Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The amazing honda ad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The amazing honda ad
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-05, 21:25

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/honda-ad.html

pimp that volkswagon.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-05, 21:29

This is older than the dirt collecting on my old pile of dirt.

Cool but OLLDD>>>1!
babelfish

2006-03-05, 21:31

This advert actually came on before a movie I was about to watch at the cinema....I couldn't concentrate on the movie lol.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-05, 21:31

Old but good.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-05, 23:46

Can't be that old... there's a turn signal on the sideview mirror. Never seen that before, probably because it's from England? Pretty cool.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-06, 00:08

I remember seeing that when I was a senior in high school. So it's at least four years old.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-06, 00:13

Seen it - but still enjoy it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-03-06, 00:23

I think the ad comes from 2003, when Honda released the latest generation of Accord.

However, I when I do the research there hasn't been an Accord Wagon in the states since '97. Although I can't make sense of it really, since the car in the commercial has right hand seated steering wheel, but speaks in American English....

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2006-03-06 at 00:29.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-03-06, 00:34

Yeah, I think I remember it being posted here or at AI.com a while back. eBaumsworld has a misleading statement about it, though. It's actually two takes, merged together while the muffler is rolling on the floor. Supposedly the area the British crew was filming it in wasn't large enough to do it all in one swing.

If you look at the floorboards in a high quality version, you can see the merge. It's pretty smooth, though.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-03-06, 00:52

Ahh, thats a nice tid-bit.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2006-03-06, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Can't be that old... there's a turn signal on the sideview mirror. Never seen that before, probably because it's from England? Pretty cool.
Mercedes had this for several years. I drove a 2000 E-class which had them, and it wasn't the first model.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-03-06, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter
Mercedes had this for several years. I drove a 2000 E-class which had them, and it wasn't the first model.
Indeed...
¡Damned!

2006-03-06, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
Yeah, I think I remember it being posted here or at AI.com a while back. eBaumsworld has a misleading statement about it, though. It's actually two takes, merged together while the muffler is rolling on the floor. Supposedly the area the British crew was filming it in wasn't large enough to do it all in one swing.

If you look at the floorboards in a high quality version, you can see the merge. It's pretty smooth, though.
I'd never heard that. I always thought it was just one take.

This
seems to support that, but I'd be open to any other linkage you might have.

So it goes.
Majost

2006-03-06, 01:24

Here you go 709: http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp

Pretty much everything you would want to know about the ad.

Some select tidbits:
  • It was released in the UK on April 6, 2003
  • The voice in the ad is from Garrison Keillor (explains American accent)
  • The ad was created without special effects. It was split into two continuous takes only because no studio was big enough to accommodate the entire sequence. The only post-production trickery is the lighting on the car doors at the end.
  • Filming was done over four near-sleepless days in a Paris studio, after one month of script approval, two months of concept drawings and a further four months of development and testing.
  • Two hand-made pre-production Accords — there were only six in existence in the entire world — were needed for the exercise, one of them being ripped apart and cannibalised to the considerable distress of Honda engineers.

Edit: Another quote on that page (from The Guardian) states:
Quote:
The sequence of events in the advert is actually split into two shots — shooting the whole thing in one go would have been too expensive. "It was a damage limitation idea to snip it into two [parts]," says Rob Steiner, head of television at Wieden & Kennedy, the agency responsible for the advert. (Still not found the join? The first section ends and the second one begins at the one minute mark when an exhaust box rolls off to the right of the screen. Some clever editing bridges the two parts.)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-06, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I remember seeing that when I was a senior in high school. So it's at least four years old.
Guess I was wrong. I remember seeing something like that in high school, but I guess I didn't see this until I already graduated (June 2002).
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-03-06, 07:52

The Cog ad was brilliant... more info about it here... 606 takes.

Originally inspired by a 1987 German documentary called Der Lauf Der Dinge (The Way Things Go)... 30 minutes of similar kinetic art

As for the latest piece of advertising awesomeness (at least here in the UK, you're preaching to the choir

Flash site, yea, but it does have the full length "choir" ad and a complete 'making of' documentary... both available as podcasts.

Honda's had a great run of memorable advertising... good agency.

This latest one will also win a bunch of awards.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-03-06, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Guess I was wrong. I remember seeing something like that in high school, but I guess I didn't see this until I already graduated (June 2002).
What Luca meant was it did come out when I was in high school!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-06, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter
Yes but this is a Honda. Honda's have not had signals on the mirrors for years and years AFAIK. At least, not the ones I've seen. But the larger point was this isn't an American commercial (which for me anyway, is why I never saw it). The driver's seat is on the right side of the vehicle. And I've not see an Accord wagon like that anywhere in the states (different models for different continents).

...into the light of a dark black night.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-03-06, 14:28

There's another Honda ad out there with a mustachioed guy singing "To Dream The Impossible Dream" while riding & driving a succession of mopeds, motorcycles, early Honda cars, race bikes, F1 Hondas, a race boat, etc. Motivation for us Honda geeks.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-06, 14:39

Gotta love Honda. If they can make a commercial like that, think about what they can do with their vehicles.

From what I understand, the vehicle is a European Accord, similar to the American version of the Acura TSX...at least in its current form.

Does anyone know where to find a better quality version of this ad? I had a link to it, but it's now dead.

Edit: After watching the ad again, it's exactly what I thought. Take a look at that picture I linked and than watch the Ad, virtually the same vehicle, the interior is very similar too. The TSX has signals on the mirrors too.

Come waste your time with me
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-06, 16:03

The one that BarracksSi is referring to is viewable here in high quality. It's probably my favourite ad of last year (came out on December 5th).

Please, please, please pause it and let it load fully before watching it! (I can't stand that these websites allow people to destroy their viewing experience by watching videos in starts and stops.) It's an incredibly provocative ad, very typical of London ad agency Wieden+Kennedy. I think it does manage to capture something of the Honda spirit.

To be honest, anything done by Wieden+Kennedy is brilliant. Their diesel engine ad won Best TV Commercial of the Year at the BTAA awards in 2005. It's available here in QuickTime format.
Majost

2006-03-06, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
The one that BarracksSi is referring to is viewable here in high quality. It's probably my favourite ad of last year (came out on December 5th)

Their diesel engine ad won Best TV Commercial of the Year at the BTAA awards in 2005. It's available here in QuickTime format.
Those both had Garrison Keillor, too. That ad agency must really like him (of course, who doesn't?).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-06, 20:15

I love the quirky "Engrish" marketing Honda has been using for the U.S. release of the Fit.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/index.aspx

The "quirk appeal" is suckering me into wanting one - not that it would be a bad car to be suckered into. Gotta love the Great Subcompact Boom of 2007.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
amspimpwagon

2006-03-06, 23:21

I was about to correct about a thousand wrong statments made about cars, and then I remember this is an Apple message board...
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-03-06, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I love the quirky "Engrish" marketing Honda has been using for the U.S. release of the Fit.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/index.aspx

The "quirk appeal" is suckering me into wanting one - not that it would be a bad car to be suckered into. Gotta love the Great Subcompact Boom of 2007.
It's about time Honda took back the entry-level segment. Once we saw what the new Civic turned out to be, you could tell that there was now room for them to bring over one of their lower-priced Japanese-market cars.

If I didn't already have my '02 Civic hatch, I'd probably get a Fit.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-07, 09:38

The ad I mentioned earlier is a curiously accurate portrayal of Soichiro Honda's life story, including such nice details as:

- the seagull feeding her young, symbolising Honda's dream in its infancy

- Honda living in a caravan by the sea, representing his feeling of alienation and being an outsider (to dream the impossible dream)

- two seagulls on the rock: Honda and Takeo Fujisawan

- dogs chasing him and barking: symbolising the Ministry of International Trade and Industry in Japan, which was hostile to Honda in its early days, the gakubatsu (academic clique), and the zaibatsu (industry conglomerate consisting primarily of Mitsubishi, Mitsui, Sumitomo, Yasuda and Nissan), all of which gave the young Honda company a rough time (to fight the unbeatable foe)

- flock of sheep running (herd mentality), while Honda takes his own path (to run where the brave dare not go)

- a line of significant Honda machines, each with an impossible dream behind it, as the company develops and becomes increasingly ambitious (to reach the unreachable star/this is my quest)

- the powerboat going over the waterfall: the death of Mr Soichiro Honda

- a pause in the music, with the following lyrics missing:
That my heart will be peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest
And the world will be better for this,
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage.

The balloon rising from the mist: despite Honda's death, his dreams live on in the form of his company

Legendary London post-production house The Mill is responsible for the dozens of seagulls in the ad, and put Simon Day's singing face on the powerboat, racing car, etc., as well as many other details.

Honda is unique among car companies. It has a strong Japanese work ethos with a European-like flair for style and an American-like enthusiasm for taking risks. I'm very happy to see it doing so well of late. Very refreshing when compared to lifeless trainwrecks like Ford, Toyota, all the GM subsidiaries (especially the British ones like Vauxhall), etc.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-07, 10:05

Pull yourself together Dorian Gray.

BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-03-07, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
The ad I mentioned earlier is a curiously accurate portrayal of Soichiro Honda's life story, including such nice details as:
Man, that's cool. I'm going to show it to a couple of the guys here -- they'll appreciate it.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-07, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
Pull yourself together Dorian Gray.
What can I say, I'm hopelessly sentimental sometimes! Not to mention a complete sucker for good adverts. But I'm not responsible for noticing those details: I read that somewhere, possibly on the W+K site though I can't find it now.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-03-07, 20:31

Ah, found some more about that Impossible Dream ad --

http://tvadverts.blogspot.com/2005/1...ble-dream.html
http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=27945
http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...eam-142433.php

Good info:
http://www.adverblog.com/archives/002220.htm
http://wklondon.typepad.com/welcome_..._meaning_.html

Still checking around for a free downloadable version (besides the Flash one that I've got).