my options. While the phone call was in poor taste (I loathe phone calls during dinner hours), consider an extended warranty for the laptop especially if it's being lugged around a lot. The mistake I made with the iPod was thinking that the cost was too low to justify the extended coverage, but in fact, it was in the line of fire so to speak since I took it everwhere and dropped it any number of times along the way.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-27, 11:56

SKMD: This is true. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy Applecare if I had a laptop -- particularly a PowerBook since they can be easily damaged relative to iBooks. For the screen replacement value alone it's probably worthwhile. I'm just saying in general Sales Reps can be pretty forward when it comes to warranty stuff, even Apple's reps.

...into the light of a dark black night.
mama's left eye

2005-01-27, 12:08

it doesn't sound like the telemarketer was following their script.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-27, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Yah, the one time I called in with a warranty related issue on my G5 the person was very anxious to sell me Applecare before my year expired (which was close at hand at the time). Almost to the point of being aggressive but not quite.
Yeah, happened to me too once when I called in about an iBook battery a while back. They went through their spiel and I just said "Well, I was thinking about it. But I live in FL, and you guys have some sort of legal thing where I can't buy it here... right?"

End of selling attempt.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 13:45

what legal thing in FL?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
at the end of 90 days you do lose phone support......
I think with any laptop applecare is a wise investment.
I am currently going the 12" iBook + some upgrades route, and I am thinking maybe it is better to sell the iBook just before the warranty goes out and buy a new one. Applecare is pretty costly, and you can get a good price for a laptop still covered by warranty. I already did this once but changed from a 15" PB to the iBook, and only had it for half a year. I figured out the PB has alot air in the price, so it's a worse resell and it would probably be a good idea to go with the Applecare on the PB instead of selling them once a year. If you can go with the 12" iBook, the drop in price is minimal. Any special pricing or deal you get with a new computer can only make switching computers a better choice.

+ one more thing: never found the phone support part of Applecare particularly useful... I'm (ab)using my new 90 days to ask all the questions that I didn't find the answer for last year, and they can actually solve some of them. But it's more academic interest, not much to do with real world benefits and I wouldn't pay to extend the phone support. The OS is so easy, it doesn't need any phone support.
blissed

2005-01-27, 15:37

Seen Meet the Fockers yet?

Makes me think of the car rental insurance scam... its the real way they make money... sheesh
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-27, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
what legal thing in FL?
Dunno. All sorts of stupid laws in FL.

From the Applecare data sheet:
http://images.apple.com/support/prod...DS20050111.pdf

Quote:
Note: The AppleCare Protection Plan cannot
be sold to consumers residing in Florida.
“Consumers” are persons who use their
computers primarily for personal, family, or
household purposes.
SKMDC

2005-01-27, 16:08

Florida has a law that any kind of extended warranty has to be certified by some state board or something, Apple (and many other companies) have chosen not to put their plan under the state's scrutiny. Whether it's done under protest or whatever reason has never been made clear.

As for the warranty, yeah I wait until my year is near an end before I get AppleCare, but remember it's transferable so if you sell it, it will be sold with AppleCare which can bring a higher price.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-01-27, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Dunno. All sorts of stupid laws in FL.

From the Applecare data sheet:
http://images.apple.com/support/prod...DS20050111.pdf
Yeah, it's an effort to prevent scam artists from capitalizing on the huge base of dumb old farts in FL.
Itis

2005-01-27, 17:14

I received a similar call myself a short time ago.

I'm about ready to make The Switch by purchasing a Powerbook for school. I have picked the one I would liked and saved the cart in the Apple Store for future reference while I assemble the funds. Last week I got a call from an individual who identified himself as my "personal Apple representative" asking if I was ready to purchase the Powerbook or had any doubts. I informed him I was getting the money together and would be buying within the next 2 months. He said there would be no problem and to contact him if I had questions about any Apple products and such since I would be a first timer. Even sent an e-mail with the same message for good measure.

Sure the call out of the blue was kinda creepy, but the gesture is nice. Certainly better customer service than I'd received from anyone to date. Or so I thought at least.

I sent 3 e-mails with technical and product questions to answer my Switcher doubts. None have been replied to since, guess my "personal representative" isn't too helpful unless I'm ready to buy right now.Mac users I know have done a better job seeling me, they convinced me to go fro man iBook to Powerbook.

What seemed like great customer service is backfiring into "sour Apples" for me (pardon the bad pun). Now I doubt if I should spend the $2,500 on the Powerbook, when they won't address the concerns and doubt of a Switcher when they invited his questions in the first place...
SCG737

2005-01-27, 17:31

Hey Itis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itis
I sent 3 e-mails with technical and product questions to answer my Switcher doubts. None have been replied to since, guess my "personal representative" isn't too helpful unless I'm ready to buy right now.
Apple, IBM, Dell, Symantec, Novell, Microsoft, whatever.
They are all pubically traded companies and must focus on the bottom line to remain in business. In Apple's defense, I have delt with alot of companies trying to sell technology solutions and Apple is the most plesent of the bunch.

Quote:
Now I doubt if I should spend the $2,500 on the Powerbook, when they won't address the concerns and doubt of a Switcher when they invited his questions in the first place...
Don't let it get you down. I waited two years before I finally bought my first powerbook and I have yet to regret the purchase. This is saying something for me. While I may not ever be mac exclusive, I can justify its value as a tool and excellent platform all day long.

But hey, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong,
Stephen
Itis

2005-01-27, 17:39

Oh of course the bottom line is important. I used to work computer sales for Best Buy and know what you have to do in that business. Yuck.

However, it is bad for the bottom line to offer answers and assistance, and then not provide any. I hope my experience with Apple's phone calls is unique and this tool of theirs is not backfiring since it would make the potential switcher (i.e. myself) reconsider their choice.

Let's face it, going to make from PC can seem like a big, scary change. My fellow IT guys at work think I'm nuts. Thankfully, I do work with a few mac users who've been willing to hold my hand, so to speak, and most of my doubts are gone.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 18:01

Quote:
I received a similar call myself a short time ago.

I'm about ready to make The Switch by purchasing a Powerbook for school. I have picked the one I would liked and saved the cart in the Apple Store for future reference while I assemble the funds. Last week I got a call from an individual who identified himself as my "personal Apple representative" asking if I was ready to purchase the Powerbook or had any doubts.

Sure the call out of the blue was kinda creepy, but the gesture is nice.
Apple started doing this a year or two ago. I recall something at MacInTouch about those who put their orders in "shopping cart law away" receiving calls from Apple asking if they wanted to go ahead with their purchases. Calls even went to those who had put something in their carts several months beforehand.
SKMDC

2005-01-27, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
SKMD: This is true. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy Applecare if I had a laptop -- particularly a PowerBook since they can be easily damaged relative to iBooks. For the screen replacement value alone it's probably worthwhile. I'm just saying in general Sales Reps can be pretty forward when it comes to warranty stuff, even Apple's reps.
I got the same call, I listened to her and said I would probably do it before my year was out, and she agreed. I realized it was a tit for tat phone call but my caller was pretty cool.
I only knew that AppleCare was a good idea from hanging around this den of pirates, if not it would have been idea to listen, otherwise i'd be out 900 clams that the new CPU cost down the line.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"