Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod and Podcasting vs. external HD
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2005-08-24, 10:48

Blue and white G3 300 - 512 ram - 6gig HD - 10.3.9

I also have an external firewire 20gig HD plugged in that is used to store the bigger files. MP3's, JPG's, and most of my daughters games.

My wife is the primary user of this machine, and the 20gig came from my old 14" iBook when I had a 60gig put in.

She has a 20gig iPod that I bought at Christmas time 2004, I know it is currently running the most up to date software.

Podcasts are where we are getting the trouble. This is not an everytime thing, but it has happend twice. It seems that after downloading the podcast to the 20gig, and while trying to upload the podcast to the iPod, the G3 display's "device removed" It is referring to the the 20gig. After a couple of reboots, she can get the iPod disconnected from the G3, but all of her podcasts are gone from the iPod. Then, after a shut down and restart of the G3 she can re-connect the 20gig and all is well!!??!! It will re-load all of her podcasts and the new podcast that she was trying to upload.

The 20gig has over 7gigs of available space, so I don't think this is an issue. And since this is the first iPod in our house, I don't have a lot of experience with them. It doesn't seem to be a major problem, more of an annoying one since todays problems caused my wife to get me out of bed about two hours before I felt it would be necessary.

thanks for any insight you can provide.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-08-24, 11:53

How are you connecting the iPod and external drive? If they're on the same firewire chain, maybe that's causing problems (e.g., your iPod is connected to your drive which is connected to your iBook). As far as solutions go, I'm not sure what your options are. Your iBook doesn't have USB 2, so USB transfer to the iPod would be very slow and I'm not sure it would work anyway. Hmmmm...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2005-08-24, 12:24

Not on the same chain, but you could be on to something...

With the two firewire ports on the G3, I have the 20gig on one port, and an external CD Burner on the other. Since the CD Burner has another port, I have the iPod plugged into that.

Again, this problem has only cropped up with the podcasts, not with MP3's. Which to my limited knowledge makes no sense what so ever.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.