AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Here We Go: Amazon Launches Netflix Competitor, Built Into Amazon Prime

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Here We Go: Amazon Launches Netflix Competitor, Built Into Amazon Prime
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 08:10

As rumored, Amazon has launched Amazon Instant Video, their Netflix challenger. Instant Video is basically a rebrand of their previous service, Amazon Video on Demand, with one major change: Now, Amazon Prime subscribers can stream a whole bunch of movies for free, as part of their subscription.

Well, not a whole bunch. 5,000 movies, to start, which is a good bit fewer than the 20,000 movies and TV episodes Netflix offers for streaming. Like Netflix's DVD-only titles, Amazon continues to offer paid rentals of some titles that aren't free for Amazon Prime subscribers. But 5,000 movies is still a hell of a lot, especially for a "free" service, and I imagine they're working on expanding the selection.

If you're not familiar with Amazon Prime, it's a $79/year (get it?) service that gives you free two-day shipping on any item that's sold or fulfilled by Amazon. You can upgrade to overnight shipping for any item — even a huge TV! — for $3.99. It basically makes ordering everything from Amazon a much more viable life solution, since everything arrives much faster and you don't have to worry about meeting any free shipping thresholds. (Amazon occaisionally offers Prime members other perks, like free activation on phones sold from AmazonWireless, that sort of thing.)

With Amazon Instant Video, Amazon is essentially expanding Prime from a fast delivery service into things that don't require delivery at all, and they're doing it without raising the price. Even if you never order a deliverable, $79/year is less than Netflix's $7.99+/month, though selection will obviously have to improve before the service is a true challenger. But for now, it's a nice bonus, and it might keep some casual (or cash-strapped) movie watcher with Prime from having to shell out for Netflix, too.

I wonder if a music streaming service is next. That would be gnarly to the max. Honest to blog.

I'm never giving up my Prime subscription. I figure, even if I'm a hobo living in a can I'll want my bindles and shivs to arrive promptly. And now, if I have a laptop in that can, I'll be able to enjoy quality entertainment like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo at no additional charge. Progress!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-22, 09:16

It is a big bonus, but unfortunately it's only for paid Prime subscribers. This is silly because of the number of ways you can get Prime for free (college email address, mother to be, etc). I realize that I'm complaining about not getting something for free, but if you're going to bundle it as part of your Prime program, then that should mean it's part of your Prime program and not carry an asterisk next to it.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-02-22, 09:23

Being a college student with free Prime, I would have used this if they'd let me, and that might have been enough for me to consider re-upping for Prime later if I wanted it. But if they're not gonna let me try it, then I definitely won't.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-22, 12:10

I'll re-up after my year is over. But that's mostly because of the speedy shipping, me loves it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-22, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
It is a big bonus, but unfortunately it's only for paid Prime subscribers. This is silly because of the number of ways you can get Prime for free (college email address, mother to be, etc). I realize that I'm complaining about not getting something for free, but if you're going to bundle it as part of your Prime program, then that should mean it's part of your Prime program and not carry an asterisk next to it.
Well, you are complaining about not getting something for free. Be happy Amazon gives you free 2 day shipping. That is pretty amazing in itself.

Jeez.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-22, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Well, you are complaining about not getting something for free. Be happy Amazon gives you free 2 day shipping. That is pretty amazing in itself.

Jeez.
I completely realize that but like Capella said, they aren't giving free Prime users a taste to where they would really want to continue.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-02-22, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I completely realize that but like Capella said, they aren't giving free Prime users a taste to where they would really want to continue.
Exactly. I don't order things from Amazon more than once a month, if that, because I can't afford it. I won't re-up for Prime because it's money I don't have to spend given that the amount of money I'll spend on shipping in a year is likely less than the cost of Prime. If Amazon had enough titles I was interested in for streaming, though, it might be more worthwhile to spend X on Prime vs X on Prime and Y on a Hulu/Nutflix service both. But by not giving me that opportunity, they're losing the ability to convince me.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-02-23, 00:03

I've been subscribing to Prime for years, but I don't know if there's a single movie that I can't already get with Netflix streaming.