The applenova folding team!
Page 5 of 62 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-09-14, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Heh.

Actually, I feel threatened by the seven processors that he has at his disposal.

I'll be getting a dual 2.5Ghz G5 soon - that will definitely help me and the team, but I'm also thinking about building a dedicated folding box to free up my other machines.
heh...i just unwrapped a dual 2.0ghz G5 :smokey: is that 8 or 9 procys? gotta read up on how to use bof'um.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-09-14, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Did you feel threatened by his smily face? You know what they say about people who smile too often....

<----evil maniacal smile
yes but what do they say about those who use rolls eyes smilies to often hmm...
¡Damned!

2004-09-14, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
yes but what do they say about those who use rolls eyes smilies to often hmm...
The same thing they say about those who don't use any capitalization or punctuation...

Quagmire
meh

2004-09-14, 19:52

Ok, I have a few questions.

1. Will it reduce the life of my pbooks CPU?

2. If I choose to download which client should I do?(grpahical client. screensaver, or text console)

3. Alcimedes, by what you meant by not running pbook at 100%, did you mean not running it 24/7?

4. Just for clarification I can run it whenever I want right?

giggity
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-09-14, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
THank Gargoyle, he wrote the Mambo module and associated scripts to collect and display team data on the front end

and the letters are all black, I don't know how you can't see them. I run a 1600x1024 resolution on a 17" widescreen display and I can read them fine... without my glasses.
Ah sorry. the letters appeared a very light yellow on a white background for me. I guess that problem was on my end.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-09-15, 03:25

Eeeuhhhh, yellow on white!!! I can understand the question now.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-15, 04:22

I joined up - but I only have a lowly Ti550 so this could take a while.

btw - what happens if I want to take my PB with me to Uni - disconnecting from the 'net. Will this be OK?

TIA.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-15, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
1. Will it reduce the life of my pbooks CPU?
My guess is yes, but minimal. I would say you are more likely to do damage by moving your PB around the place....

Quote:
2. If I choose to download which client should I do?(grpahical client. screensaver, or text console)
I have the graphical client going - this runs constantly so will ge the best folding results. It may however slow you down slightly, and I mean slightly as CPU cycles are reallocated. Screensaver will mean it will only run when you are definately doing nothing on your machine. Use the console if you are terminal whizz.

Quote:
3. Alcimedes, by what you meant by not running pbook at 100%, did you mean not running it 24/7?
I am guessing he meant that you can (I think) set it so that the machine will not use all the available CPU, and will leave some "spare". This will help reduce the amount of heat.

Quote:
4. Just for clarification I can run it whenever I want right?
The moment you sleep folding stops. You can quit folding and it will revert to its last save point. You can set this from between 3-30mins in the preferences. If I know I am going to shutdown my machine I wait for a milestone before shutting down (especially if the WU's are large)

Join the "team", you know you want to!

DISCLAIMER: All the above could be complete arse. No effort has been made to ensure it is true. Use the advice at your own risk!

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-15, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
what happens if I want to take my PB with me to Uni - disconnecting from the 'net. Will this be OK?
It only needs to connect to send and receive WU's. I have got my 667 folding and it is rarely connected while at work.

I am not sure what happens if it is not connected. Whether it keeps on trying until a connection is made, or stops after 'x' amount of attempts not sure. My guess is the former. If the later I would assume that a simple restart of the folding app will get to try again.

The amount of time it will take will be determined by the protein type (tinkers are bad for macs) and by the size. You can find out how much each WU is worth in the website. I am taking between 1-3 days on average.

ps Read my disclaimer above

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-15, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy_71
heh...i just unwrapped a dual 2.0ghz G5 :smokey: is that 8 or 9 procys? gotta read up on how to use bof'um.
Damn you!
Congrats on your new machine.

You can use InFold or InCrease to help your dualie fold faster.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-15, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Damn you!

Closing in on top 2500......
cudaboy_71

2004-09-15, 15:34

Quote:
Damn you!
Congrats on your new machine.

You can use InFold or InCrease to help your dualie fold faster
thanks. but, one of those is a dead link (at least when i tried), and the other is only a monitor.

i dug around a bit, and running the CLI isnt difficult at all...just not as simple as doubleclicking an icon :/

s/b at 10 processors now....heheh
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-15, 15:50

Oh, what the heck... I guess it doesn't show good "team spirit" if I'm not reporting units for AppleNova. I'll click mine over to team 39160 in a bit.

I'll just be using my old Dual 500, though. I'm not going to be using my new PowerBook for this just yet except maybe for the few hours of the day that I'm plugged in at home.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-15, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy_71
one of those is a dead link (at least when i tried), and the other is only a monitor.

i dug around a bit, and running the CLI isnt difficult at all...just not as simple as doubleclicking an icon :/
The link still isn't working; so, I've zipped up the version of InCrease that I had installed on my Mac. It's a little old at 1.0.1, but it certainly gets the job done regardless.

*snip*
See next post!

I would strongly advise using InCrease over the CLI version because it makes the folding processes much easier to configure and automatically starts up a second instance to take advantage of multiple CPUs.

Here's a reminder of the step-by-step process:
  • Launch InCrease. It'll say it's not properly installed yet.
  • Click the Install button in the toolbar.
  • Once it's installed the folding module, click Preferences. Set any options you want under the InCrease tab. Click the Clients tab, and change your name and team number. Click Apply Now and Close.
  • Quit and relaunch InCrease (the team change doesn't appear to take immediate effect).
  • Start folding!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-15, 16:36

Thanks to our good member Omega, the latest version of InCrease is available here:

http://www.applenova.com/InCrease_v1.2.2.zip

Thanks, Big O!
cudaboy_71

2004-09-15, 22:14

muchas gracias.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-17, 09:23

Hey, under the Preferences, if you select "Standard" does that mean you're getting the wimpy proteins all the time? My WU are jumping up but my points are not. Should I do "no preference" with the G5?

Also, I assume the polygon count thing and the checkpoint frequency have nothing to do with the WU that are downloaded, only how they're displayed, right?

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-09-17, 09:57

anybody have the previous version of increase...my iMac FP screen is locking at sleep now and i think it may be the new version of increase (or something else that i am stupidly doing)

thought i would revert to the old version and see if i have any problems

thanks

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
¡Damned!

2004-09-17, 10:33

g -

All previous versions of Increase are here (the author's website).

[edit] Well, they would be there if his site was working... I've got v1.0 backed up if you want to try it. PMe.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-17, 11:08

When I get home this afternoon, I'll see if I still have the 1.0.1 version on hand and will post it if so.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-17, 14:03

This is retarded. I've gotten like 60 pts for my last 3 proteins. lol
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-17, 15:48

We also have a few new members.....

Welcome johnd and autodata

xionja

2004-09-18, 12:14

haha, I tried to set up another computer using my screen name for the team, but it created another xionja . . . now i can pit my two computers against eachother
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-19, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
anybody have the previous version of increase...
As promised, albeit a little late, here's the older 1.0.1 version:

http://www.applenova.com/InCrease_v1.0.1.zip
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-19, 16:57

Ok, I have my Pmac G4 at 400Mhz( this is going to take forever to fold 1 protein) folding. On the 2nd box below the spacefilled box with options, it says,"Benchmarking..."What does that mean? As soon as I open the program it starts folding right? The only thing I have to do is enter team number and my name right?

giggity
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 17:22

Benchmarking occurs when you first start folding. It is normal. After awhile it will start "folding".

And yes, name and number is all you have to do - unless you want to also put it in your start-up items......

Closing in on top 2000 teams....and murbot you WILL be my bitch mawhahaha!

EmC

2004-09-20, 11:09

Congrats to NosferaDrew, on 100+ WU, AND we broke into the top 2000. Woot.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-20, 14:12

Thanks and Yay me!

Looks like the stats differ between ExtremeOverclocking (we're #1884) and F@H (#1914).

Interesting.
EmC

2004-09-20, 14:55

That first site is great, they have a lot of extra info there. I like being able to see how we are moving in the rankings. Apparently we have moved up 106 spots in 24 hrs.

[cartman] Pretty sweet you guys.[/cartman]

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-20, 15:17

Yeah, I am offically folding. But, I have to scream at my Pmac. 4% complete after 2 days. You slow piece of G4(strokes G5 that will replace it hopefully next year).

giggity