Working Out – And Suffering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Working Out – And Suffering
Page 4 of 9 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-02-08, 14:44

Congrats guys!!!!

Dude....kscherer!!!! That's amazing news!!! So happy for you.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-08, 15:24

Thanks, Yontsey. It's an adventure.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-08, 15:33

I forgot to mention, amazing job there Yontsey! There is a guy I used to listen to all the time who was pretty critical of most fads. He had a motto that is so true for weight loss, "Eat less, do more". So simple and yet we complicate it most of the time.

I know I can eat more crap than I am but I'm ready to get trim again. At one point I was at about 10% body fat. I completed the Navy fitness test with an Outstanding. I have athleticism in me... Just got lazy and obese. This pandemic being stuck at home has been such a blessing for me and my family. Being able to focus on getting active and workout is huge for us.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-15, 10:58

So I talked with my trainer and he really recommended that I stick with the weights three days a week and cardio the other four. He also has me now intermittent fasting those workout days down to 500 calories. D:

I've already been cutting so hard that I'm down to 182.4 this morning. I'm expecting 1700 calories a day but have averaged far less. Last week I average about 1300 per day.

Today is the first day I've got to try to stay at 500 while doing weights. So far I've had egg whites and coffee. I'm not logging my vitamins in Lose It, but I'm still taking them so I can't fall but so far behind nutritionally.

I will say, the lack of calories has really killed my general energy. I'm not ready to fall over or anything but there is a clear deficit happening.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-02-15 at 17:01.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-15, 12:18

Great work, Turtle! Hunger sucks, but it's a small price to pay.

News:

Where to start?

So, last week I weighed in at 169.8, and that was a milestone for me because I haven't been that light for so long! Well, a lot happened last week. I absolutely tortured myself through the week, but I've done that before and not had this happen.

As most of you know, my target weight has been 165. This A.M. I stepped on the scale and knew it had to be broken. So I got off and stepped back on. Same result. Off, and then on again. Same clothes, same scale, roughly the same time of day. Same result all three times.

160.5!!!

Yes, that is correct. I was shooting for 165 by the end of the month, and this morning I was 160.5. I lost 9 pounds last week, and this morning I'm still in awe. Seriously, I have no idea what happened, other than I shoveled a lot of snow!

So, as most of you also know, I promised myself a celebration donut when I hit target, and today I made good on that promise. And, yes, donuts are still yummy! Oh, and chocolate milk, because that's healthy!

So, that's 35 pounds since late last March, and I'm taking the week off from obsessing over calories. I'll continue to eat healthy this week as I've been doing (my habits have changed, but the donuts are calling from the other room—I bought a dozen to share with the crew ). Next week, starting on Monday, I'll get back at the weights, the walks, and the cardio. I'll kick my diet up to 2300 calories/day and start working on some muscle. It won't be easy, but at least I can eat.

And holy cow am I hungry!

I'm not done yet, but I've crossed a milestone of goal-setting and a feeling of accomplishment that I haven't felt in years! And I'm still rooting for those of you working your way down, or up or whatever your goals are. Hell, if I can do it I know you guys can. Turtle, great work, my friend. Yontsey, keep "pounding" away. Keep it up! You got this.

And, Brad, thanks for hosting this board so us old farts can share this stuff!

Update 2/17:

Back up there where I mentioned that I thought the scale was broken?

It was.

And this AM I stepped on the scale just to double check and it read 170. No way I gained 10 pounds in 2 days doing nothing different other than having a couple donuts.

So, Monday I got overly excited, celebrated, and then gained a pound and now I'm cursing myself.

But, I have to be honest in this game. There are going to be gains and losses. It has been a losing week.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-17 at 12:34.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-17, 12:44

That sucks Ken. At least you figured it out before shifting your whole plan again though!

I'm starving as one would expect. Today is a 500 cal day and so far it's been egg whites and coffee. My trainer said he normally ends up with about 600 on his intermittent fasting days so I have been given the green light to be flexible. The idea being high protein and low carb for these days.

I'm looking forward to feeling like I have engird again though! Having cut so hard is getting the results: pants are getting loose, Watch band has more room... that kind of thing. I can kinda see the results in the mirror as I workout now too. Still hard with all the fat, but I am starting to notice the difference.

I was my lowest in as far back as is logged in my phone now too. today was 181.24! Almost 20 pounds lower than my highest in recent history.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-17, 13:07

Good job, Turtle. Keep it up!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-19, 14:47

500 calorie fast days suck.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-19, 15:04

I do a water fast before date night, and am thinking about adding a second day. Usually, I don't work out on fast days, but next week I'm going to. That will be a rough day.

Basically, it's no food from evening the day before until we go out to eat. Then I feel like a pig at a trough!

It gives me the ability to enjoy a nice meal without getting behind. When you're looking at 1500 calories/day, it means I can still have a burger, fries and a cold beer and still make that goal.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-19, 15:15

Yeah, I feel like I'm eating like a pig the other four days a week when I'm getting 1700. My lunch today was 5.7oz of cod and 8 asparagus stalks. Not much but somewhat filling. Egg whites for breakfast again. Not sure what dinner will be... fish and salad is my guess though.

These fasting days are my strength training days too. They are harder since cutting my calorie intake across the board let alone cutting down to 500 on my weight days. Thankfully I'm not truly suffering, just uncomfortable.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-19, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Thankfully I'm not truly suffering, just uncomfortable.
That's the thing. We're not starving to death, even though it feels like it sometimes. I can run to the fridge whenever it gets too crazy.

In the end we are building willpower and stamina that are much needed. Just this morning I woke up at 6, looked at the clock, and decided to just go back to bed. But then I sat up and said, "No, I'm doing this!" And then went down to the Y* , walked the treadmill for 20 minutes, rode the bike for 20 minutes, hit the stairmaster for 5, then used the bench press machine, and had myself a leg day.

It's the first time in the past year that I've overcome that urge to go back to bed. And I'm better for it.

* My wife and I decided to join. It gives me access to more wights, the best machines on the planet, a pool coming in June, and a warm climate for walking and riding and such. I was considering getting a Bowflex home gym, and opted for the Y instead. Plus, it's five minutes away, so I'm not losing very much time.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-02-19, 18:27

Despite working out and eating well my cardio fitness level (according to Apple Health) just keeps going down.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-19, 21:44

I just realized that today is my firs Friday at 500. This means I can't have wine with my wife tonight. She is also doing 500 calories with me.

Is a glass at midnight the new day?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-19, 23:30

Turtle:

You listen to me right now, brother. DO NOT let your diet interfere with your relationship with your wife. HAVE THAT GLASS OF WINE WITH HER!

And that's an order, sailor!

A glass of wine is about 90 calories.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-02-20, 10:31

Not to question you Turtle, but this whole diet you have described sounds very unsustainable. I think you should consider changing it around so you have more long term success. Short time feels good but long term is what you want.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-20, 14:54

Ken, we did have the wine, just not a full glass like we normally do. Date night still happened.

Yontsey, The cut to 500 M/W/F is not permanent. It is until we get closer to our goal weights. Heck, even then 1700 (for me) isn't going to stick after I reach my goal weight. This is just cutting to for my body to use what it already has stored up. While I might be able to make the time to workout for 2 hours a day to burn the calories that way, I'd rather cut them on the intake and force my body to burn what it has.

The increase in caloric intake will also happen gradually. We won't go from 8300 a week to 16800 once the goals are hit either.

What is sustainable about the way Mrs T and I are eating now is that more grows out of the ground than I've ever eaten. Less additives like sauces and such that just add calories. It is amazing what makes food so calorie "expensive" when you're watching what you eat. Our lifestyles have changed and hopefully will generally stay that way.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-20, 16:25

Wait, you mean you're only consuming 500/day total? Not just a 500/day deficit?

Yeah, do please be careful and keep in mind that healthy weight loss rates are in the 1-2 lbs/week range (which translates to the 500/day deficit from your maintenance caloric intake). If you keep a more intense fasting diet routine than that, it's going to mess with all kinds of hormones and likely have unexpected side effects like increased irritability, headaches, loss of sleep, loss of concentration, etc. This can be especially bad for women and result in amenorrhea (loss of menstrual cycle). You don't even have to go as low as 500/day to get that; I know someone who experienced exactly this condition, and after realizing the cause, it was scary enough to quickly snap her back into a more sustainable diet.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-21, 10:11

Yeah, this is why it is a short sprint of it and with both of us watching each other too. S/T/T/S is it 1700 and M/W/F is it 500. Again, short term and not a permanent thing at all.

Rather than doing like my trainer who only eats one banana and some protein products we are having cod and some form of green stuff for each meal. Plus we take our vitamins too.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-22, 00:09

Gonna be a whole lotta diet modification once you reach your target.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-23, 18:57

Weighed in yesterday at 169, so I lost the pound and a half that last week's error introduced.

My wife and I got a Y membership last week and I've used it every day since. M/W/F I'm lifting weights and discovering lots of new muscles, especially with the bench press machine and the crunch machine. Yuck! T/TH I'm walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes at 4mph with a slight incline, then getting on the stationary bike on level 8 and 100rpm for 20 minutes, then it's leg day and back day and the new muscles that the lat pulldown machine is discovering. Also yuck!

Today is date night, and I've decided to stop "taking the day off" from my workout. The day off was because I fast from Monday evening through Tuesday evening so I can enjoy a nice meal and beer with my wife on Tuesday night while not losing any progress. It's tough, but I fast often so I can take it.

BUT! Today I did my T/TH routine and am down 450 calories from the workout. And boy am I feeling it. It's coming up on 5pm as I type this, and it's still 2 hours until there is any food in my belly (but only an hour and a half before the beer gets there ). The best part? Thursday this week is my monthly man-date with my best buds and I get to do it again. Twice in one week. Yay Me!

But, after last week's oops I'm even more set on getting to my goal. And don't worry. Tonight's salmon fish & chips with beer and desert will yield at least 1500 calories and Thursday's burger and beer will get me that or more. So I'm not starving.

But, damn, I'm hungry!

Polonis
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-02-24, 02:54

I want to get rid of my extra kg and don't know how to do this. I am disappointed.

By the way, I eat Toledoan bantha poodoo, which might be my problem.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-24 at 12:46.
Stanyz
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-02-24, 02:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polonis View Post
I want to get rid of my extra kg and don't know how to do this. I am disappointed.
You will get rid of those digestive problems only after will regulate your lifestyle. I also had such problems but I am proud that I realized that I have to make changes and I had the inner strength to do that. I started to take care of the foods I eat and the way of life in general. Products from Toledo have helped me a lot because they contain elements necessary for the body to maintain a good shape. I wish you a lot of courage and I hope you get rid of these problems you have.

By way, I also consume Toledoan bantha poodoo, but problems of my are to much to describe here.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-24 at 12:49.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-24, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanyz View Post
You will get rid of those digestive problems only after will regulate your lifestyle.
DOGDAMMIT Polonis how many times will it take for you to LISTEN to us? I'm frankly tired of your helpless attitude and Stanyz is being too polite by half. You eat crap, you look like crap, it's that simple.

GROW UP.

Every single post you've made this week has been defeatist.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-24, 10:03

I'm under 180 now generally consistently. This is huge given I haven't been this low since I built decks for a living after getting out of the Navy I think. 20+ years.

Also, I decided to check my blood pressure recently and was surprised by it. Thankfully it wasn't absurd or anything, but it was labeled higher than I liked. Last night was the third or fourth night in a row that it was down in the normal ranges again! I'm thinking all the cardio I do along with the change in diet (sodium moderation) has made a huge difference for me.

This week is my intermittent fasting week again on M/W/F. After that I'm going back to regular 1700 a day for at least a few weeks if not month. I will say that the fasting has made a difference in trimming my fat. I still have energy to do things but am always hungry. I'm still maintaining muscle mass too, at least according to the scale. Body fat is dropping and so is BMI. Finally under 25 there!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-24, 10:16

Quote:
I'm under 180 now generally consistently. This is huge given I haven't been this low since I built decks for a living after getting out of the Navy I think. 20+ years.
You could say you just went back to your roots. Instead of building decks, now you're building bodies.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-24, 12:48

I see what you did there.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-01, 12:27

Well, I've reached another stagnation point at roughly 170. I weighed in this morning at 169, which makes it 4 weeks in a row, I think. Apparently, my body needs 1700 calories/day to maintain 170-ish. I think the trouble is the inconsistency in measuring caloric intake as pertains to my app. These numbers are all generalizations and I am learning they absolutely cannot be counted on for accuracy, especially the workout numbers.

Also, working out burns calories, but that burn is also generalized, and there is no way to no for sure if it is accurate. Counting calories burned against calories consumed means I can eat more during the day than I would be able to if I didn't work out, but I think those inaccuracies are working against me.

So, for the next few weeks I have lowered my calorie goals and am going to exclude my workout calories burned. I am shooting for a total of 1600 calories consumed, regardless whether I work out or not. Not counting the roughly 2000 calories burned during workouts should give me some extra working space.

And I have to get my Friday evening/Saturday intake under control.

*Frustrated*

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-01 at 13:38.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-03-01, 13:15

I was doing a Peloton competition with my bourbon club for the month of February and I ended up dropping 13.4lbs weighing in at 193.8lbs. My lowest weight in over 20 years. I managed to ride 541.43 miles and 1565 minutes on the bike for the month.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-01, 13:27

So here is a question: What is your body fat doing and are you measuring it?

What I've noticed for myself is that my fat % is dropping while my weight plateaus at times. Currently I'm in the mid-170s which is amazing. However, my weight is inching up while my muscle weight is going up and my body fat is going down.

Remember that video you linked to where he talked about intermittent fasting? It worked well for me and Mrs T. We did two weeks of M/W/F 500 calorie days and we burned more fat the steady decline we had at 1700 calories. We are back to just 1700 calories for me and I forgot what hers is, 1200 I think (she's smaller than me).

I also figured out that I have to limit my food to 1700 no matter how much Lose It says I have available to consume. If I had a major workout day it would give me bonus calories and I would spend them. I have to pay attention to the actual consumption and not "available" to keep on track.

Other than my weight going down and body fat I can now see veins in my upper arms! There is a distinct difference between my biceps and deltoid! This new look has me realizing I'm not really after a goal weight like I thought I was, I'm after body fat %.

I thought I wanted to weight 165. Really though, I want to be around the 10-15% body fat line. I thought it was 10% until I realized that is way more cut than I want to be. This Men's Health article kinda shows me where I really want to be.
Quote:
According to the American Council on Exercise, the average for a guy is 18% to 24% body fat; 15% to 17% body fat puts you in the fitness category, while 6% to 13% body fat is athlete status.
I just hit 23% today so it isn't surprising (in light of the article) that I can finally see a different in my upper arms. Looking at their sample images, I'm more wanting to be like the 9-13% guy. This means my weight is going to be more dependent on my muscle mass than fat mass at that point. So I'm going to be less focused on weight and more on body fat going forward I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I was doing a Peloton competition with my bourbon club for the month of February and I ended up dropping 13.4lbs weighing in at 193.8lbs. My lowest weight in over 20 years. I managed to ride 541.43 miles and 1565 minutes on the bike for the month.
Dude! You are killing it! Keep it up!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-01, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Great job, Yontsey! Keep it up.

Quote:
So here is a question: What is your body fat doing and are you measuring it?
I've never actually measured it, but am currently web-searching for the how-to's. Thanks.

Edit: Some online calculator thingy says I'm just shy of 20%, which apparently means I'm average for my age. Since I didn't do this from the very beginning, I have no idea what it means. Regardless, the gut is still "hanging out".

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-01 at 13:59.