AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Official E3 Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Official E3 Thread
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
groverat

2005-05-18, 15:24

Let me get this straight...
Because Nintendo did not reveal the details of their next-generation console over one year before it is feasible to expect that console's release it is likely that they might not even release that console at all?

I'm really not seeing what logic is supposed to be there.

What did we really learn about the XBox360 or PS3? Honestly, what did we learn?
They will both use slightly different hardware that looks to provide essentially the same end result on the screen. Unless you are dumb enough to buy into the Cell hype (18 GFLOPS ZOMG!) the only thing we learned was from the game videos, which may or may not be representative of what these consoles will push out to your TV screen.

Oh how many megabytes do you have, Nintendo? This is vital information for my Internet jacking off oh how dare you not tell me?!?!

Quote:
based on how many times they have transformed the same gameboy technology it would not suprise me
2 (SP & Micro)? Which is 1 more time (PS2tiny) than Sony redesigned the PS2?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-18, 15:40

Excellent points, groverat.

Just wait for the damn consoles to be released already. It's going to be a while before I can afford one (along with some games, an XBL account, and a screen to do it justice), so I'm just sitting back and letting things happen. Once the dust and hype settles, we can see things the way they are.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-18, 15:47

I have to say that while the PS3's ability to span across two HD displays is impressive, who is going to spend the $$$$ to put two HD displays on their wall?

Obviously someone will, no doubt. It just seems like oodles of cash to spend to play games.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-05-18, 20:39

The PS3 will cost in the upper four hundreds, USD.
IonYz

2005-05-18, 21:07

Interesting points:

- PS3 controller looks _exactly_ like a blue non-analog boomerang I remember back in the PS1-era. It wasn't a big seller back then either.

- Microsoft is forcing developers of their Xbox 360 to develop to HD standards. ALL GAMES must support 720p/1080i and 16:9 aspect, where as Sony won't force developers at all even though it sports dual HDMI ports and is capable of 1080p.

- Little was revealed about the Revolution, perhaps they were pressured to release info before they were ready because of Sony and Microsoft 's full disclosure. Wonder what the controller will look like?

- Size does matter. The Xbox is just, oh man, horrible. I've owned an Atari 5200 and that seems smaller by comparison. Thats bad. The slim PS2 is beautiful and nearly silent, while the GC was always small.

- On that note I'm surprised the Xbox 360 design looks as good as it does, I wouldn't have been surprised with a PC tower laid horizontally. Still, packing all the technology these machines do, I'm surprised how small the PS3/360 is for their specs.

- All consoles need to understand the importance of online play. Along with HD gaming I expect _no_ snags when it comes to making _any_ game go online. Netcode problem? Create an API, do something. None of this, lets delay it for months and still not offer online play crap (cough, GT4, Hot Shots PSP cough)

- All consoles will offer backwards compatibility with the current generation, except Microsoft isn't stressing this. They said to expect high-selling, or popular games to work on the 360. Something to that effect.

Oh and this weekend an EB employee who acted totally aloof on HD, that he said it confused him, saw no difference, and pled stupidity pushed me into pre-ordering an Xbox 360. "We only have 10 pre-orders left." Lame. Salesmen are just lazier these days.

Speaking as an owner of every major console, I'm more interested in Nintendo selling older games online. Maybe now they will stop concentrating all their efforts on ports and rehashes.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-05-18, 22:21

I'm here in LA, and E3 is pretty slick so far. I got the superpass, so I've been doing all the workshops, conferences and haven't hit the floor yet (and won't until Friday).

But the overall experience has been great for me. I've had the opportunity to listen to many industry icons.

The line-ups waiting to get to the floor was absolutely insane today. I tried to buy some lunch between sessions and there was a 30 minute wait just to get a pre-made sandwich!
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-18, 23:51

All I know is that I want faceball and the original fzero on the revolution, along with a bunch of original nes games I'm totally nostalgic for. Blowing on the cartridges and cramming paperback books in the slot just doesn't make it work like it did 5 years ago.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-19, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
cramming paperback books in the slot

Quarters work really well for this, but really, I find that if you just place the cartridge in carefully at the right angle, you don't need any exterior adjustment.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-19, 03:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonYz
The PS3 will cost in the upper four hundreds, USD.
You think? If the PS3 is $450 or something, I'm not buying one. Every dollar I spend on the system is one less dollar I spend on a screen to connect to it. I hope the XBox 360 launches at $300 like the XBox did. That's what a brand new console should cost. Remember, games are $50 each. $450 for a system without games (no matter how powerful) is just too much.
abraham

2005-05-19, 06:47

remember... GAMES make the system great.I don't care if the PS3 has signifigantly better graphics than the other two. Any of the next generation consoles are going to Wow me graphics wise. As long as their is a next gen Zelda... ! am happy.

*there is also a rumour going around that the X-Box 360 was only at 30% power at E3*

Radiohead!!!
BenRoethig

2005-05-19, 07:03

Nintendo knows what they're doing by makig an "inferior" console. If both the x360 and PS3 are over $450 and revolution comes in at around $199, I'd expect Nintendo to sell a lot of consoles. I think this generation might come down to "how much power can I afford?"
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-19, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig
Nintendo knows what they're doing by makig an "inferior" console. If both the x360 and PS3 are over $450 and revolution comes in at around $199, I'd expect Nintendo to sell a lot of consoles. I think this generation might come down to "how much power can I afford?"
It also seems that Nintendo's thrust was making it possible for smaller developers to create a game without spending 8 figures in development costs. Can you imagine how much time will be spent making PS3/XB360 games looks as realistic as the demos? Heck, movies are gonna be cheaper to make soon.

If Nintendo released a free SDK maybe more people could jump on the game dev bandwagon.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2005-05-19 at 13:15.
HHogan

2005-05-19, 09:34

All the major publishers are stating here that budgets will hit between $20-30 million per AAA title (w/o licensing fees)
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-19, 13:15

I meant to say without spending 8 figures in development costs. I edited my previous post to reflect this.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-19, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraham

*there is also a rumour going around that the X-Box 360 was only at 30% power at E3*
what does that mean?
IonYz

2005-05-20, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Quarters work really well for this, but really, I find that if you just place the cartridge in carefully at the right angle, you don't need any exterior adjustment.
Clean your games if your having problems. Simple Q-Tips – one dry and another soaked in alcohol, the higher the better – and wipe down the connectors. Don't blow into them. Works fine for all my cart media.

IonYz

2005-05-20, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
what does that mean?
I heard that too, somewhere at IGN. Didn't read into it very much. The point will be these next gen consoles will be powerful. If they can all produce HD imagery, thats enough for me. Then it comes down to games.

The Xbox really needs to wow me this time around, and not just through Sega. Nearly 70% of my Xbox library is Sega games.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-20, 00:34

That rumor probably came about because the Xbox demos were apparently not running on actual Xboxes but Power Mac G5s with much weaker video cards.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-20, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
I have to say that while the PS3's ability to span across two HD displays is impressive, who is going to spend the $$$$ to put two HD displays on their wall?

Obviously someone will, no doubt. It just seems like oodles of cash to spend to play games.
Here's my theory on the dual HD display capability:

HD dual display visor. One HD display for each eye. Maybe OLED technology or some such tech. That would provide an awesome immersive experience at 1080p and wouldn't cost near as much as two full-size HD displays.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
groverat

2005-05-20, 08:09

I wouldn't buy the rumor that the XBox360 was running at 1/3rd speed. To know that you'd have to have a final XBox360 in the first place to know what 100% was. I'm sure it was running slower than what the final will, but all these bastards lie about crap like that.
abraham

2005-05-20, 13:04

What is everyone's view on the "gyroscopic" controller concept (for the Nintendo Revolution). I think it is a great concept and would make many people consider Nintendo that would normally dismiss it as child's play.

http://www.nicholasroussos.com/2005/...eculation.html

I have seen gimicky stuff like this before, but this idea seems very practical.

Radiohead!!!
HHogan

2005-05-20, 17:51

I chilled at the Apple booth today for a bit. They were showing off the latest and greatest games for the Mac... Doom 3, Goo ball and Sims 2

The people were nice, but they didn't have a lot of info for would-be developers. Just ads for WWDC and a promo to join ADC.
IonYz

2005-05-20, 19:37

Quote:
What is everyone's view on the "gyroscopic" controller concept (for the Nintendo Revolution). I think it is a great concept and would make many people consider Nintendo that would normally dismiss it as child's play.

Not sure about the gyroscopic part, as your arms would get tired. Then again that teaches you take more breaks, or play through the pain (worse). My shoulders hurt after a while using a lightgun (Time Crisis).

I do like the disjointed part though. Its more ergonomic to have the control in two piece, so you can rest your arms apart in a natural position. That would increase play time with less fatigue.

Interesting concept, and I would see why N doesn't want it to be released yet. Too much time for others to steal.

Now, in a year I expect to play Gyromite with these things

Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-20, 20:08

Quote:

I can dig it. A traditional controller that can break off into two pieces, each being motion sensitive. That could potentially have some really cool applications, while not totally alienating more conventional gaming.
abraham

2005-05-20, 22:07

Quote:
Not sure about the gyroscopic part, as your arms would get tired.
I thought about this... and I have an idea. Maybe there could be a "controller preferences." You know how you set you mouse on a computer. You could just scale it... so a flick of the wrist could be a full arm swing.

This in combination with more rumours and things like Nintendo's patents for a "Virtual Headset" (think VR). We could all be in for a "Revolution".

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...FIELD2=&d=ptxt

Radiohead!!!
abraham

2005-05-20, 22:15

Quote:
Interesting concept, and I would see why N doesn't want it to be released yet. Too much time for others to steal.
I agree... if this kind of stuff is what Nintendo has been getting into... then it was very wise of them to wait through E3. This is going to be a very interesting year or so. I am glad a large company is taking a different route and being more innovative than just giving the tradition console speed/ graphics boost.

Radiohead!!!
rageous

Send a message via AIM to rageous Send a message via MSN to rageous  
2005-05-20, 22:50

Yep. I think Nintendo is gearing up for something big. If they can come out with a console that has graphics equivalent to Resident Evil 4 but completely changes the scope of games and the way you actually engage in playing them, I would be far happier than just getting a console that cranks out the same old shit that looks prettier.

Dog shit in high def is still just dog shit. Just because I can now make out that shirt button I saw my dog eat mixed into the pile doesn't make it any more enjoyable.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-20, 23:05

It would be really interesting if Nintendo did pull off something remarkable and 'won' the war. All the Spec-whores are so caught up debating the minutia that is 'the difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360', I would be pleasantly surprised if Nintendo pulled off something neat enough to get people to remember that it's not about how big your cock is, but about the fun you can have with it.
IonYz

2005-05-20, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageous
Dog shit in high def is still just dog shit. Just because I can now make out that shirt button I saw my dog eat mixed into the pile doesn't make it any more enjoyable.
True enough, but when you have a fixed pixel screen (LCD HDTV) you want the closest possible resolution to match native.

Long as games offer 16:9 and at least 480p, it could look like cubivore for all I care

rasmits
rams it

2005-05-24, 22:06

Quote:
"In the past we tried to entice new users with increasingly sophisticated graphics, improved sound, and complex storytelling, but to a big extent, I think we've pursued that as much as we can," said Iwata.

"Right now, game consoles are important for the game fan, but for the rest of the family, it's just a piece of nuisance that's loud and eats up electricity...We want to create games for people who haven't played games but are curious about them."
I'm not so sure about the Revolution after reading this article:

news.com

Seems to me it's another kiddie konsole, more so then the cube even was. That's pretty disappointing.