Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Lacie Firewire Drive won't mount.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lacie Firewire Drive won't mount.
writesimon

2004-09-03, 13:29

Hi
I've been experiencing some problems with my Lacie external drive (80gb porsche firewire thing, but not the ultraportable one). wonder if anyone can help me.
Basically sometimes it doesn't mount. Only sometimes though, and I can't see anything I'm doing to affect this. I've tried it on three computers and used different cables but it's always the same: sometimes it mounts, sometimes it doesn't.
It's only about five months old and is used only very occasionally. Do I just have a faulty drive that I should try and take back if I can find the receipt?
Many thanks for all suggestions,
Simon
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-03, 14:12

Funny you should mention this.

Just today I shipped back to OWC an external FireWire drive. It was their "Neptune" 60 GB model. I ordered it for the office back in April and it died some time over the summer while I was away. The boss gave me the go-ahead and it's currently on its way back to Illinois.

If the drive has a warranty, which it should, and is still covered, send an e-mail to the support folks ASAP with as much detail about it and your problems. If Lacie's support is anything like OWC's, you'll get an address to send it and a tracking/support number to write on the package.

My point? Faulty FireWire drives must not be too uncommon. So, I'd guess that, yes, yours is faulty and should be sent back for a replacement ASAP.

Good luck!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
writesimon

2004-09-06, 12:30

Hi Brad
Thanks very much for that.
Will try and make them take it back!
cheers
Simon
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-09-11, 19:52

I have a similar problem. Is there any way I can get my LaCie Firewire DVD burner to mount a DVD+R disc? Are there any patches I can apply?

I burned the DVD+R on Windows XP on a Sony Vaio.

Thanks.

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!