User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Airport Extreme Base Station has trouble finding USB printer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport Extreme Base Station has trouble finding USB printer
RickR10

2007-05-23, 02:59

I have one of the new Airport Extreme Base Stations. I have a D-Link USB Hub hooked into it along with two devices hooked into that, a Western Digital My Book 500Gig HD and a Brother MFC-9700 USB printer.
I have had no problems at all with the My Book working with this setup but have a lot of problems with the printer. Often when it's working I don't have problems unless I turn the printer off and on, the base station off and on, or the power goes out resetting them. Sometimes it can take a day of unplugging, resetting, etc. until all of a sudden the Airport Utility finds the printer again. What could be causing this problem?
moiety

2007-05-27, 16:41

Did you try if the same thing happens with a different USB hub?

All said, though, I think you're simply not supposed to turn the printer off. Apple's Support site details the proper sequence in which the devices need to be turned on and connected. You first need to turn on the Airport Extreme, and only once it's done starting up and ready do you connect the printer. I suppose the device is very finicky about this order, and doesn't like the printer coming and going unexpectedly?

As a last resort, I'd check that you have the latest drivers for your printer...

I myself use an HP LaserJet 1012 connected to the USB port of an Airport Express, and share it with five computers in the house over wireless, and haven't had any trouble... I just leave the Express and the printer on at all times....