Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Rogers bringing iPhone to Canada

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rogers bringing iPhone to Canada
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 08:21

Canada's finally getting the iPhone: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/419503

No pricing or launch details yet. I would bet they'll start with the new model in June. (Yes, I know it's not official, but I think we all know it's coming.)
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 08:36

I'll be interested in pricing. Generally, our cell-phone rates are higher in Canada than elsewhere - and our data plan rates are outrageous. Will Apple be able to negotiate something better?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 09:25

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Canada will finally see reasonable data rates. If they stick to the current rate of like $300 per MB I don't think Apple will have much success with the iPhone here. If it's reasonable I'll likely switch to Rogers once my current contract is up.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-04-29, 11:00

At last! Freakin' Rogers.

They better fix the data rates, though, as you say.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 11:04

Rogers get a lot of stick, and they might deserve it, but how are they supposed to give good cellular network coverage to a mere 33 million people spread across the second-largest country in the world?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-29, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Rogers get a lot of stick, and they might deserve it, but how are they supposed to give good cellular network coverage to a mere 33 million people spread across the second-largest country in the world?
By charging through the nose for it? At the prices they charge, I think Canadians have the right to demand a quality network.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-04-29, 13:16

Yup, they do charge through the roof, so considering that, we should get better coverage. I use Pay as you go, so iPhone is out of the question, but it will be nice to see "legal" iPhones in use. Right now it costs about $45 + service fees, a month for 1000 minutes, or something along those lines, just for a basic plan (which is why I use Pay as you go).
Frank777
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Don't drink that Kool Aid. 75% of those 33 million people live within 100 miles of the U.S. border.
The service costs are nowhere near as out-of-line as the carriers would have you believe.

The reason Rogers is anxious to announce the iPhone now (rather than give into Apple demands last year) is that there is a new wireless player launching with GSM service in the next year and both Bell and Rogers are scrambling to ensure they don't lose too much business to the new upstart.

Competition is a good thing.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 14:37

This story ties Rogers' iPhone announcement specifically to the wireless spectrum sale in Canada. It suggests that Rogers had to make a deal now, or to risk losing out.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...ch-iphone.html

I must say that when the wireless spectrum sale was announced, I had visions of Apple making a bid on it, and on the U.S. sale as well. There had been suggestions that one of SJ's preoccupations is to upset the wireless apple cart (no pun intended). I suppose that the deal he negotiated with AT&T does that, to some extent. But think how much better it could be if Apple controlled things directly. I've got to think that Apple at least considered it, albeit without biting for now.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Boomerangmacuser

2008-04-30, 11:54

Rogers canada announced a $20 data plan. This ought to make it affordable to have (and use) an iPhone. Linky
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-04-30, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerangmacuser View Post
Rogers canada announced a $20 data plan. This ought to make it affordable to have (and use) an iPhone. Linky
Well...we'll have to wait and see if this plan applies to the iPhone. Currently it has the following restrictions:

* Plan includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing only. Plan is available on select phones only (PDAs such as Blackberry or Windows Mobile devices, PC cards and non-Rogers certified devices are not eligible). Data usage incurred on ineligible devices, incurred while tethering (using device as wireless modem for laptop) or incurred using non-Rogers (3rd party) applications downloaded to your device will be subject to pay-per-use charges of 5 cents/KB.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2008-04-30, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Well...we'll have to wait and see if this plan applies to the iPhone...
Even then, one will have to check the fine print to see what Rogers' definition of 'unlimited' is.