User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year is...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year is...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-16, 21:50

Yup, you.

In other news: Time Magazine just fucking destroyed the value of their award.

I used to think about being Time's Person of the Year. I'd like to be highly regarded as an author and an individual - wouldn't we all? - but for some reason it's Time's Person of the Year award that always stuck out as one I'd like to recieve. I even know what I'd like on the cover of that issue.

Well, whoops, I already recieved it. Whatevs.

Seriously, though. Last year's selection (Bono, Bill & Melinda Gates) sucked too, just because they picked too many people - there aren't "ties" for this sort of thing. And then this year, they don't pick anyone (or they pick everyone, depending on how you look at it.)

Maybe if last year, they gave it to either Bono or The Gates Team, then they would be able to actually give the award to someone this year.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
zsummers
Avast!

2006-12-16, 21:58

Indeed!

Wouldn't it have been awesome it the Time Person of the Year was "Your Neighbor"?

Now that would make you want to win the award.

Or even better, they could've picked just one random schmuck with a myspace page, etc. It would've sucked as a choice, but it'd be better than this.

But this diddly poo? Eh. Make a choice, Editors of Time.

p.s. And did they have to muck up the iMac's nice lines that badly to get their point across?
SpecMode
Wait what

For the record, since there's an Apple keyboard and (the base of) an iMac there, I suppose you can consider that their own unspoken vote for the Steve, if it makes you feel any better.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 

I for one feel it is well deserved in my case and would like to thank my Mum, my Wife, my manager and all my friends who have never stopped believing in me.

I feel I need to give something back and intend to use my new found celebrity to help the needy people of the world. I will be calling George (Clooney) and Angelina (Jolie) later today to enlist with them to make a difference.

Thank you. I love you all.....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
zsummers
Avast!

2006-12-16, 21:59

^
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-12-16, 22:01

You stupid bastards, the person of the year is ME.

Fuck, read it from MY perspective, which is what they obviously intended. I am the fucking PERSON OF THE YEAR, afterall. Learn your place. Jesus.
zsummers
Avast!

2006-12-16, 22:13

I am so putting this on my resumé.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-16, 22:15

So wait... Time got teh haxxored or what?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-16, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
I am so putting this on my resumé.
I just texted all my friends.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-12-16, 22:21

I just watched the CNN presentation on this..

I would have rather had The Three Neo-conservatives, Axis of stupidity choice.
zsummers
Avast!

2006-12-16, 22:25

I'm pretty sure I won this for scoring 31 Trillion on a flash game.
rasmits
rams it

2006-12-16, 22:53

Wasn't there a similar outburst when Time named the computer person of the year?

I'm sure we'll get over it. Although I agree, this is pretty lame. I don't think the user-generated internet was earth-shattering or somehow a breakthrough success this year. It's been progressing steadily in this direction since the creation of the internet.

edit: I'm guessing on the actual magazine the YouTube screen is going to be a mirror?

You had me at asl
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-16, 22:57

I would like to congratulate you on your accomplishment!!!!!
You were always my favorite person here...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-16, 23:42

I was going to be the first to say that I was going to list it on my qualifications, but I was beaten to it. Fine. It's going on my CV, so there.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-16, 23:43

God, I can't wait to see what the Onion does with this. This is almost too easy.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-16, 23:45

Everyone should put it on their CV/resume. We've all earned it, right? What a joke.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-16, 23:51

After giving this some more thought, I have an idea.

Let's all call Time Warner and decline the award.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-12-17, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
I'm guessing on the actual magazine the YouTube screen is going to be a mirror?
Apparently so...

Why'd they have to use the YouTube controls though? QT's full-screen controls look so tight...

You ask me for a hamburger.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-12-17, 00:04

That is quite cool. I am going to have mine framed, and hang it on my bedroom wall, so I can look at it every morning when I get up.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-12-17, 00:10

So could anyone find a higher-res picture of the cover? I want to photoshop myself into it...

Edit: never mind...

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-12-17 at 00:25.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-17, 00:12

Further proof the news media is now totally useless. It's all entertainment, spin and public relations masquerading as news, other than the stories about death and corruption of course. Those mark high on the advertisers' most wanted list.

Fuck Time, Newsweek, Businessweek, USA Today, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX FOX FOX, fuck FOX and all their ridiculous spin doctoring and giving a voice / platform to uninformed jackasses who have no business appearing on a newscast... all of em. Useless.

And now back to... You. Errr... Murbot.

...into the light of a dark black night.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-12-17, 00:12

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-12-17, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking this whole thread
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-17, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Fuck Time, Newsweek, Businessweek, USA Today, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX FOX FOX, fuck FOX and all their ridiculous spin doctoring and giving a voice / platform to uninformed jackasses who have no business appearing on a newscast... all of em. Useless.
Thank you for at least being even-handed and realizing the utter worthlessness of all of them, and not just doing the typical and worn-out "everyone's great except for evil Fox" routine (that gets a bit old around here). Gets hard to take some of you seriously when, immediately after berating Fox for two paragraphs, you turn around - and with a totally straight face - extol the virtues of this or that network, newspaper or news organization, when they're not one damn bit better, more objective or engage in any truer pursuit of "journalism". They're all businesses, beholden, first and foremost, to ratings (and shareholders). Pure, objective and well-reported news is a bit further down the list. Anyone who hasn't figured that out - and accepted it - yet is living in a delusional Candy Land (or is in journalism school themselves, and out to "change the world").

Anyway, back on topic...

Yeah, I saw this story last night and immediately thought "what a cheeseball cop-out". Not that I really gave two damns about anything Time magazine does or says, but what do they do next year? Just seems like they've pretty much topped-out, and anything to come won't be that special (think about it: if all us cell-phone-abusing, movie-theater-talking, grocery store checkout lane nimrods are "person of the year", suddenly the "honor" doesn't mean much, does it?).

They gonna give it to Todd Bridges or one of Charlie's Angels next year? Or some dipwad infomercial host? Why not?

They may as well given it to Paris Hilton or one of the other panty-less twit brigade members. Means about as much. (part of me was half expecting that anyway, at which point I would've just gone off to some cave, curled up and died quietly).

But I am indeed going to put it on my resumé, just for kicks. Hey, it's not a lie, right?

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-12-17, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They may as well given it to Paris Hilton or one of the other panty-less twit brigade members.
They *did* do it technically.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-17, 08:14

True. I keep forgetting we all received the honor.

See? It's already worthless, and means nothing. Think of all the shitheads out there. Surely they can't be "person of the year"...

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-17, 09:22

Here's the really funny, or I guess sad works too, thing about this; check out the list of all the past "Persons of the Year's" and then put 'You' at the top of the list... Time has lost any sort of credibility they may have still had.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-17, 09:24

Quote:
See? It's already worthless, and means nothing. Think of all the shitheads out there. Surely they can't be "person of the year"
Yah, fuck them too! (I forgot to add them to my list).
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-12-17, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Here's the really funny, or I guess sad works too, thing about this; check out the list of all the past "Persons of the Year's" and then put 'You' at the top of the list... Time has lost any sort of credibility they may have still had.
1939: Joseph Stalin
Paved the way for Hitler's war by signing secret pact with old enemy

1938: Adolf Hitler
His figure strode over Europe with all the swagger of a conqueror

1942: Joseph Stalin
The U.S.'s new ally in war against Hitler

Hmm... So we stand among these 'greats'.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-17, 09:30

Wasn't Bill the Cat Man of the Year once too (i.e. the cartoonist guy)? I'm serious...

Bill the Cat = teh win vs. Stalin and Hitler or any of those WWII fascist goat-humpers.

...into the light of a dark black night.