User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How can I schedule a playlist to play to a specific AirPlay speaker?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How can I schedule a playlist to play to a specific AirPlay speaker?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-25, 15:13

So at the title suggests I'm looking to have a specific playlist in iTunes play to an AirPlay speaker at a specific time. Like every Monday at 8AM play/shuffle the "case of the Mondays" playlist to the iHome speaker.

I'm sure there is some wizardry I can build with Automator or even AppleScript but maybe I'm over-thinking this and there is a really simple solution that I'm just not thinking about. I have Macs that are running 24/7 and old 1st Gen iPad minis (iOS 9) that are available for specific duty such as this.

I'm not interested in buying a HomePod right now, though someday maybe. I don't have an old Airport Express or Extreme available for AirPlay 2 right now either. Well, maybe I have the Extreme, but I don’t know where it is and think I donated it already.

I do have Plex that also has the same library available to it and can use Plex for the audio source instead if that has better options.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-27, 12:39

So nothing out there from the handful that have seen this. Can I automate playing through a HomePod or Sonos? Anything like that? My goal would be that I not have to travel through the internet to a source/backend of any kind but that it can all be in house. I don't have to use AirPlay, I just need music to play at a specific time each week.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-09-27, 17:47

On Sonos all you have to do is set an alarm and just have it play that playlist.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-10-01, 04:58

Maybe Shortcuts will gain scheduled workflows in iOS 13. You can schedule an alarm or a reminder, but you can't attach a workflow to trigger at that time, as far as I can tell.

But since you mention a Mac: try digging through Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes; he has an AirPlay tag.

Something like (not tested, and I don't know much about AppleScript)

Code:
tell application "iTunes" set current AirPlay devices to AirPlay device “Turtles's iHome speaker” set myPlaylist to playlist "Morning Songs" play myPlaylist end tell
The above (probably) won't actually work, but the result should be close to that.

Two things will help: digging through Doug's scripts some, and dragging the iTunes icon (hold cmd) onto Script Editor in order to dig through the iTunes scripting definitions.

With that, you should be able to get it working. Much harder if not impossible purely with iOS.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-10-03, 11:40

Thank you chucker! I just might be able to work through something like this. I did create a calendar event with Automator but it expects that the iTunes is set to Airplay. I don't have a dedicated Mac configured for it so that is a challenge at the moment.

At this point it looks like I'm going to be able to cobble something together though.

I have another challenge that I've hit my computer limits with iTunes and family sharing. So I'll end up building a VM that is standalone on the network just to play locally stored songs. Seems overkill to do, but it would allow me to manage via Remote Desktop and still script it out. On the plus side, it won't effect my play count out those songs since they are background and I really don't want to know how many thousands of times those songs will play. The real downside to this is that I'll have to manually copy songs over to the VM and import them in rather than manage the playlist on any of the connected iTunes Macs.

Yontsey, thanks for the tip on Sonos. I might just go that direction for my home audio anyway as a general play. I'm not interested in Alex, Google Assistant etc... listening in my house all the time. That at least saves me a little money in buying new speakers for the house.