AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What should Apple do?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What should Apple do?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-07-11, 13:41

I thought about this for a while, and could not decide if it should be in existing hardware or rumor-weed-central. I finally decided to start here, as most of this could be considered speculation, although it is not really a speculation thread. So here it is!

There has been a great deal of speculation and guesswork as to what Apple might do, but I am posing the question, "What should Apple do?"

There are many threads within AN that speculate as to what is coming and when, as well as what it will look like. These speculative questions are almost always based on Apple's current list of specialties, rarely delving into possibilities outside the normal Mac/iPod realm (and, recently, the iPhone).

The primary debate seams to revolve around the cheaper, headless-Mac argument—the one that seems to generate the most outright anger and resentment among the faithful. The other debate that rings so loudly is within that $1700 laptop arena (the one that used to be filled with that cute, little, 12" thing). These two arguments have been rattled to death and I think we all understand the necessity to fill those voids.

The question posed would lead us, then, to wonder what markets Apple should explore—markets that would serve to enhance the total Mac experience. Now, I know there are those of you who believe that Apple should stick to building "computers", but that argument can no longer be served in a world increasingly dominated by embedded processors (i.e. "computers" are everywhere!) "Computers" are in our TVs, iPods, phones (of all types), toothbrushes, debit cards, etc. Thus, I believe that the notion of "Apple must stick to computers" really broadens with the big picture.

So, what market should Apple explore next? Should they delve headlong into TV? should they purchase EMI, or some other equivalent, to broaden their music holdings? should Apple expand the iPhone line to serve every carrier available? should they touch on the consumer electronics (i.e. A/V systems) market? should they expand the Mac product line? get into navigation systems (GPS)?

As a guy who spends 9 hours a day selling and supporting Macs and iPods, I can tell you what I want to see, purely from a sales standpoint. You can argue, if you want, that I don't know what the blazes I am talking about, but let me assure you: I do! I watch sales trends, market trends, etc. and need to keep pace with them in order to assist our owner in making the kinds of decisions that determine what we will stock for Christmas. If we guess wrong, we fail; if we guess right, we have a stellar season and go home laughing.

With that said, here is what I want the future (immediate or other) to look like, not based on what I want personally, but what I believe we can sell:

- I want a $1799 MacPro with a single chip
- I want a 13" tablet with Multitouch
- I want a Multitouch iPod with 32GB of flash
- I think Apple should buy a record company and change that industry.
- I want to see a 42", 1080p, TV thing. Eliminates all kinds of boxes!
- I want to see the iPhone offered by other carriers (find a way around that contract)
- I want to see Apple offer a GPS device

Sorry for the long post, but how else can one say it (or ask it?) Should Apple buy EMI and fix that market? Should they build a TV with TV built in?

Let us all read your thoughts. Not to beat on the Tablet and Headless bush, because it is dead, but we do need it, that is known. Let's speculate on what Apple should do to improve the Mac experience. From a business standpoint, not from a Fanboy standpoint. Not about features and content, but about products that need fixing, markets that need help, gadgets that exist but don't quite work.

It could be fun, it could be a disaster. Whichever!

P.S. Apple is watching.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-07-11, 13:52

Apple should do the Tango. Or maybe the Mambo.
But no way should they do the Macarena.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-11, 14:28

I think your multitouch 32GB iPod is in the hopper for the holiday season. I don't think any iPod running OS X will be HDD based since it will take too long to boot up.

As far as new stuff goes? That's tough. It's hard to think of something that doesn't exist yet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-11, 14:32

Well they've spent the past year or two getting into things I never dreamed they would (TV, multi-button mouse, supporting Windows, a cell phone, etc.), so it's obvious they're looking beyond "the Mac" themselves, and realizing there's a whole world out there.

I don't know.

On one hand, I love how simple and smart they make stuff (the Mac, the iPod and iPhone are all evidence of this). However, I seriously doubt people's ability (or willingness) to "embrace simplicity". I truly do believe that a huge chunk of the computer/electronic/gadget-buying population simply has it in their heads that "this stuff is supposed to be complex and, therefore, needs to be way over my head for me to spend this kind of money on it...'simple' is for sissies and 'intuitive' is for lightweights; real consumers lose an entire weekend installing and configuring a printer or performing an OS update!".

Sounds silly, but I know people who stop just short of actually saying that (but their purchasing patterns - and the time and energy they "struggle" with said purchases - seem to bear that out, and prove my theory on many occasions).

I don't think Apple would ever have much success or traction in the TV and A/V markets. Other names have been there longer, and people go with that (people may, wrongly, forever associate Apple with the Macs and OS and somewhat closed, proprietary approach of 10-15 years ago, and would never think to seriously buy anything from them (and sadly, they would never do a lick of research to calm or explain away their concerns).

So, having said that, I truly think Apple's smartest, best approach is to stick with what they seem to do best:

- Computers (desktops and laptops)
- iPod and digital media

Jury is still out on iPhone...not about to make a longterm prediction on less than two weeks. But if it goes well, then add that to the above.

I may change that opinion in a few years, but, at the moment, I have no desire or need to see OS X-driven coffee makers or restaurant card swipers/bar code kiosks, etc. In fact, that stuff - and talk about it - bores me to tears, and seems to remove the real-world, useful human element from what Apple does really well (compared to other tech-oriented companies).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-07-11, 15:12

Apple clearly wants to play in alternative markets; we know this by looking at TV and the phone thingy. I could see them getting into the DVD player business simply by sticking one into the TV. This is the only component missing that is separating the device from stardom.

The phone business could expand, and will if the iPhone shows success potential. You are right in your desire to wait and see.

An iPod with even half of the iPhone's features would rewrite the history of the pure PDA and ring in a whole new band of iPod purchasers.

But I still see other avenues where Apple could see some success. Owning a music label is one of those areas. That industry is so rife with corruption and greed, especially in the way they treat artists. It could create a new method for artists to test their music on the public, with pure digital, online distribution methods. Apple could spin said thing off as a new division and tie it to the iTunes thing. Hell, just relabel the label as iTunes Artists, Inc. or something.

And I would love to see them get GPS into the iPod. That would be the sealer for me. I don't even own an iPod (other than the shuffle my daughter gave me, but I don't use it—I'm not a big music buff) but would buy a Multitouch, GPS, flash-based PDA/iPod without a second thought, memory doesn't matter.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-07-11, 15:33

This is a stretch, but after thinking about what kind of digital devices and doodads we use day to day and which ones could really use some improvement, I thought that in-car nav/gps/info systems could use Apple's touch. I realize this is really not logistically possible, since Apple would have to deal with every car manufacturer on an individual basis, but I thought it would be nice if your car's systems could be controlled from a nice multi-touch iPhone-like screen.

Last edited by Xaqtly : 2007-07-11 at 15:34. Reason: spelling
GWARREN

2007-07-11, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Apple clearly wants to play in alternative markets; we know this by looking at TV and the phone thingy. I could see them getting into the DVD player business simply by sticking one into the TV. This is the only component missing that is separating the device from stardom.
Well that and tuner capability so you can record TV. Even just allow eyeTV software to run would let me buy an Apple TV instead of keeping my old mac mini under the TV.

On a serious, realistic note though, I believe that possible future products that Apple could sell include;

- Apple TV with DVD and TV Tuner built in (or at least update the Mac mini!)
- Sub-laptop - think 12" widescreen MacBook Pro. Way better and a bit lighter than the old 12" PB
- Mac Tablet (Onscreen keyboard, but use with USB or bluetooth keyboards at home)
- Flash memory iPods (I'll buy a 64GB iPod as soon as the price is right for them to make them)
- Airport Express with N support and ability to use hard drives, like the Extreme
- Mac Midi (if the mini gets canned)

PixelMix - an (almost) daily photoblog for Scotland.
BlockSoft - donationware for OSX.
fritz_LE

2007-07-11, 16:48

Hey kscherer - I am so glad you opened THAT thread - I was thinking 1 1/5 years about pretty much the same scenario: what _should_ apple do?
For many people and companies Apple is almost like a "prototype-agency" - the apple guys are taking something like a mouse or set-top-box an thinking about reducing it to the max, if you can follow me. (I put a post once year so this is gonna be a long one - sorry about that )

For example "Open Source":
- The Apple OS is founded on on Darwin/NextStep - I bet Microsofts next one will be based on Linux (see the patent struggle with SuSe/Novell/Linspire)
- All the special effects in Tiger/Leopard are taken from the Linux/BSD world

- Corporations are always about "externalize cost" - let the work do other people, get the profit, let other people care about cost: the OpenSource-community is a gold mine for companies like Apple and Sun.

If we talk about what apple "should" do, let's first have a look at Sun - they where three times or so _almoust_ married
Sun is about converting OpenSource technology into money putting theyr own gimmicks on top. Sun's not anymore producing chips and workstations on theyr own - they just like to sell the Sun-experience and the Sun-support. Like Novell but they care about a slightly different market.AND - didn't the Sun CEO last year in an interview say, he could run Sun completely with only 8 (!) employees?

So that was just an example but we have 2 main points:
- sell a BRAND not devices!
- externalize cost by using standard parts and lower development and guarantee costs (!)

Thats not all about Apple, beware, but it is essential to understand S. Job's business model over the past 10 years. And it runs, the f*** So Job's investet his money not so much in computer models, but in DESIGN both of the OS an the devices.
MacOS X is BSD-based now, Apple has by far lower developing/maintaining costs right now than 10 years ago i guess. the work keeping FreeBSD stable is done by others...
By the way: the "Macs" are now PCs - using standard parts all the way down and are faster than ever before - because INTEL is responsible for all the backround-developing apple has done completely on its own until 2005 (you know...).

Job's talked two weeks ago to his employees at Apple - he talked about a (business)chair: "Steve described it as trying to put the third leg onto a chair with only two legs. The first leg is the Mac business, which Steve addressed by saying that they have the "best Macs" in the new product pipeline ever right now, and that the stuff coming out in the next year is "off the charts." Wow, sounds juicy.

My bet is: "The Mac" is gonna be a designed special product line of the Dells an HPs and Fujitsu-Siemenses exclusively designed by Apple, running MacOS X.

Apple is never about gaining market share over 10% selling sealed boxes made by Apple, no matter what devices they sell at the sideboard, MacOS X is the heart of this company, it has to be more broadly availible than it is now because Apple wants to grow.

So at the end, Apple has imho two choices:
1 = sell MacOS X in every WalMart for every PC/Mobile Phone out there (but this one is too stupid)
2 = Sell (License) the Brand "Apple" (including OS) to Corporations you like (see what happens between Google and Apple the next 6 months)

OK i am done

ps: please excuse my bad english - i tried my best
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-11, 16:54

Apple should announce the new iMac as quickly as possible and then not announce the subnotebook until Roboman is ready to buy a new computer. *sigh*
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-11, 17:11

I'm hoping for a 12' PowerBook replacement.

A 12" MBP would be awesome.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-11, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
- I want a Multitouch iPod with 32GB of flash
Of all of your sugestions, I think this is the most likely. It's probably a dead cert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARREN View Post
Well that and tuner capability so you can record TV. Even just allow eyeTV software to run would let me buy an Apple TV instead of keeping my old mac mini under the TV.
Heh. Ditto. That's what I'm going to use my Mini for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARREN
- Apple TV with DVD and TV Tuner built in (or at least update the Mac mini!)
Great idea. TV with a DVD player built in (perhaps even a Blu-Ray drive [or HD-DVD, but if I remember correctly, Apple are in the Blu-Ray camp]) would mean one less box under the TV set. I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place.

And now for my own wishes:
  • Don't kill the Mac Mini! It gets people in the door, so to speak. It needs a bit of a revamp, but don't kill it off.
  • Do something with .mac. Much of its services are available from Google and others. Either give it away free to all Mac users (Ha!), or give us a 'wow factor' feature of some description. I'm not a subscriber, but I'd join up if it was that little bit more value for money.
  • Make all of their computers as easy to access as the MacBook for RAM and Hard Drive upgrades. It was managed on the MB without destroying the design, I'm sure it's possible to implement on the others. (Enter random rant about having to remove antennae in the Mini)
  • Memory prices at the Apple Store. What's that all about!? If they're not going to make the RAM slots easily accessible, then make prices for upgrades when purchasing equal to the market, or damn near.
  • Increase the length of the USB cable on the Mighty Mouse. Fix the scroll ball; replace it with multi touch perhaps, as has been hinted at. I'm fed up of washing my hands every time I sit down to use the thing for fear of getting dirt/grease inside it.
  • Since Front Row will become part of Leopard, release an IR receiver for Macs without one. Bundle with an Apple Remote. Make it pretty. And don't make it expensive.

These are hardly radical plans; rather little niggles that I think Apple should adopt to make the whole Apple experience a little better. I think entering even more markets in which Apple has no experience (read: buying a record label?!) is a bit much. Stick to what they do best, but do it better!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-07-11, 19:19

Quote:
Great idea. TV with a DVD player built in (perhaps even a Blu-Ray drive [or HD-DVD, but if I remember correctly, Apple are in the Blu-Ray camp]) would mean one less box under the TV set. I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place.
Blu-Ray FTW.

It would be very smart marketing, as many upscale consumers will be looking to buy a Blu-Ray player anyway... so why not pay a little extra and get a tricked-out, Apple-slick-and-easy media center?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-07-11, 19:30

Blue Ray in TV would be cool, as long as it also played DVD. I'd hate to have to replace my VHS library, again!
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-07-11, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz_LE View Post
2 = Sell (License) the Brand "Apple" (including OS) to Corporations you like (see what happens between Google and Apple the next 6 months)
Oh god, let's hope not - way too ruin a brand name!

GPS I would not be surprised at all if it was integrated into iPhone in the next year. It would go so well with Google Maps! Now imagine if you could dock your iPhone in your car in landscape mode and use it as a navigation system, as well as being able to play your music through the stereo! That would be awesome!

Ultra-thin subnotebook: I've mentioned this in other threads and the rumours seem to be more or less in support... A new subnotebook with flash-hard drives of 32 GB or 64 GB - amazingly thin, and minimized bezel around the screen. The flash hard-drive would not only allow them to push the boundaries of thinness but also keep the battery lasting a bit longer and have near-instant boot times. Imagine being able to slip a notebook in your bag or briefcase amongst your other A4 sized books etc and not even noticing it... then you pull it out, open it up and it's instantly ready to do what you want... with at least a 10+ hour battery (the longer the battery, the more useful this thing will be). Oh and the optical drive is external

Media Centre: I've been banging on about this since I joined but I really think they should release a proper Media Centre. Every day I believe they will less and less - they've built up a business model around iTunes - hence the Apple TV. Apple TV is like a Media Centre that only plays content from iTunes. But while we're talking about what we think they should do:
- Dual Layer Superdrive
- Dual tuners
- 250 GB HDD
- Possibly games*
- iTunes with video rental service

Mac: Mac Mini is replaced with an larger but expandable Mac. Starting at US$499, but can be expanded to act as a headless midrange.

Apple's strength is in media and computers. I don't see them expanding outside this feild anytime soon. It would dilute the brand too much, and they'd probably end up losing focus. The iPhone rests comfortably within the media and computer feild. It's basically a miniature computer-slash-media player.

*DISCLAIMER: Games would be an ADDED BONUS, Apple would NOT be trying to compete in a console market - simply adding an alternative for casual gamers (and would-be casual gamers) who are already purchasing this thing. As an ADDED BONUS. No flaming pleeeaaaase.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-07-11, 19:43

Apple should do something that would re-invent the computer. For example, and as I wrote in another thread, how about an interface that would do away with a keyboard. I am not talking about a computer with an iPhone touch-sceen (I voted against that option in the thread about it), but maybe something that would make a big leap in voice recognition combined with something else. I am not sure what...but then again, I don't work at Apple, or even in IT.

My overall point is to imagine the home computer in 20-30 years - and I've got to think it will change - and have Apple start to lead the way toward it now.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
hobbit.2

2007-07-11, 20:22

Thought about this question a lot too. What should Apple do?

It should create awe-inspiring, revolutionary products which are simple to use, enhance everyone's life and are developed and built through fair trade and cooperation.

That's certainly a nice idea. But can it be real?

At one point, in the very early days, Apple was about making computing affordable and accessible. The computer 'for the rest of us'. That idea still spooks around in some Apple heads - but I'm not sure it's still Apple's goal. Or ours for that matter.
Easy accessibility might still be a goal to some extent - where it converges with Apple's aim for simplicity. But like pscates, I'm not even sure simplicity is still a goal 'for the rest of us'. I see many people enjoying their endless knobs, modules, cables and 'PC DIY' configuration possibilities. It's like a hobby to them. Like modding cars. Or redecorating the home.

And let's not forget Apple, as a corporation, is in the market of making money. They are not a charity. As much as we would like them to be - and Apple is good at keeping its 'hippy' image alive. Taking over EMI and offering a 'fair deal' record label is something that would be great to have, but will likely not happen - for exactly that reason. And reading about the AT&T deal, where Apple reportedly squeezed out even kick-backs, being labelled 'arrogant' by others, proves that Apple can be quite the bully when it comes to making money.

Unfortunately with the need to make money usually comes less risk taking. Cudos to Jobs that he still banks the company from time to time. But I am not sure how often we will still see this.
Apple is the only major computer manufacturer left who builds hard- and software. Theoretically with that combo they could do anything. But looking at their R&D budget, which has been shrinking, they're not doing much.
Certainly not enough to expect 'revolutionary' new devices. More likely new mixtures of existing components. But that might be good enough.
Yet it likely means that we can't expect revolutionary steps like multi-touch, keyboard-less, voice-recognizing computing walls.

What Apple realised is that they can't change existing patterns. That's an uphill struggle. The best chance they have is shifting patterns, create new markets that have not existed before (at least in that form) and be the first to do it (in that form). Which doesn't have to be a revolutionary development, but could simply be a new mix that hasn't been tried before.

As much as I would love an Apple TV with built-in DVD player, that would miss the point. Apple TV is a device built for a new market, one when the DVD is dead (in whichever form, traditional, Blu-Ray, HD...). There will be a time when movies will only be purchased and viewed electronically with no physical medium. Who knows when it will happen, but the Apple TV is for that market.

I can see a similar shift in the book/magazin/newspaper market. Ebook readers haven't really taken off. But why? Do we no longer read as much (watching You Tube instead)? Do we prefer moving information rather than printed? How far will any such device merge with a communication/media device (Internet, phone, MP3 player, movie viewer). Will it be one and the same?

How about Apple getting into the clothing business with built-in bendable screens and communication devices providing all the information needed while away from one's multi-touch desk (computer)?

Or a stackable computer module which can be used on its own but also combined like LEGO bricks to increase performance (nearly) linearly?
It has been done with servers but why not on a smaller scale?

Certainly Mac OS X is Apple's biggest product. But perhaps their only product. Regardless whether Apple has 3 legs (Macs, iPods and iPhone) or 4 with the Apple TV, they all do (or soon will) run the same Mac OS X. So effectively are just one product - in different forms.
Wherever Mac OS X can be envisioned to be employed, that's a potential new market for Apple.
WMD

Send a message via ICQ to WMD Send a message via AIM to WMD Send a message via Yahoo to WMD  
2007-07-11, 22:54

I didn't read everyone's posts, so, forgive any duplication.

-12" PowerBook replacement. Perhaps in the current form factor, but even better would be 12" WXGA (1280x800). These days, 1024x768 is pretty much a joke. Price it at $1,599, just like when the 12" PB first came out. The specs are up to Apple.

-Something headless to fit between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. Take out the "workstation" parts (like Xeon, FB-DIMM) and perhaps some RAM slots, maybe one of the PCI-E slots...and one CPU socket. They could price something decent at $1,499.

-The big flash iPod. This is more inevitable than anything, I think. I have a black-and-white 4G 20GB unit right now, and I figure with a battery replacement, it should be fine until something like this comes out. From my slightly-informed judgement, that should be 2009 for a 32GB unit.

-PPC support for OS X past Leopard.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-07-11, 23:07

Ok the hmurchison "Here's what Apple needs to do"

1. Develop a subnotebook with a dock. Jettison the DVD drive and offer a usb external option. Use a 1.8" drive with SSD options.

2. Develop ClusterMac. These would be headless SFF Macs with 1-2 PCI express slots standard I/O and an Infiniband port. They'd link over the infiniband using Xgrid 2 for clustered support. You could order ClusterMacs without video reducing the cost.

3. Cinema Displays- hi DPI displays that beg that you use Resolution Independence. HDCP enabled to playback the lovely DRM'd HD stuff.

4. GPS system- multi touch licensed to manufacturers with nice multimedia features

5. Apple TV ecosystem- DVD option for those that need it, AVR with digital amplification and 4 HDMI inputs, HDMI CEC for device control, faster chips for 1080p support. Multi touch Universal remote control with Macros. Home Automation software for linking multiple tv together and setting up zones. Offer zigbee, zwave or insteon support.

6. Apple projector- deliver business and home theater projectors.

7. Home OS X Server- take advantage of OS X's easy server setup. Allow end users to set up HFS or ZFS based centralized storage. Deliver a revamped iTunes that allows media to be stored centerally yet allows for unique metadata to be attached according to the user.

8. Deliver a Telephony solution that enables small business to utilize Unified Messaging which includes VOIP, iChat IM, Email and 3rd party hooks so that I could link in Skype or Phlink/Phonevalet.

9 Develop a robust Voice Recognition/speech to text core that runs on iPhones, Tablet Macs and up.

10. Design a robust Pro level Web authoring app that is more like Coda on steroids.

11 Create a big brother to iWork. Support Open Document standard as as many formats as feasible.

12 Aquire a gaming studio and deliver Macintosh "showcase" games. Include a new game every new OS version.

Make it so.

omgwtfbbq
Electric Monk

2007-07-12, 04:25

Develop the iPhone into the Newton+mobile successor it should be. I should be able to take my iPhone and do just about anything on it that doesn't require a fast CPU/GPU.

The iPhone should be your external brain and communicator. By brain I mean both storage and manipulation of data (i.e. all things you do with your current computer in portable form), and by communicator I just mean the various text, call, voip, email, internet and so forth ways you access non-local data and send stuff.

Currently it's exactly what Apple says it is: mobile + internet communicator + iPod. I would take this and just expand and blur.

Looking at the evolution of devices the mobile and convergence wins. The mobile took over the low-end camera space and started moving up, it took over the low-end mp3 space and started moving up, and it's taken the low-end Internet/email space and started moving up. Add GPS and TV to that—at least in Japan/South Korea—and the mobile is becoming the convergence device.

An iPhone (+SDK) + portable keyboard can replace what a lot (a majority?) of what people do with notebooks, especially smaller (OMPC) sized ones. In Japan, for instance, internet access via mobiles is now ahead of access via computers. Imagine how it would look if the iPhone and competing devices replaced most of the small ultra-portable computers.

I see no reason it shouldn't evolve towards that as long as the user sees only what he wants to see (simplicity first, complexity if you want to add programs and the like).

There's a reason Apple stresses the iPhone so much and it's not just the money, it's that I bet they really do see this as the way forward.
------
The short term basics?
- Subnotebook with external dock/optical drive
- 6-8 Month hardware refresh cycle on the iPhone + software updates
- iPhone SDK.
- iPod with multitouch/coverflow but no WiFi/internet stuff by Macworld 2008
- xMac

Take a step-back and look at all the current software and operating system and conduct a program review of their entire company.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-07-12, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Apple should do something that would re-invent the computer. For example, and as I wrote in another thread, how about an interface that would do away with a keyboard. I am not talking about a computer with an iPhone touch-sceen (I voted against that option in the thread about it), but maybe something that would make a big leap in voice recognition combined with something else. I am not sure what...but then again, I don't work at Apple, or even in IT.

My overall point is to imagine the home computer in 20-30 years - and I've got to think it will change - and have Apple start to lead the way toward it now.
Yes. Come on Apple Innovate.
Paranoid666au

2007-07-12, 05:17

Apple should release a mid range upgradable Mac!

Yes, I did say it!

Why does gaming suck on OS X and can Apple solve this problem ever? I'd love to get into PC gaming but with out having to deal with Windows!

iPhone - finger licking good.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-12, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid666au View Post
Why does gaming suck on OS X and can Apple solve this problem ever?
Gaming sucks because either game developers are lazy or game developers don't have the motivation to make good Mac games. I don't think Apple can do anything about this short of taking a much larger market share.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-12, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Gaming sucks because either game developers are lazy or game developers don't have the motivation to make good Mac games. I don't think Apple can do anything about this short of taking a much larger market share.
There's also the fact that video card drivers in NT/2000/XP run in kernel space. IIRC, these drivers were moved out of the kernel in Vista, causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth due to reduced video performance.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-07-12, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Or, Apple could take a direct hand in this. If there is one thing that drives your developers to fill a hole, it is competition. Apple should spin off a gaming division and start making some really awesome games. Start by buying someone like Ambrosia Software and/or Pangea Software, then populate the joint with some good game-developer-kid-types. If Apple builds some realler killer games, then the other guys will follow suit.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-07-12, 13:06

I agree strongly with the Apple Gaming Studio idea. It would be a good fit for the Apple ethos, fill a void in Mac software, and encourage other developers to follow suit. And although it would probably be a money-loser, at least in the short term, the long-term benefits to support the Mac platform would make it more than worthwhile (and in any case, the money spent would be pocket change to Apple). Apple positions itself as multi-media leader - but multi-media very much includes games. I just don't understand why Apple has not taken the plunge here.*

*And it is not as though this is a new idea. I remember that some of us were posting about this years ago. It almost seems sometimes like Steve J. is not reading AN.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-07-12, 13:08

Apple should stick to what they're good at and innovate within those areas, not try to expand into new markets where they have no idea what they're doing and will spend time trying to find their feet before being able to be a serious competitor, which will hurt them. For example, there's no need for Apple to buy a music label- they're completely unfamilar with the business and it would hurt them more than help them.

If you think about it, recent trends aren't the radical departure from Apple's computing business that they might seem to be at first. The iPod was a natural progression. Apple made portable music simple and natural to use, the same as they've done with computing. Portable music devices aren't far from computers. The same is true of the iPhone. Many people complained that the iPhone is Apple moving away from their core; I did it at first, too! Then I realized that Apple was aiming to bring ultra-mobile computing (i.e. PocketPCs, Palm, or the Newton) to a crowd that would be likely to adopt it, and that iPhone really wasn't a radical departure.

I have to admit to some doubt about the AppleTV. I think Apple certainly has the right idea in trying to make digital video easier for the average consumer to use. On the other hand, their timing is off. iPod came out at the right time, when demand for portable digital music was about to take off. AppleTV is badly timed. While many more-technologically-inclined users might purchase the AppleTV- or take a Mini and make it do something similar- the general public does not yet have enough digital video content to make it a worthwhile thing to adopt. (I'm assuming consumers aren't going to buy it just for music or photos, but primarily for video. The TV part of the name seems to agree with that.) Perhaps in a year or so, the same kind of wave may begin to build and AppleTV will take off. I just feel that now was not the right time. If Apple can add more value to the AppleTV (make it work with more kinds of TVs, add a DVD player because that would go along with the dislike of wires and multiple boxes Apple has, add much more and better-quality-when-played-on-TV content to iTunes, a TV tuner, etc) and cut the price a smidgen, that would put the AppleTV in a position to be highly competitive when the true demand does come.

In terms of their computing business, Apple needs to support the middle better than they currently are. If the rumors of the 17" iMac being dropped are true, that will leave only the Mini as a low-end desktop, and that's going to hurt sales. There's a category of people who want more power than the mini but less than the MacPro or the 24" iMac (and who probably aren't going to want an All in One anyway), and Apple's not going to be able to get them easily. A headless midrange Mac that has the ability to be expanded (accessible RAM and HD, PCI slots, etc) with the starting specs and price of the better 17" iMac would be a good choice that could attract offices, computer labs, and schools who need a low price but more power than the Minis. A tablet subnotebook would be nice, but like with the AppleTV, I don't think the average consumer is going to purchase that yet, especially if it doesn't have a keyboard. A 12" convertible-style tablet that has both an iPhone-like onscreen keyboard and multi-touch but retains a physical keyboard would be an effective compromise; it allows the simplicity of multi-touch and a tablet while keeping a keyboard for times when significant typing needs to be done. This might prove to be prohibitively expensive, however. I don't know much about tablets.

Wow, I've really gone and rambled quite a bit here, haven't I?
Baron Munchausen

2007-07-12, 14:01

What hmurchison says.

I can see iPhone + GPS + .Mac + Google + myMaps being one heck of a mash-up.

1080p is a must. I also would like a centralised archive for 21 days history of free-to-air TV content. I know the BBC is doing this for 7 days, but I think it would be cool for Apple (+Google?) to provide it for all channels. Indexing and searching, potentially using a "youtube" type UI to search for the content clips, preview them and have an option to download the entire programme. Also to have a series of "nets" out to catch whatever content - e.g. anything with Jack Lemon or on the topic of flooding, for example, and queue that up for background viewing.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-07-12, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post

I have to admit to some doubt about the AppleTV. I think Apple certainly has the right idea in trying to make digital video easier for the average consumer to use. On the other hand, their timing is off. iPod came out at the right time, when demand for portable digital music was about to take off. AppleTV is badly timed. While many more-technologically-inclined users might purchase the AppleTV- or take a Mini and make it do something similar- the general public does not yet have enough digital video content to make it a worthwhile thing to adopt. (I'm assuming consumers aren't going to buy it just for music or photos, but primarily for video. The TV part of the name seems to agree with that.) Perhaps in a year or so, the same kind of wave may begin to build and AppleTV will take off. I just feel that now was not the right time. If Apple can add more value to the AppleTV (make it work with more kinds of TVs, add a DVD player because that would go along with the dislike of wires and multiple boxes Apple has, add much more and better-quality-when-played-on-TV content to iTunes, a TV tuner, etc) and cut the price a smidgen, that would put the AppleTV in a position to be highly competitive when the true demand does come.

Wow, I've really gone and rambled quite a bit here, haven't I?
Absolutely correct. Apple is still focusing on core competencies. Even the iPhone is largely based on Apple's know how of operating systems..I'm sure the phone part was the easist part.

I may be in the minority but I see tremendous potential with the Apple TV. I think Apple is simply seeding the market right now and supporting iTunes and iLife media. This is phase 1. Phase 2 will likely involve iTunes 8 and the ability to either purchase or rent (or both) HD content from iTunes. Phase 3 will be supporting multiple ATV which then effectively becomes zoned home network for audio/video/photos. Leopard just so happens to have better Spotlight searching facillities along with Bonjour and personal file sharing. This will simmer down into a delicious milieu of home networking/distribution that will form the backbone of the ATV network.

From that point on Apple can branch out with supporting products (optical players, AV amplification etc) and grow this market from "hobby" as Steve puts it into another Billion dollar product line. The limitation today are consumer bandwidth for downloads, improved DRM for the video and the decoding ability of the ATV (limited to 5Mbps 720p) I think these all will be addressed nicely in the next 18 months.

omgwtfbbq
Anthem

2007-07-13, 14:48

Fix the Mini.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-07-13, 15:03

I think Apple should do something that will make everyone here stop talking about the iPhone.

I would like to see Apple focus on their hardware, new designs for all machines and displays (other than maybe the Macbook). I would also like to see better battery life on the standard iPods, more in line with the current Nano if possible, and for all models not just the top of the line ones.

I would also like to see iWork expand into a full group of apps, maybe have standard iWork and iWork Pro? iWork standard would keep what there is now, and Pro would have spreadsheets, and other goodies for$20 more than the standard version. Even better would be to have just one version for all.

Last edited by PB PM : 2007-07-13 at 15:36. Reason: because I said battery twice... doh