Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nike+iPod
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-05-23, 11:40

*From Macminute.com*

Nike and Apple partner to launch Nike+iPodGlobal
May 23, 2006 - 12:11 EDT Nike and Apple today announced a partnership bringing the worlds of sports and music together with the launch of innovative Nike+iPod products. The first product developed through this partnership is the Nike+iPod Sport Kit, a wireless system that allows Nike+ footwear to talk with an iPod nano to connect users to the "ultimate personal running and workout experience." The new Nike+ Air Zoom Moire is the first footwear designed to talk to iPod.

Nike plans to make many of its leading footwear styles Nike+ ready, connecting millions of consumers to the Nike+iPod experience. With the Nike+ footwear connected to iPod nano through the Nike+iPod Sport Kit, information on time, distance, calories burned and pace is stored on iPod and displayed on the screen; real-time audible feedback also is provided through headphones. The kit includes an in-shoe sensor and a receiver that attaches to iPod. A new Nike Sport Music section on the iTunes(R) Music Store and a new nikeplus.com personal service site help maximize the Nike+iPod experience. The Nike+iPod Sport Kit is expected to be available within 60 days for a suggested retail price of US$29.

I'm trying to find more info on this, but can't seem to. I want to look at shoes that have this capability built-in, to see about prices etc...

This is very cool and what a cool way to add value to the iPod...while lightening your wallet (Nike shoes are outrageously priced). I'm still curious about it, though.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
neiltc13

2006-05-23, 11:46

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/gear.html
EmC

2006-05-23, 11:47

I too think this is very cool sounding. I just hope it is implemented well. Nike shoes aren't my favorite for running, but that could change. It would be nice if the iPod could hold stats and transfer them to a program so that you could keep track of your time, distance, and calories for long term monitoring.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-23, 11:50

Looks like the birth of the 'Wireless' iPod? Such a small, intelligent device too.

Impressive. Again.

EDIT:

http://www.nike.com/nikeplus/

Check out the video on this website: [steve jobs] Boom! [steve jobs/]

Only 29 dollars for the kit: nice!

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-23 at 12:05.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-05-23, 12:48

This is amazing.

The shows are affordable. Starting at $85 and ranging up to $110 I believe. The kit is only $29. They have a preorder for $129 for shoes and the kit available July 13.

It tracks distance, time and speed. Has voiceover updates through the headphone of average pace, time, distance left/time left.

This is very cool and very affordable. Great job Apple. I know a ton of people who are going to jump on this.

It also uploads all the info to a Nike website for stat tracking.

I want to know why it only work on the iPod nano though. Seems strange it wouldnt work on the 5G iPod video.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-23, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
I want to know why it only work on the iPod nano though. Seems strange it wouldnt work on the 5G iPod video.
I think it will work with the other iPods at some point; the Nano was probably chosen as the roll-out iPod because it is the workout iPod of choice - very light and physically small (plus the bonus of solid state memory).

I bet the other current iPods (aside from the Shuffle) will ultimately get this technology.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-05-23, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
I think it will work with the other iPods at some point; the Nano was probably chosen as the roll-out iPod because it is the workout iPod of choice - very light and physically small (plus the bonus of solid state memory).

I bet the other current iPods (aside from the Shuffle) will ultimately get this technology.
iPod of choice or not, it technically isn't compatible as of now and I'd like to know why. What does the iPod nano have built-in that the iPod video does not. Clearly it must be something otherwise that adapter would work just fine with the regular iPod.
neiltc13

2006-05-23, 13:22

Won't it just work anyway on the other iPods?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-05-23, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
Won't it just work anyway on the other iPods?
According to the requirements, no. I can't imagine apple saying it only works with the nano and it really working with the other ones. Why restrict the market if it didnt have to be?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-05-23, 13:45

The video iPod was probably considered to be too large, that and the nano starts at $129/$149.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-05-23, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
The video iPod was probably considered to be too large, that and the nano starts at $129/$149.
You're not understanding me.

Why would that make it incompatible? less than ideal? Yes. By why won't the adapter work if you plug it in?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-23, 14:06

The nano is flash, the others aren't.

Running + HD = bad.

I'd guess it's a limitation set in place by Apple and Nike so people don't get paused songs while running, not a technical lack with regards to the other iPods.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-05-23, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
The nano is flash, the others aren't.

Running + HD = bad.

I'd guess it's a limitation set in place by Apple and Nike so people don't get paused songs while running, not a technical lack with regards to the other iPods.
Hm, I've run with a hard drive based iPod for 5 years now. The last time I had one skip was my 2nd generation 20GB iPod.

The nano is new to the market. Most people run with hard drive based iPods.

None the less, that is beside the point.

Why wouldn't it still work with a 5G iPod?
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 14:15

...Insert iPod Socks Joke Here...

Wow, that's pretty cool. Just wait until they announce the deal they're working on with Hanes....
CitizenTony

2006-05-23, 14:21

That is pretty cool.

Looks like you could make it work with any shoe just by strapping it on somehow? Since I wear a different brand but really like the product I might have to try it out.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-23, 14:32

I'm guessing it could work with the other iPods, but that Apple will have a firmware limitation limiting it to the nano due to size/weight/skipping.
JK47

2006-05-23, 14:45

Requires iTunes 6.0.5. Update anytime soon?
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-05-23, 15:17

Is it possible the reason this is done with the nano is because the nano isn't selling as well as it used to, and/or as well as the video iPods?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-23, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
Is it possible the reason this is done with the nano is because the nano isn't selling as well as it used to, and/or as well as the video iPods?
Hardly; the iPod nano is, and consistently has been, the hottest-selling model of all time. Obviously, they're trying to boost sales even more, but that's not an indication of weak/subpar sales at all, IMNSHO.

The fact that the iPod regular isn't supported is most certainly not a technical limitation, as their internal hardware is very identical down to the exact same PortalPlayer SoaC. No, rather, the firmware engineers probably decided it wasn't worth adding this feature to the iPod regular as, due to the size as well as the non-solid-state memory, it simply isn't anywhere near as fit for jogging. An unnecessary decision and an artificial limitation, to be sure, but not an outrageous one.

Moreover, they could try and protect themselves from lawsuits here. Imagine the outcry by dipshits who buy an iPod regular and the Nike+iPod kit because Apple advertised it would work, then jog the hell out of it and break the iPod hard drive, and finally sue Apple due to "false advertising". Hasn't been done before? Sure it has, just look at the battery bullshit lawsuit. (How in the world is Apple responsible for the simple technical fact that lithium-ion batteries lose their capacity over time?)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-23, 15:32

I dig it...but I wear Keens.

Heck, Steve Jobs wears Keens, or so I've heard.

But I'm pretty sure this will be Nike-exclusive, sadly.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-05-23, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
The fact that the iPod regular isn't supported is most certainly not a technical limitation, as their internal hardware is very identical down to the exact same PortalPlayer SoaC. No, rather, the firmware engineers probably decided it wasn't worth adding this feature to the iPod regular as, due to the size as well as the non-solid-state memory, it simply isn't anywhere near as fit for jogging. An unnecessary decision and an artificial limitation, to be sure, but not an outrageous one.
Sorry but I don't see this as the reasoning at all. Apple for many years now has sold the iPod (hard drive based) as a viable jogging device. Millions of people jog with hard drive based iPods. Apple sells armbands for this exact purpose as do many other third parties.

Wasn't worth adding the feature? If its a firmware limitation, most likely it would cost nothing to add this feature to the 5G iPod. So I don't see that as the reason.

It's just strange but I have suspected from the original announcements of the nano and iPod video that the nano was somehow a bit different under the hood in terms of potential capabilities. The 5G always seemed more of a hybrid of the 4G and nano than a larger brother of the nano.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-05-23, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman

I thought it was New Balance™?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-23, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
Apple for many years now has sold the iPod (hard drive based) as a viable jogging device.
Where? As far as I recall, their jogging-oriented advertising was with the iPod shuffle. Sure, they have the wristband, but that's about as far as it goes.

Quote:
Millions of people jog with hard drive based iPods.
I'm not saying it can't be done. It can be, and I'm very well aware it works fine enough. I'm saying this may become a legal liability, and seeing as how many ridiculous lawsuits Apple has faced, it may be a good idea to avoid it (that's the stockholder speaking, not the customer/critic/fan).

Quote:
Wasn't worth adding the feature? If its a firmware limitation, most likely it would cost nothing to add this feature to the 5G iPod. So I don't see that as the reason.
Then give me one. More nano sales? I don't think so.

Quote:
It's just strange but I have suspected from the original announcements of the nano and iPod video that the nano was somehow a bit different under the hood in terms of potential capabilities. The 5G always seemed more of a hybrid of the 4G and nano than a larger brother of the nano.
As I have pointed out, that is not the case. If you look at iPodLinux's Generations page, you'll find the hardware doesn't differ that much. Most importantly, the SoaC is the exact same. There is no technical reason I can think of. Heck, there is no reason, as far as I can tell, not to implement it all the way back on the iPod 3G and the original iPod mini, but they obviously don't want to lose out on potential sales in that case. Limiting to nano instead of nano and 5G, however, doesn't seem motivated by the same factor.
krinsome

2006-05-23, 15:49

The shoes look really nice, I currently have a pair of Nike Free and they are awesome. From the pictures they look like the same design so I might pick it up before school.

Does anyone know if this will support the 5g? I know it skips occasionally when running, but I have too much music I want to listen to!
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 15:50

WOW. How brilliant can you be?

Even if it were not going to be successful, the idea is so great...
hotch

2006-05-23, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman

best water shoes ever
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 15:56

As for the nano restriction:

Maybe they'd like HD iPod owners to buy an additional iPod for running?

Maybe HD iPods are more vulnerable than flash nanos and Apple fears to be sued when they explicitly encourage HD iPod owners to use it while jogging?
wecallitfall

2006-05-23, 15:59

time will tell how sucessfull this will be.....

so i reserve my much valued (haha!) judgement
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-23, 17:15

I think you guys are missing the point.

The whole Apple philosophy is simplicity and elegence. A giant ass video iPod duct taped to your arm doesn't look slick. Anything you can come up with as a carrying case for a regular iPod will create an unsightly lump (ha ha) somewhere on your person.

The idea of this is that the Nano is so small it blends into the clothing and is both unnoticeable and unobtrusive. (not a target for thieves?)

I'm sure that the regular iPods would be/are capable of using this hardware, but apple will limit the function to preserve the image. It's what they do.

Don't be surprised in a month or two if a hack allows video iPods to use the Nike broadcaster though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
krinsome

2006-05-23, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
The whole Apple philosophy is simplicity and elegence. A giant ass video iPod duct taped to your arm doesn't look slick. Anything you can come up with as a carrying case for a regular iPod will create an unsightly lump (ha ha) somewhere on your person.
, yeah whenever I walk by people with my ipod in my gym shorts while running I get strange looks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic
As for the nano restriction:

Maybe they'd like HD iPod owners to buy an additional iPod for running?

Maybe HD iPods are more vulnerable than flash nanos and Apple fears to be sued when they explicitly encourage HD iPod owners to use it while jogging?
Nice call on both. Atleast I won't have to pay a premium for the black nano to match my mac book.