Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Official E3 Thread
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-17, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
Nintendo has already stated that they are not aiming to match Sony and MS in hardware performance numbers.

I have not read anything to that effect. But admittedly, I haven't read all that much pertaining to revolution. The last thing I remember reading said that they were going to remain competitive performance wise with the other 2 systems.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-17, 02:17

there have also been rumors that they are touch screen based and completely customizable.

who knows. but in about 10 hours we should know a lot more
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-17, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I have not read anything to that effect. But admittedly, I haven't read all that much pertaining to revolution. The last thing I remember reading said that they were going to remain competitive performance wise with the other 2 systems.
well, they are all using IBM and two of them are using ATI and they are all coming out and being developed around the same time so in reality there is only so much difference possible between them all. It's not like IBM is making breakthroughs just for Nintendo and holding them from MS and Sony. The difference is in total package, implementation, and innovation. MS sucks at all of those. Sony is in the middle, and Nintendo usually is pretty good on all three.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-17, 02:46

For sure, although the cell processor is kinda like an 'exclusive for sony' breakthrough. But I guess it might find its way into other devices in the future, so maybe not ultimately.

That said, nintendo does value the overall gaming experience more than specs, this is certain, and this is also what they are likely to be stressing this time around. Regardless, I'm going to end up owning a revolution simply because I'm a big fan of the core Nintendo game franchises. Heck, there are things that compel me to want to own all 3 systems, but that's a hefty investment, and I don't even game all that much anyway.
groverat

2005-05-17, 06:59

good luck MS and Nintendo. game over.

LOOK AT ALL THE TERAFLOPS!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-17, 12:05

Revolution pics
abraham

2005-05-17, 12:05

The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-17, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat
good luck MS and Nintendo. game over.

LOOK AT ALL THE TERAFLOPS!
fan boy in denial. pretty sad. go back to AI.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-17, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraham
Is that the Winona Ryder edition?
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-17, 12:22

Nintendo Revolution Press Conference
1. GameBoy Micro (size of an iPod mini, brightest screen, GBA but miniaturized)
2. Nintendo is only company to be leader in hardware and software (sound familiar?)
3. Production Revolution will be smaller than current prototypes seen in photos (will be the size of 3 stacked DVD cases)
4. 512MB Flash Memory
5. IBM and ATI chips (no surprise)
6. WiFi
7. Nintendo teamed with GameSpy for free WiFi gaming for DS, mariokart and animal crossing DS wireless coming later this year
8. Revolution is a "virtual game console", can download any nintendo game ever published and play it
9. New versions of Mario and Zelda are being developer (surprise?)
10. system for the small developer (fastest and cheapest development platform of the 3)
11. Final Fantasy WiFi for Revolution
12. Nothing else, presentation over, Nintendo has brought us the revolution of....old games.

Um....seems like Nintendo isn't going to spill much of anything here. Not announcing much of anything significant or impressive.

Last edited by The Return of the 'nut : 2005-05-17 at 12:48.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-17, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
8. Revolution is a "virtual game console", can download any nintendo game ever published and play it.

I think this is totally awesome. Depending on the price, but I can't imagine them charging more than a couple dollars tops for the really old games.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-17, 12:41

It does have the potential to be a very cool feature. Hopefully it's not limited to Nintendo produced titles.
¡Damned!

2005-05-17, 12:43

Oh fuck it. I'm getting all 3.

Friggin' technology.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-17, 13:25

Where is all the groaning about the Revolution industrial design?

"Oh how innovative, a black rectangle."

etc... (just kidding, but not entirely. )

I like it but that's not the point. Surely this is just as, or no less, mock-worthy than the 360. Or, to put it another way, they both look "okay".

The PS3 is to me the nicest looking although still not exactly much more different than your typical crappy $99 printer, if you step back and get honest about it. Hell, it even looks like the building E3 is being held in, that is, that clichéd mid-90's architectural element that won't die: the gently curving façade. But it's nice, at least when in standing position. Otherwise I'm afraid grandpa will try to stuff paper into it to print out his taxes.

Last edited by johnq : 2005-05-17 at 13:37.
Mister Black

2005-05-17, 15:12

What is it docking into? is this just a stand or something that will let you take the nintendo with you?
It would be dreamy if you could get a pc accessory that would let you plug this nintendo into a 5.25" drive bay on a tower and use your crisp computer display instead of a tv. Or just use the included 'dock' to plug into your tv.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-17, 15:34

FWIW, I like the design of the Nintendo better than the other two - and I'm not a Nintendo fanboi (don't own a console and hardly play any computer games at all). Those curvy designs are really starting to get old, and I think the proportions of the Revolution (kewl name, heh) are very nice. But designing something that looks cool is hardly an easy thing to do - they have to appeal to a mass audience and spread a certain "aura" of coolness at the same time.

I also find it interesting that they seem to be targetting an older audience. No more black/"alien slime" green design for the X-box, for example.
Mister Black

2005-05-17, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
FWIW, I like the design of the Nintendo better than the other two..
Here here. The xbox looks like a compaq and the ps3 looks coolish, sort of, but its not really much of a change or improvement over the ps2, just a little more spacey, and the controllers are iffy. But this nintendo is the most drastic change in the design of the system since the nes debuted. Nintendo has always made systems that look like a toy that will get broken by the child that uses it. This one actually looks like a piece of electronics meant for gaming.
This said I probably won't be getting one unless i can plug it into an extra 5.25" bay on the pc (which is a feature I made up based on the pics of the system and being stoned), just because of the type of games that come out for nintendo systems, even if you can download and play the old ones; I have an nes and games for that cost like 50¢.
Only interested in Gran Turismo.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-05-17, 15:55

Of all of the new consoles, the Revolution looks the nicest in my opinion, but the PS3 looks like it's going to outperform the Xbox and Revo. But I'm still googling around to make sure. I think that all parties have done a nice job in delivering satisfactory products. It's like trying to be the first to set foot on the moon, all companies have appeared to put their best foot forward in delivering "great" products. Time will tell...
flail

2005-05-17, 17:10

I have to admit I'm sure impressed with Nintendo's design reform. The Revo is a step up from the GC, which is sooooo dumb (I have one). However, I think it's so dumb that they still are trying to go so compact. Why the hell do I care how small it is? I want a console to perform. Wouldn't anyone rather have a bigger case and beefier system performance?
rasmits
rams it

2005-05-17, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail
I have to admit I'm sure impressed with Nintendo's design reform. The Revo is a step up from the GC, which is sooooo dumb (I have one). However, I think it's so dumb that they still are trying to go so compact. Why the hell do I care how small it is? I want a console to perform. Wouldn't anyone rather have a bigger case and beefier system performance?
*cough*mac mini*cough*
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-17, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail

Well, this has become a dubious point for many, but personally, I think nintendo is really just trying to remind us "hey, these are GAME systems"

The revolution is likely to have far less boot time and perhaps less loading time than the Xbox 360 and PS3, the size makes it especially appealing as a game system because you can park it easily next to any TV in virtually any setting. You simply cannot do that with an Xbox or a PS2. (or PS3/ xbox 360 by extension)

It is kind of a moot point for many, but I personally appreciate nintendo's drive to make an aesthetically efficient system. I have confidence that the performance of revolution will be acceptable, and I'm sure they do to. It might not be a super computer in a bread box, but I'm sure that it will play the games it plays very well, without the system getting in the way.(as seems more likely to happen to xbox and now PS3)

Who knows, maybe the xbox and the PS3 will both have instantaneous startup times and they will both have hardly any loading times, it's surely possible, but I have a hard time believing all those insanely powerful components are just going to zap online in .5 seconds.

Additionally, the revolution is likely to be far cheaper than the other two. So, yes, I am speculating a lot here, but I see nothing unreasonable about offering a low impact box that can play all the games it sets out to play for a decent price. If revolution prices its games a little cheaper, they might still be in the running this generation.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-17, 18:52

the more I think about it the more I feel like Nintendo may not even release the Revolution. Clearly they don't have much to show. I mean, what did we learn about it today? Basically nothing. It will have online, dvd support and be able to download old games. Not one specific thing, not one advancement over anything else really.

Either
1. they don't release it and become a software company
2. They release it but it is not much more than an upgraded gamecube capable of playing all previous games.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-17, 18:59

Hm, that's possible. Maybe the ability to play all the games from all the old systems is their way of signing off in the console wars.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-17, 19:04

based on how many times they have transformed the same gameboy technology it would not suprise me
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-05-17, 19:53

I like the Revolution a lot. I can't wait for it. No, Nintendo didn't show their hand with it's "Revolutionary" feature, but the console isn't coming out until 2006. We didn't officially know much about the XB360 until last week, and it's coming out in November.

Strangely, what I really fell in love with at the E3 conferences, though, was the Game Boy Micro. It's so small! It's the perfect last hurrah for one of my favorite systems.
rasmits
rams it

2005-05-17, 23:50

Is the revolutionary new feature really the fact that it can play old games? Cool yes, but not 'revolutionary'...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-18, 01:12

Boot time should be a non-issue with any console. Why do these stupid consoles need so long to boot, anyway? What are they doing? They know their hardware configuration, so what's the point of taking ages to boot? It's like with digital cameras: people accept that they basically are little computers, and that it's okay if they need three or five seconds until they're ready. I don't get that. If I switch on my camera, it's got to be ready instantly. And I wouldn't accept anything else.
[/rant]
Bones3D

2005-05-18, 01:23

You have to realize the primary market Nintendo caters to... the Japanese. Living space in Japan is a huge commidity and cannot be easily taken for granted as it can in the U.S. The xbox failed miserably in Japan due to it's insanely huge size, despite the fact it's far more powerful than the PS2 and GameCube. (There is probably furniture sold in Japan that is smaller than the xbox.)

Even Sony got on the bandwagon to reduce it's system size with the updated PS2. I expect they'll probably do the same with the PS3 in about 2-3 years after it's released.

Perhaps it is a mistake by U.S. standards to go so small on hardware, but in Japan, it makes perfect sense to waste as little space as possible.

8==8 Bones 8==8
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-18, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Boot time should be a non-issue with any console. Why do these stupid consoles need so long to boot, anyway? What are they doing? They know their hardware configuration, so what's the point of taking ages to boot?
AFAIK, XBox is running on a custom Windows kernel, so that would explain some of the lame delay...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-18, 08:34

I would imagine boot up times for the PS3 & XBox will be affected by the fact that they have USB ports and wireless controllers. These will have to be polled on startup to count how many active controllers there are and stuff like that. The fact that they connect to the 'net means that DHCP setup time will be included at startup as well.

Then there's the ROM/firmware and everything else. Oh yeah, probably some kind of POST as well.