Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iStat Pro and Powerbook fans

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iStat Pro and Powerbook fans
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-05, 21:32

I use the iStat pro widget to show system status. My PB is always on fire. It runs around 125-130degreesF (i dunno what normal is), but the thing i dont get is that my fans are never on, or atleast iStat says theyre always at 0rpm. Plus I never hear them. Is something wrong or is this normal for PB's?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Wraven

2007-01-05, 21:38

iStat Pro always shows 0 rpm for my PowerBook's fans too. Seems to be the "normal" (shitty) behavior. As for not hearing them, turn down your radio.

In all seriousness though, I do hear mine every once in a while, but by and large they are QUIET. Those temps seem kinda high however. If your PowerBook is still under AppleCare (if you have it) then you might want to take it to an Apple Store and have a Genius take a look at it.

Cheers,
Wraven
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-05, 21:49

CPU Bottom - 130F
CPU Top - 125F
Power Supply - 122F

A lot of times I dont have anything on in the room and I never hear the fans. I dunno. Sometimes it gets so hot that when Im laying down and I prop it up against my legs, I have to take it off because it feels like its literally burning me.

@yontsey
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-05, 23:19

iStat/Pro has never reported the correct fan speed on any of my Macs. The developer should fix it, or just remove it.
Wraven

2007-01-05, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
iStat/Pro has never reported the correct fan speed on any of my Macs. The developer should fix it, or just remove it.
rookie,
Agreed. Neither my PowerBook's fans nor my wife's Mac mini's fan display the RPM in iStat Pro (or iStat nano). So, I hide that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
CPU Bottom - 130F
CPU Top - 125F
Power Supply - 122F

A lot of times I dont have anything on in the room and I never hear the fans. I dunno. Sometimes it gets so hot that when Im laying down and I prop it up against my legs, I have to take it off because it feels like its literally burning me.
Yontsey,
Those temps definitely don't look right. My 17" PowerBook is hovering just about 5 degrees above ambient right now (75-78F). Bear in mind I am only running Mail and Safari, but still my PowerBook only gets to about 110F running iTunes and 125F running Handbrake.

I am starting to think your PowerBook really does have a problem. I did a "touch test" and made sure my temps seemed correct. The bottom of my PowerBook's temperature was barely discernable to my palm, and I can hear a very faint, but audible, hum of the fans. I think your fans are not working...

Cheers,
Wraven
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-05, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven View Post
rookie,
Yontsey,
Those temps definitely don't look right. My 17" PowerBook is hovering just about 5 degrees above ambient right now (75-78F). Bear in mind I am only running Mail and Safari, but still my PowerBook only gets to about 110F running iTunes and 125F running Handbrake.
I have Adium, Safari, Mail, and iTunes open. I didnt think that would be enough to make it that hot.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-05, 23:45

Run hardware test to check your fan.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-06, 00:33

Well, ive never ran a hardware test before, but correct me if im wrong, its the cd in the applecare box right?

i popped that in and installed tech tools deluxe and it wont let me authenticate it, so it wont let me use the program. any suggestions?

@yontsey
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-01-06, 00:36

Tech tools is worthless.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-06, 00:40

Check out Fan Control Pref pane. It's really nice..

There is also a great little temp widget and hack for Intel Macs. I have it but forget the name.. I'll dig it out and post back here..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-01-06, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post

There is also a great little temp widget and hack for Intel Macs. I have it but forget the name.. I'll dig it out and post back here..
He's using a PowerBook.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-06, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post

Im on a PPC Powerbook though so an Intel version wont help. much appreciated though.