User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes and compression

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes and compression
surjones

2006-01-17, 10:08

Okay I was looking at an iPod yesterday, holds 15,000 songs, HOW???? I looked at my CD size and it is almost 1gig alone, which would mean, only 60cd's or 900 songs. Okay maybe you can tell me step by step on how to get it on iTunes without loosing quality (I am guessing you might loose from compression) Now I have like 300 CD's which is only like 4,200 songs. Now I cant afford the 60gig right yet, but I want to get all the CD's on the computer, so maybe ya'll cant help me. thanks so much.
Blue Light Bandit

2006-01-17, 10:41

As I recall, Apple calculates its advertised "x songs" numbers based on 128 kbps and an average of 4-minute songs.

AAC and MP3 are highly complex compression algorithms that synthesize a generally-correct (but lossy) reproduction of the original signal. A few Google searches will get you lots of data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/file-compression.htm
surjones

2006-01-17, 11:14

thanks for the input, but if someone can answer the questions and how to' s I asked for that would be great.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-17, 11:26

Well, the simple fact is: you can't get it onto that iPod without losing something. But, the links do explain that you can make that loss acceptable to you.

Your best bet is probably to go into iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Importing and set the "Import using" to Apple Lossless. Exit preferences, stick those CDs in, and rip them. then plug in the iPod and copy them over.

You might want to take a listen to those ripped files and see if you can hear the difference. I've had trouble with the lossless encoder, creating huge files, but I know people here use it sucessfully. Maybe I have odd music.
Blue Light Bandit

2006-01-17, 11:34

Well, you shouldn't hear any difference at all with Apple Lossless because it, by definition, does not change the output bits. It's like ZIPing a file; it always restores the original data in perfect condition.

Perhaps you meant trying different bitrate levels of AAC? The higher the bitrate, the "less compressed" the data and and therefore less distortion is created. Most people I've seen have a threshold around 192 kbps AAC that sounds "close enough" to CDDA. I too use 192 kbps.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-01-17, 11:43

Rip everything at 192 kbps AAC like Blue Light says... sounds great to all but the most discerning ears. There is also a VBR option for AAC in recent versions of iTunes which allow you to rip at variable bit rates (i.e. it tries to only use the bit rate it needs),

Shhhh, I can't see!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-17, 11:44

As Apple states on their website:
Quote:
Song capacity is based on 4 minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding
It used to be 160 kbit/s MP3 when AAC wasn't supported (this is why both the 5 GB iPod back in 2001 as well as the 4 GB iPod mini in 2004 were advertised for "1,000 songs").
surjones

2006-01-17, 14:19

Well you guys have enough wisdom to write a book. I am very greatful.

So I have seen one like HOW TO: but any changes and or thoughts added. Maybe if I get an example of how I would like you guys to set up the HOW TO: eg.,

1) put disc is Tray and close. iTunes will open up.
2) go to this, or due this,
3).....
4).....
ETC.

thanks so much
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-17, 14:31

ummmm...Are you really asking us to explain how to put a CD in your machine? Because we can. But then we have to mock you for it. It's kinda the deal, you see.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-17, 14:36

surjones, just try it, it's not rocket surgery. Go to Preferences, set the quality to the level you like, and then put in a CD. When you're connected to the 'net, it will look up the track names, and if you checked the right option in Preferences, it will import the CD automagically. If not, you have to push the button at the top right. That's it.
surjones

2006-01-17, 14:40

I am asking so I dont have to try everything, When I am sure other have tried already and found the best audio and compression to get CLOSE (with ALMOST CD QUALITY) to 15,000 songs in the iPod. and BRYSON:. Love the humor... How to load a disc is was only a step on your Typical Directions, People get mocked who read the directions, but 99.9 % I am sure know how to load a disc, but it is there for the .1% who dont . I DO, but there might be someone OLD or WAY YOUNG but nonetheless. It is a appreciated for those who do this for me, and I am sure other will benift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
surjones, just try it, it's not rocket surgery. Go to Preferences, set the quality to the level you like, and then put in a CD. When you're connected to the 'net, it will look up the track names, and if you checked the right option in Preferences, it will import the CD automagically. If not, you have to push the button at the top right. That's it.

Last edited by surjones : 2006-01-17 at 14:47.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-17, 15:27

Ok, if you must:

1: Get Up
2: Get dressed
3: Go to the shop
4: Buy a Mac.
5: Buy an iPod.
6: Go Home
7: Boot the Mac

with me so far?

8: Make sure you are connected to the internet. (This step is harder than it looks!)
9: Open iTunes.
10: Go: iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>Importing>Import Using>Apple Lossless Encoder
11: Close the preferences pane by hitting OK.
12: Insert a CD.
13: Allow iTunes a few moments to work out which CD it is. The main window will show the CD and the Tracknames.
14: Make sure there's a tick next to all the tracks you want.
15: Press "import" in the top right corner.
16: Wait while it does it things. If you haven't done so already, try breathing.
17: When it's finished (it'll make a little chime to let you know) eject the CD.
18: Repeat 12-17 for every CD you want.
19: Plug in your iPod.
20: Do the initial setting-up stuff as detailed in the manual.
21: Go: iTunes>preferences>iPod>Music>Automatically update all songs and playlists.
22: Hit OK
23: Allow iTunes to do it's thing. It may take a while (possibly hours) for the very first time that you do it.
24: When iTunes says: iPod Update complete in the top centre window, press the little eject icon next to the iPod in the left-hand pane.
25: When the iPod icon disappears, unplug it.
26: Plug in your headphones.
27: Select music
28: Listen
29: Sign up for my reasonably priced iPod classes.

That'll be $120, thanks.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-17, 15:42

It might be worthwhile to point out that unless you have high quality noise cancelling headphones and are listening in a rather tranquil environment free of distraction, you're not going to be in a situation where CD perfection is required nor will it be perceptable.

Yes, yes, audio snob this and that; get it out of your system.
surjones

2006-01-17, 15:50

hahah that was great. YOU ROCK!
surjones

2006-01-17, 15:57

Why would you use Apple Looseless Encoder over ACC?
Wraven

2006-01-17, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones
Why would you use Apple Looseless Encoder over ACC?
I am going to cry.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-17, 16:11

surjones, please read the the stuff that was linked above.

In short, mp3 and AAC are lossy compression methods, that leave out the parts of your music that you can't hear anyway in order to produce smaller files. Unless you have what are called "golden ears", or are an audiophile with more money than brains, you can ignore the lossless codecs. Those produce much larger files that exactly reproduce the signal from the CD. But since the quality of your headphones in all likelihood is the limiting factor, using up massive amounts of space isn't going to buy you anything. So use mp3 or AAC at a reasonable quality setting (at least 128kbps), and you'll be fine.
surjones

2006-01-17, 16:13

well I am a newbie, so cry, but tell me now, because I have already done like 20cd's using ACC >192kbs > VBR. and If I need to restart this would be the time. 290 CD's to go. Just Read your Post Ghoti. maybe I will just leave like I am doing but knock down to 160 so I am in the middle
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-17, 16:21

300 CDs fit on a 60GB iPod easily at 192kbps (don't ask me how I know ;), so I'd say leave the setting where it is. But while you're at it, get Clutter and download some album covers to go along with your AACs.
surjones

2006-01-17, 16:49

Thanks So Much, You All Have Been Helpful. I Am Sure This Will Help Others. Is there a way to save the Clutter Album covers, so if I reformat tiger in the future, I dont have To re drag covers? Or is there a way to put in a folder to access??

thanks
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-17, 17:13

When you're playing a song, and Clutter is showing the right cover, hit Command-Shift-K, and it will copy the cover into iTunes for all the songs on that album (it will then show up in the little window on the lower left). So if you then backup your iTunes library, the cover art will also be included, and it will also be transferred to your iPod and be displayed when you play a song.
surjones

2006-01-17, 17:24

Thanks

I also contacted the creator of Clutter and asked him to implement something like that for the future