AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war almost over?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war almost over?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-01-04, 19:37

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ray.exclusive/

WB was I think the last (the only?) movie company supporting both formats. This definitely brings it down on the side of Blu Ray. I think I see light at the end of the tunnel!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-01-04, 19:48

Would be nice. What's left, Paramount/Universal?
Wrao
Yarp

2008-01-04, 19:49

Seems to me that downloading HD movies will become a bigger market in the long run.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-01-04, 19:56

Taken from Wikipedia:

Quote:
In terms of major studios in North America, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios (including subsidiaries Focus Features and Rogue Pictures), Paramount Pictures (including Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies, MTV Films, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation), and The Weinstein Company (including Dimension Films).
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-01-04, 20:06

Hmmm. The article (in OP) says Microsoft is still behind HD-DVD. Any chance of reversal because of Microsoft's monopoly strangulation dominance influence?

Edit: Re-reading Wrao's post, I just understood his point- HD DVD may flourish as a niche format, but has lost the battle for mainstream use....
Axl

2008-01-04, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Seems to me that downloading HD movies will become a bigger market in the long run.
Bamo

The High Def physical formats won't last long and definitely will not penetrate the market as much as DVD and VHS have.

Most folks will be hanging on to their DVD sets until the digital experience comes up to par.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-01-04, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Edit: Re-reading Wrao's post, I just understood his point- HD DVD may flourish as a niche format, but has lost the battle for mainstream use....
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for that matter.

Downloaded HD movies will probably never be quite as 'good' quality wise compared to HD-DVD and Blu-ray. But, if they look better than DVD and can be conveniently distributed and most importantly conveniently displayed on your average HD TV set, then people will flock to that.

It will be like the iTunes store. Not the best quality audio, but the convenience and usability made it popular.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-04, 20:46

Not to mention not needing to run to the store, unlimited availability of any title, etc. etc.
It'll come eventually, the question is how long it'll take before Big Media drops DRM.
I read the following today... Let's just say it was extremely chilling. Note the screen he got is 1650x1050. Not even Full HD.
http://davisfreeberg.com/2008/01/03/...pp-no-netflix/

Converted 07/2005.