MC: Missing Chickens

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Missing Chickens
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-30, 13:21

So I was surprised to discover that my small version of the Fried Chicken Joint in my base had had its chickens slaughtered. While I wasn't using it as actively as I was the communal farm that I also built, I was using it. Please don't kill farmed animals without permission.
¡Damned!

2014-03-30, 17:53

!!! How could that happen?

I've only ever heard your machined meat through that corner wall… never found a passage to get to them.

Would it take someone busting blocks to get in there or is there an unfound (by me, at least) secret passage to get to the coop area?

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-30, 18:13

It would take someone removing a single dirt block... Now, obsidian.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-31, 00:13

I'm pretty sure no one would have killed them on purpose. Isn't there a maximum number of mobs and it kills off any excess?

You should name them if you want to be sure they stay around.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2014-03-31, 02:47

When man want chicken, man take chicken.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm pretty sure no one would have killed them on purpose. Isn't there a maximum number of mobs and it kills off any excess?

You should name them if you want to be sure they stay around.
We do have a child running around on the server.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-31, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
We do have a child running around on the server.
True, but this seems like pretty unlikely behavior even for Owen.

This is the first I've heard of the second meat machine too, and I would have to assume that it's buried well enough (and clearly identifiable as someone's work) that someone wouldn't accidentally stumble upon it and destroy the contents. Bryson's explanation seems much more reasonable than pinning the blame to Owen.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 06:58

That isn't actually reasonable at all (as in zero chance reasonable) -- not only does Minecraft not natively remove excess farm animals (it simply will not spawn new ones once the cap is reached), if the server by whatever act of vishnu were to kill off a number of mobs it would do so randomly not all of the mobs in one spot. This was clearly intentional -- the chickens existed fine for weeks, then none. I will name the chickens in the future, but that will not prevent intentional acts of killing, it may just make the asshat who did this a little more self-conscious.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2014-03-31 at 07:33.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-31, 08:01

I have 4+ cows in my little base, and I do believe its been made safe from mobs. Yet, I constantly come back to find there are missing cows on a fairly constant basis.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 09:19

Have you put up a sign saying 'Owen: Do not kill'? That will probably help.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-31, 11:57

https://bugs.mojang.com/plugins/serv...issue/MC-23320

Known, unresolved issue.

We eagerly await your apology.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 12:25

Keep waiting and come back with a legitimate bug next time, ie one that has been assigned to be fixed by one of the developers.

You certainly aren't owed an apology in any case.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2014-03-31 at 12:37.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-31, 12:48

Quote:
How about some burden of proof here, mister accusey-pants? Minecraft (and Bukkit and don't forget its plugins) has been littered with entity-related issues, but you seem awfully convinced that this is the act of a malicious player.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 12:50

Ok, Brad. You hold the server log and any other evidence that might quickly put an end to this discussion. Did any player kill, say, 20 chickens in a short amount of time, recently?

If the logs do not exist, whatever -- people need to behave better on the server anyway. If they do exist and exculpate all other players, great, I was wrong, and my unabashedly dark view of humanity gets a little kink of lightness.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2014-03-31 at 13:02.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-31, 12:52

Thanks to this exchange I've learned about "Name Tags".

Now I can name my cows

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-31, 14:09

Quote:

Indeed, I'm not.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 14:34

So insisting upon one is a bit ridiculous.
¡Damned!

2014-03-31, 14:36

That bug report did prompt me to think of something that might be causing it. Since I started using /back to get back and forth from town to 13topia I noticed that my horses are escaping the pens. A couple of times I've seen the glitch as it happened, and it looks like they are sunk underground, then pop up sharply. If they're near the fence sometimes they pop over, and I've seen evidence that at least 2 horses have died of suffocation (saddles on the ground).

Maybe the duckens and Drew's cows jumped into a corner and suffocated? Dunno.

I know it's only started happening since I jumped on the /back bandwagon though.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 14:50

It never happened before and none have died since, so it again isn't likely that all of them died at the same time. Honestly, and I repeat myself, if you killed my chickens, may a pox arrive on your house worse than bedbugs and the flu, otherwise whatever. Turtle's egg farm makes replacement easy enough -- it's the possibility of this being bad behavior that made it worthwhile posting about.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-31, 15:18

Curiosity question: Any cats running loose around your stuff that may have gotten in there? One found it's way into Jess' chickens a few weeks ago and laid waste to them.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-31, 15:22

Grey couldn't we test out the warping death theory?
What about testing to see what happens when we return from The End?
Could there be some effect happening from that? Because we've been doing THAT a lot.

I didn't even KNOW you had another chicken maker, and I daresay most others didn't either.

The glitch theory seems better - I though that Owen had become smarter about these things.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Curiosity question: Any cats running loose around your stuff that may have gotten in there? One found it's way into Jess' chickens a few weeks ago and laid waste to them.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Grey couldn't we test out the warping death theory?
What about testing to see what happens when we return from The End?
Could there be some effect happening from that? Because we've been doing THAT a lot.

I didn't even KNOW you had another chicken maker, and I daresay most others didn't either.

The glitch theory seems better - I though that Owen had become smarter about these things.

Well the other chicken maker is tiny compared to the one I built for the community. It was the prototype I constructed to test the design for the communal one. I've kept it active because sometimes I just need to grab a stack of food and be on my way. Here's the thing: if you walk anywhere near my house on the coast side you can hear the chickens in the ground. They were underneath a single dirt block. One didn't need to know why they were there to know they were there. One didn't have to dig for ages to get access to them, or break anything besides that dirt block.

I think most glitching occurs because of partial-sized blocks, or blocks with air spaces behind them. Neither of those is true for the hell pit I keep my chickens in. I actually designed the thing with some of the older glitches in mind (notably the fence one)...

Still, glitches do not explain all of the chickens disappearing at once.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-31, 15:46

Hands on buzzers.

I'm chatting with Dellphi and he said that Bruce's villagers were killed off awhile back. If I saw that info I forgot about it. Is this related?

billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 16:04

No, not unless the murderer of the villagers really hates me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-31, 16:10

What happened to the villagers? I remember something about a glitch some time ago wiping them out, but I wasn't around or paying close attention at the time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-31, 16:19

They *all* disappeared one day. That, and the stoplights right on that corner got all mucked up. Not sure if there was ever an answer for it. I remember Turtle and Grey scratching their virtual heads on the corner. I had been in I think the day before and they were all there chattering. Then, POOF!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2014-03-31, 16:28

Half of the item frames at EnderDragon Memorial Park went missing a one point as well (random, too, which I thought was odd). It was near enough to the time when we switched to 1.7 that I just attributed it to a 'new world' glitch rather than malice. I think the stoplight and villagers were well before that though.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 16:28

glitch. heh.
¡Damned!

2014-03-31, 16:36

One can hope.

I mean, why otherwise? That's just purposely mean and petty. It's a game ffs; it's meant for fun.

If someone truly is broken enough to get off on creating irritating damage in a game… jesus. I wouldn't want their life. How sad.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-31, 16:41

People are crazy.