User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

1st Gen iPhone speakers rather ...weak.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
1st Gen iPhone speakers rather ...weak.
timmmee

2008-07-11, 18:50

Hey y'all. I have a first generation iPhone which I love for all but one thing - the damn speakers are so quiet that I miss calls if I'm not in a silent room. (The rumbleyness is also kinda weak, but I care more about the lack of sound.)

I'm wondering if any of you have had that problem and what your success rate is in getting it fixed. Is it fixable? Would they replace it? Are they even still sitting on 1st generation iPhones?

Many thanks.

(And yeah, still under the 1-yr warranty, of course.)

Edit: I ask because I don't think I can call and get the troubleshooting advice anymore, and it'd be about an hour drive to the nearest Apple store. I really don't want to pack my iPhone up and send it away so I'd be making the journey if you guys told me this is something that they normally replace.
k squared

2008-07-12, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmmee View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have had that problem and what your success rate is in getting it fixed. Is it fixable? Would they replace it? Are they even still sitting on 1st generation iPhones
It's only a problem if the speakers were "loud" and then become "not loud". The speakers might have been bad out of box, but you would have to test your iPhone against another iPhone.

Have you tried using another ring tone? I use the old-style phone sound and can hear it across a crowded room -- of course ymmv.

The speakers on the iPhone 3G are improved: maybe you should upgrade?

For Apple to replace your iPhone with a new 1st generation iPhone, you would have to prove that the speakers are not as loud as the typical iPhone. And I'm sure Apple has an ample supply of 1G iPhone for repair/warranty purposes.
timmmee

2008-07-12, 22:42

Yeah, I guess I could use my sister's iPhone as a comparison. Hers is crazy loud in comparison.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-07-12, 23:00

Try swinging by an Apple store and ask if they can give you a refurbished 1st gen. Most of the refurb ones have better speakers.