User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Possible Republican presidential candidates for 2008

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Choose *one* candidate as the best Republican nominee.
Mike Huckabee 0 0%
Ron Paul 0 0%
Rudy Giuliani 0 0%
Fred Thompson 0 0%
Senator John McCain 0 0%
Governor Mitt Romney 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Possible Republican presidential candidates for 2008
Page 1 of 10 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 18:03

Okay, let me just say right now that I have been a registered Democrat since I first signed up to vote. However, I plan to switch to Independent after this election.

I am interested in finding out information about people that *you* consider good candidates for the Democratic and Republican nominations. Obviously, Moogs seems highly impressed with Obama.

I know most of you probably tend to be more liberal than anything, but since I'm seeking info about possible candidates on both sides of the aisle, I thought I'd start with Republicans first. Wiki has a list of 'possibles' that I thought I'd post.

If you know of concrete information about the good or not so good qualities of any of these, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

I do so hope that we can have this discussion in a reasonable adult manner, with no name-calling directed either at candidates or AN members posting their thoughts.

I am *completely* disenchanted with both parties, and would like to see some altogether new person in office. So if you know of someone like that in your state, please mention them, whether they are a politician, a business leader, an academic, etc.

No matter what your political affiliation, if you had to choose one of these as the Republican candidate, whom would you choose, and why? Poll up in a few minutes.

Thanks for any replies.

Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
(No longer running.)

Newt Gingrich

* Newt Gingrich, born June 17, 1943 in Pennsylvania, former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and former U.S. Representative from Georgia. According to the Associated Press, "The former House speaker who led Republicans to power a decade ago said he soon will visit Iowa and New Hampshire to promote his book, try to influence public policy and keep his political options alive."

Rudy Giuliani

* Rudy Giuliani, born May 28, 1944 in New York, former mayor of New York City. Has stated on October 2 2005, that he will look at the possibility of running for President. He has led several state and nationwide polls for the Republican nomination and the general election, and has been mentioned by many media sources as a possible candidate since the 9/11 attacks and a speech to the 2004 Republican Convention. ([6], see polls below) Giuliani is, however, pro-choice and pro gay rights, which might hurt him in the primaries against a strong pro-life and anti-Gay marriage candidate. He is now considered the front runner in a wide range of opinion polls.

Senator Chuck Hagel

* Chuck Hagel, born October 4, 1946 in Nebraska, US Senator from that state. In August 2004, Hagel acknowledged that he is considering a presidential campaign in 2008. He spoke to the Iowa delegation at the 2004 Republican National Convention. There are a number of Draft Hagel blogs online, in addition to multiple groups. However, despite being a fairly conservative Republican, he will face challenges from some elements of the party faithful due to his criticism of President Bush over the war in Iraq.

Senator John McCain

* John McCain, born August 29, 1936 in the US-controlled Panama Canal Zone, Senator from Arizona. Often characterized as a Republican maverick in the Senate, he is a well-known political figure in the United States. His willingness to bipartisan compromise on judicial nominations and his strong support of campaign finance reform have drawn the ire of conservative groups, many of which have vowed to work against any McCain campaigns for the Republican nomination in 2008.

Governor Mitt Romney

* Mitt Romney, born March 12, 1947 in Michigan is the Governor of Massachusetts. Romney is not seeking a second term as Governor and has made several trips to swing states such as South Carolina, Michigan, and Pennsylvania during recent years. Romney has been pointing out his long held conservative views to appeal to conservatives for a future nomination. Romney's accomplishments as co-founder of Bain Capital, the CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympics, and as Governor of Massachusetts give him strong bipartisan appeal. Romney's plan to ensure every citizen in Massachusetts with private, market based insurance has also earned him bipartisan praise. The Bay State has a reputation as a bastion of liberalism although Republicans have held the governorship ever since Bill Weld succeeded Michael Dukakis in 1990. But even so, being from Massachusetts should not be a problem for Romney in the GOP primary race whose charisma has garned bipartisan support regardless of his conservativism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potenti...ntial_election

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-02-01 at 17:32. Reason: Added wiki link.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-19, 18:05

I'm rooting for McCain, but I don't think he has a chance this time any more than in 2000. Which sucks. (Oh if only things had been different that year...)

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 18:25

Well, I used to like McCain, but he's gotten kind of weird lately.

Seems like he's starting to modify his opinions to offend the fewest possible voters, rather than taking a firm stand on various issues.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

If it has to be a Republican, I would want McCain.

faramirtook
A for effort.

McCain. That's what I can see as logical.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 18:46

I'm kind of interested in finding out more about this Mitt Romney guy. He seemed to do a good job on the 2002 Olympics, which needed massive amounts of security, coming not too long after 9/11.

Plus, Mass. is as liberal a state as they come. I wonder why they keep electing Republican governors?

He plans to insure every citizen in Mass... for real, not just in theory. I'm pretty impressed that he can get bipartisan support in a state like Mass.

Sounds like an interesting guy to me.

Quote:
. Romney's accomplishments as co-founder of Bain Capital, the CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympics, and as Governor of Massachusetts give him strong bipartisan appeal. Romney's plan to ensure every citizen in Massachusetts with private, market based insurance has also earned him bipartisan praise. The Bay State has a reputation as a bastion of liberalism although Republicans have held the governorship ever since ...1990. But even so, being from Massachusetts should not be a problem for Romney in the GOP primary race whose charisma has garned bipartisan support regardless of his conservativism.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-10-20 at 04:56.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 18:53

Rudy Giuliani seemed to do a great job of cleaning up New York City.

But then people started to become disenchanted with him.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me about why he started to fall out of favor.

I'd be *very* interested to know if their feelings were justified, or if they just didn't like it when their area of interest got infringed upon by the mayor's policies.

What did he do that turned people against him?

Were they being fair, or just self-interested?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 19:00

Bill Frist seems like a cold fish to me.

He has the same cold demeanor as my endodontist... who gives me shivers.

I get the impression that he thinks that just because he's a surgeon, he'd be qualified to do *anything* in the entire world, and do it better than anyone else.

Imo, he doesn't seem 'human' enough to be president.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-10-19, 19:02

I'd consider voting for Guliani or Hagel depending on how they perform in debates / where they stand, and on who the Dems put in there. If it's Hillary all bets are off and I'll consider all candidates including independents. Maybe Forbes will run again.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 19:02

Whoa!

Five votes for Giuliani.

Very interesting.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-19, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I'd be *very* interested to know if their feelings were justified, or if they just didn't like it when their area of interest got infringed upon by the mayor's policies.
Bingo.

It's much like Bloomberg today. New Yorkers love you if you are cleaning up the dirt around them but the minute you try to clean up their own dirt they hate you.

Guillianni took New York forward, cleaned it up, and returned it to its status as one of the best cities in the world.

Bloomber has continued that although with some significant differences.

The thing I fear about Guillianni is that I have a feeling there can be dirt dug up on him. Especially after his Police Commissioner's problems with corruption that have surfaced in the last few years.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-10-19, 19:06

Where's Condi?

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
The thing I fear about Guillianni is that I have a feeling there can be dirt dug up on him. Especially after his Police Commissioner's problems with corruption that have surfaced in the last few years.
Oh dear.

That would be 'so' unfortunate.

Is this stuff that is whispered about, and that people 'suspect' might be true, but there has been no invesigation yet, or what?

Do you expect that an investigation is going to happen anyway, or only if he runs for president?

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Where's Condi?
Oops! Damn.

I just added her.

If there is anyone who would have voted for her instead, I can change your vote. Just let me know.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-10-19, 19:22

Quote:
Oh dear.

That would be 'so' unfortunate.

Is this stuff that is whispered about, and that people 'suspect' might be true, but there has been no invesigation yet, or what?

Do you expect that an investigation is going to happen anyway, or only if he runs for president?
Well, I mean... with the police commissioner's problems being so bad, and Guillianni having such a close relationship with him (he went on to found a security consulting firm with Rudy after his terms were up) it just makes me concerned that he may have some secrets as well. And those type of things always seem to be dug up come election time.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-19, 20:05

Rudy's great, but nobody is going to vote a Mayor in as President. (watch 8 people prove me wrong-o!!)
It bucks the established hierarchy too much, it's like letting a gibbon become the leader of the baboon troupe (an analogy fitting for politics btw). I don't care what anyone argues, Rudy will not graduate to President.

John McCain's been the head-smacking I-shoulda-voted-McCain candidate for the Democrats since he lost. Politics of parties change slowly but politicians can change faster.

McCain's changes seem to fly in the face of who he was when he ran, but the world has changed a lot and he's privy to a lot more information than he was before.

When the race begins in earnest we'll see what he's made of. He's on my list of possibilities.

Newt is a very smart man, but he's probably still poison to the party. Stink don't wash off easily.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-19, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Newt is a very smart man, but he's probably still poison to the party. Stink don't wash off easily.
Agreed - I kinda hate to say this, because I feel a bit dirty, but Gingrich in a Rove-like advisory capacity behind the scenes and away from the press would probably be his best use. He *is* intelligent, but he's not going to be frontman material.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-10-19, 20:23

Frist, Gingrich and Condi are all scum of the earth. Especially Condi.

I think McCain is the only one I might actually consider voting for. I don't know enough about Giuliani, Hagel, or Romney.

hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-10-19, 20:23

Would Rudy even be interestred in running? Gulliani Partners has been such a rocketship of success that it would be a tough choice. IIRC they were bringing in almost 1.8 million an employees. Did they ever close on Ernst and Young's venture capaitol arm? He could always sell his interest in GP, all I am saying is he has a very interesting job.

Further, does this country vote for a man who had cancer? It is a very scary word and we don't like real or perceived weakness.

John McCain seems the logical choice. He had a huge wave of support (before South Carolina?) in 2000, has great name recognition and is a war hero. The good news is I don't see anyone I really don't like in the likely list for either side.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-10-19, 20:46

Quote:
I'm kind of interested in finding out more about this Mitt Romney guy. He seemed to do a good job on the 2002 Olympics, which needed massive amounts of security, coming not too long after 9/11.

Plus, Mass. is as liberal a state as they come. I wonder why they keep electing Republican governors?

He plans to ensure every citizen in Mass... for real, not just in theory. I'm pretty impressed that he can get bipartisan support in a state like Mass.

Sounds like an interesting guy to me.
Mitt Romney is the man. He turned my home state around. I wish he could win in the primaries but he can't, the GOP will never choose a mormon.

And it's too bad to, because he would be GREAT president.

First, and foremost, he balanced our fucking budget! We went from a 3 billion defecit in 2002 to a 500 million surplus in 2005. That alone should get this guy in, because the national debt is obscene.

You see, Romney's background is in Business, not Law. He looks at government like its business: carefully weighing the pros and cons of any situation, and then makes a decision that is best in the long term. Sometimes this means we suffer in the short term - in MA, we are spending less on education (hell, we're spending less on everything) which rose hell with all the liberal teachers. "Hes a republican hick who doesn't value education" is an example of the ignorance I heard from my teachers when he was elected. Well, news flash, money has to come from somewhere. This is something that politicians don't seem to understand these days. Most democrats sure don't, and neither does Dubya. It's a shame.

Unfortunately, he's a little off on the social policies: pro-life, anti-same-sex marrage. But I mean, thats no different than any other republican these days. You know, the biggest thing for me on why we should go with pro-choice is that exactly 18 years after Roe v. Wade was settled, the crime rate in inner cities plummeted. You know why? Its because parents who didn't want children, and who were incabable of raising productive members of society, were no longer having children. I mean, it just makes sense. If someone doesn't want to have a child, odds are, they will raise the child poorly, which helps no one.

Again, same-sex marriage. Why the fuck not? I honestly don't understand why gays and lesbians getting married damages straight marrage in any way, shape or form. Fine, dont agree with it. It freaks me out a little myself. But don't impose your own value structure on others. It's just not right.

Anyways, Carol, the reason we keep electing republican governors is because they actually know what to do with the money that Ted Kennedy gets for us . The democrat governors (and so did Swift, she was awful) we had way back in the day would spend it willy-nilly, it was really a mess. But you're right, it is strange. We send democrats to Washington and keep the republicans to ourselves.

Ugh, I really just don't like the state of politics these days. I am split on most issues, right down the middle. The democratic party just can't get it's shit together, but the republican party is a walking contradiciton.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
...he's not going to be frontman material.
Is it his chubby cheeks that offend?

billybobsky
BANNED

2006-10-19, 21:26

McCain is too old.

Romney too liberal, and no, government isn't a business. It has aspects of business, but it isn't a business.

Guilliani has the charisma of Steve Forbes, remember him?

Newt's life is far too well known.

Bill Frist and Condi are obviously jokes.

I know nothing of Hagel...

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-19, 21:27

I'd say John McCain, though I have some reservations, seeing how derelict he has been as a Board of Trustee for an university that's going into three weeks of protest and campus-wide lockdown.

I'm giving him benefit of doubt, though I can't imagine why he hasn't done anything about it for several months, considering how he talk about civil rights.

The rest, I either don't like or don't know well enough.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-10-19, 21:28

eh, once mccain pretended to vote against torture and then did vote for torture i just lost all respect for him...he had my sympathy after bush screwed him in south carolina, but he sucked up to W and then oked W torturing people...and he should know better...

that and what he said about chelsea clinton when she was just a kid...that was awful...you never tear down a teenage girl like that...now he did later apoligize to clinton, and i don't know what happened at the face to face meeting...i do know that if he had said that about my 17 year old daughter, i would have punched him right in the face...thank you for the apoligy, now here's a bag of ice to put on your eye and if i ever see you again i will punch you a second time...i would never forgive him for that, but being a father of daughters makes you protective like that

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2006-10-19 at 21:55.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-19, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post

Anyways, Carol, the reason we keep electing republican governors is because they actually know what to do with the money that Ted Kennedy gets for us . The democrat governors (and so did Swift, she was awful) we had way back in the day would spend it willy-nilly, it was really a mess. But you're right, it is strange. We send democrats to Washington and keep the republicans to ourselves.
Thanks for your explanations. I guess I had forgotten about the fact that he's a Mormon. But his religion doesn't seem to have affected his ability to be a good governor. And he seemed to run the Olympics like clockwork. Still, there's a lot of difference between balancing a budget and dealing with international policy matters.

Quote:
Ugh, I really just don't like the state of politics these days. I am split on most issues, right down the middle. The democratic party just can't get it's shit together, but the republican party is a walking contradiciton.
The only problem with voting the Republicans out is that we'll vote the Democrats in. Ugh.

I want a whole new kind of person who has views on both sides of the spectrum, who says exactly what he thinks, and who is funded by millions of small contributions from the internet, and is therefore not weighed under by obligations to special interests.

God, I do SO very much hate the special interests. Their greed just poisons our whole system.

If we could come up with our own candidate, funded by small contributions from millions of people via the internet, we could break this political logjam where not much ever gets done for our country and its people.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-10-19, 22:25

I shudder to even think of it, but weren't the Elephants all gung-ho over getting Jeb in there for a shot in '08 at one time? What happened to that guy to make him drop off the face of the earth? Oh yah, he'd have to overcome his brother's reputation... sorry. Forgot about that.

...into the light of a dark black night.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-19, 23:01

Smart money is telling the Bush family to take a pass on a "few" elections. I'd put that number somewhere around 4. Gingrich is no more of a "scum" than any of the players of his era, read up on the whole bunch. He was, however, one of the instrumental people in the ever-widening divide between the Dems and Reps, a rift that traces its roots at least back as far as Nixon's ouster from office.

They played HARD in Gingrich's time, but his initial push was filled with idealism. That's the reason I'm not going to burden Mr. Obama with any of my hopes, ideals are sketches of desires and the weight of expectation has wrecked many a bright young leader. Big change in our government is going to require big changes in our culture, and so far I'm not all that keen on the direction that the either polarity is suggesting.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-10-19, 23:24

I voted Condi because I'm Canadian so my opinion on who you nutty Yanks isn't relevant, might as well pick the absolute worst one.

In all honesty John McCain seems like he could have a shot. Guiliani's used up most of 9|11 credits and just wouldn't fly with the anti-everything-but-Jesus Republicans. In the end I imagine the Republicans will nominate some nobody with a generic all-American sounding name and it will just end of being Dubya in a crappy Halloween costume.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-10-20, 03:20

Quote:
If there is anyone who would have voted for her instead, I can change your vote. Just let me know.

Windswept works for Diebold

WS, I agree with your first thoughts on McCain. Although he's too conservative for my tastes, I used to respect his sharp tongue. He had no problem letting into anyone. Now he seems to have morphed into Mr. Ruffle No Feathers. Weak sauce. But, hey, that's a problem across the board with politicans.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-10-20, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
I voted Condi because I'm Canadian so my opinion on who you nutty Yanks isn't relevant, might as well pick the absolute worst one.

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head.