User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Spilled Milk in iBook G3 600 Mhz Keyboard ~6 Months ago.. Help?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spilled Milk in iBook G3 600 Mhz Keyboard ~6 Months ago.. Help?
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2005-07-12, 11:17

Hey all. This is my first post in a long time. I have a slight problem... Earlier this year, not too long after New Years, while helping my mom get songs onto her iPod (legally might I add ) I accidentally and carelessly spilled most of a glass of milk on my white iBook G3's keyboard, that had recently (like 2-3 months before that) been replaced from the original OEM keyboard it had. When it happened, my brother and I quickly shut the machine down, and dried up what we could of the milk. We did it in time so none of the liquid made it to the computer's innards, such as the heat sink, Airport card, etc.

While it still works, the keyboard damage has dramatically had an effect on my typing, cutting my typing speed basically in half. On top of that, it's become very dusty underneath the keys. I bought a pair of needlenose tweezers to pull out any accumulated filth in that, and while that's helped some, it's never been the same since the milk entered the equation, so to speak. The keyboard sorta feels uneven, even though I've tried to realign it countless times, and it doesn't seem to help.

My iBook is a G3 600 Mhz from 2001 (the April 2001 series), running Mac OS X 10.4.1, with 640 MB of RAM, a 14 GB internal HD (that needs replacing as well, since it's become very noisy; my guess is that the reader heads or whatever your call them got worn out, because when I run the comp off of another HD and this drive spins down it's quiet as anything), 12" screen, Firewire 400, USB 1.1, 56k modem, who knows what speed ethernet 8 MB of video RAM, and the list goes on. I know the specs weren't necessary in order to get advice for my keyboard problem, but I thought it'd be good to know so you could familiarize yourself with the model. This was all off of the top of my head, so I could be somewhat off. I'm not a Mac newbie mind you though... First used a Mac+ at age 4 in 1988.

So.... What I wanna know is, has anyone here suffered something similar? If so, short of getting a new keyboard (which I've already considering getting when my credit card bill's been payed off for this month) what can I do to get my keyboard working as it was? Oh and before I forget, the warranty is dead, kaput, no longer with us, as I didn't get AppleCare after the initial 1 year care expired.

Thanks in advance,
Shiggy

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!

Last edited by ShiggyMiyamoto : 2005-07-12 at 11:21.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-12, 11:36

Sorry to hear your bad luck Shiggy - I'm afraid I have no advice but I hope you get that keyboard sorted out.

FJ
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-07-12, 11:37

One thing you might want to consider is just putting the keyboard in the dishwasher, and not using a dry cycle. After it's done washing it, rince it with deionized water and let it sit for a day or two to dry. Odds are there's all sorts of crap in there hosing it up. That shouldn't kill anything doing it that way though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2005-07-12, 11:41

Alc: Are you sure that'd work? I feel sorta weary doing that... Wouldn't that f*ck over the keyboard even more? Also, my comp'd look sorta odd with no keyboard... even though I have an external one... plus.. my dad'd get pissed, since he basically bought the initial replacement in that 2-3 months before the accident/incident...

Ya Franz. Thanks for the good wishes. ^_^ It's been over 6 months since and I'm still sorta bummed over it...

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-12, 11:47

Don't try over spilt milk
ShiggyMiyamoto

2005-07-12, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Don't try over spilt milk
WTF.. lol I missed this place. lol. Glad to be back.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2005-07-13, 16:41

wat about taking all the keys off and rinsing it... also soak the keys in water
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-07-13, 18:10

Washing it in the dishwasher shouldn't do any damage, especially if you rinse it with deionized water. Electronic components are destroyed by water unless they have elecricity running through them. Just use the DI water to make sure you don't get calcium build up or anything afterwards.

Just don't do the hot dry.

Google is your frenemy.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-27, 14:28

Any update on this Shiggy - how did it pan out?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-27, 14:36

I spilled a cup of tea (with milk and sugar) into my PowerBook years ago. I took the keyboard off and held it under running water for a good 5 minutes. Let it dry on a sunny shelf for the day, and overnight, and it was fine the next day.

Of course if you destroy yours doing this, I take no responsibility. But it *should* be peachy.

EDIT: I just realized this is a bumped, older topic... oh well, I'll leave my post as-is anyway. How'd it go, shigster?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-27, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Washing it in the dishwasher shouldn't do any damage, especially if you rinse it with deionized water. Electronic components are destroyed by water unless they have elecricity running through them. Just use the DI water to make sure you don't get calcium build up or anything afterwards.

Just don't do the hot dry.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but where do you get deionized water? Is this something you make yourself?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-27, 21:23

Duh, use a deionizer.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-07-27, 23:06

sorry, at my work we have piles of deionized water. otherwise you can usually buy it at the grocery store.

and that should be aren't in the above statement, not are. d'oh.

Google is your frenemy.