User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Let me see your license, registration...oh, and a Klee-nex...".

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Let me see your license, registration...oh, and a Klee-nex...".
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-13, 11:48

What. The. Hell?!?

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/news/il...park-ed/26661/

This is so weird it's funny.

Or is it the other way around?

How did this guy not get jail time?

My old stomping grounds too...Irvine, CA. I know where Captain Cream's is. Never went, but it's right off the 405 in a little shopping strip (ha!) area...they advertised in the Orange County Register all the time. I always used to laugh at the name..."gee, I wonder what sort of establishment this is?"
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-02-13, 11:56

and cue the slimeball lawyer:
Quote:
“She got what she wanted,” said Stokke. “She’s an overtly sexual person.”
It's incredibly annoying to see how quick they are to blame on women for "turning them on", when they very well know that they're ones perpetrating the crime.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-13, 12:00

I know.

"Yes, counselor...I'm sure this woman, while driving home, was just dying to be jizzed on by shady, power-wielding law enforcement. The perfect end to her day!"

I'm guessing she was scared out of her mind. Think about it: "wow, if this guy will do this...what else is he capable of?!?"

That's what I'd be thinking..."oh no, now he's going to have to make sure I never report this".

Once The Wang comes out, in a situation like this, you'd have to be ready for damn near anything (being kidnapped, shot, etc.). The guy's already demonstrated he's not exactly playing by the rules, you know?

Idiot. He was married too. I hope his wife gave him a beating for her trouble.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-02-13, 12:12

wtf?
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2007-02-13, 12:14

That's just horrible. That lawyer sounds almost as awful as the cop. And how can they have a jury in a case like this made up almost entirely of men? Doesn't that sound a bit biased?

The whole thing is disgusting. I think there's a good deal of evidence that this wasn't some random traffic stop. And regardless of how attractive the woman is, he still has the ability to keep his pants zipped. I'm sorry, but this whole, "well, she made me do it" is an incredibly weak defense.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-13, 12:15

Fair play to him. Everyone was a winner AFAICT.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-13, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
wtf?
Seconded.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-13, 12:17

Anybody catch where the stripper worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Weekly
she was on her way home from work as a dancer at Captain Cream Cabaret.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-13, 12:24

Yeah, I mention this in my thread-starting post wayyyyyy up above.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-13, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, I mention this in my thread-starting post wayyyyyy up above.
Oops.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-13, 12:28

It wasn't the first time she'd been ejaculated on that day. I'm not sure what her problem is.

CASH GRAB.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-13, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
That's just horrible. That lawyer sounds almost as awful as the cop. And how can they have a jury in a case like this made up almost entirely of men? Doesn't that sound a bit biased?

The whole thing is disgusting. I think there's a good deal of evidence that this wasn't some random traffic stop. And regardless of how attractive the woman is, he still has the ability to keep his pants zipped. I'm sorry, but this whole, "well, she made me do it" is an incredibly weak defense.
Yeah, I was talking with my wife about what the conversation must have been like after he got home that night.

"Oh, BTW honey, don't worry about anything you see in the news. You know they just blow stuff out of proportion."

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-02-13, 12:38

you said blow stuff....

as for the case...i absolutely can't believe he got off...mmmm, has run checks on multiple strippers, had pulled over stripper before, was out of his area, had turned off his GPS so they didn't know he was parked outside the strip club waiting for her to leave, sprayed jiss on her clothes, called her after for 19 minutes to see if she got home ok???

dang was he guilty

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-02-13, 12:44

Only in California. I mean wtf, how could it not be his fault? What happened, she flashed some beaver and then his instantaneous erection burst through his pants and shot a load on her, without time for the officer to react? Give me a break. He obviously whipped it out. Right there, he's guilty. WTF.

...into the light of a dark black night.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-13, 12:55

Paul, what in the HELL are you doing on this website?

There are some, um, interesting columns there.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-13, 13:02

Ha...I don't know. I didn't see those others.

I actually linked to the "cop spraying bullets" story from another news/events site, in a little "weird/freaky news" sidebar they have.

But I'll have to bookmark the OC Weekly site now...quirky, interesting reading.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-02-13, 13:09

Pscates, you get props for shocking Murbot. That's a pretty tough thing to do. Good job, boy!
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-13, 13:14

Just actually read the article... she gave him a handjob. It's not like he just stood there and did it through the window. He also fingered her and fondled her tits.

Maybe the whore wasn't so innocent!!!!1
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-13, 13:15

Paul, if the article isn't long, can you post it here?

I keep getting the message: page can't be displayed.

Thanks.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-02-13, 13:17

I think it's something you don't need to see Windswept. Perhaps that's why it's not working for you.

autodata
hustlin

2007-02-13, 13:18

While the cop obviously has serious control issues, I think it's a big mistake to just assume that this woman is a victim.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-13, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
I think it's something you don't need to see Windswept. Perhaps that's why it's not working for you.

Well, 'that'... and the fact that I'm at the library, using public computers.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-13, 13:19

Officer Park: put your hands behind my back

No one disputes that an on-duty Irvine police officer got an erection and ejaculated on a motorist during an early-morning traffic stop in Laguna Beach. The female driver reported it, DNA testing confirmed it and officer David Alex Park finally admitted it.

When the case went to trial, however, defense attorney Al Stokke argued that Park wasn’t responsible for making sticky all over the woman’s sweater. He insisted that she made the married patrolman make the mess—after all, she was on her way home from work as a dancer at Captain Cream Cabaret.

“She got what she wanted,” said Stokke. “She’s an overtly sexual person.”

A jury of one woman and 11 men—many white and in their 50s or 60s—agreed with Stokke. On Feb. 2, after a half-day of deliberations, they found Park not guilty of three felony charges that he’d used his badge to win sexual favors during the December 2004 traffic stop.

Park, 31, was red-faced and unable to control his twitching foot in the moments before the verdict was announced; if convicted, he would have faced prison. When he was found not guilty, he briefly embraced Stokke. In the public seating section, tears flowed from his gray-haired mother’s face. His father, a mechanic, closed his eyes and threw his head back. Outside the courtroom, surrounded by his family, a smiling Park said he felt vindicated.

Veteran sex crimes prosecutor Shaddi Kamiabipour—who’d called Park “a predator” during the nine-day trial—said she was disappointed with the verdicts. She also dismissed Stokke’s contention that the Orange County District Attorney’s office had overcharged the case. At stake, Kamiabipour said, was the principle that no one—not even a horny cop who’d once won honors for community service—is above the law.

“Park didn’t pick a housewife or a 17-year-old girl,” Kamiabipour said in her closing argument. “He picked a stripper. He picked the perfect victim.”

In the wee hours of Dec. 15, 2004, Lucy (only her first name was used during the trial) finished her final shift at Captain Cream in Lake Forest, not far from the Irvine Spectrum. Management had let her go after an incident involving a female customer in a bathroom stall. According to court records, there had been a small amount of cocaine, kissing and breast fondling.

Meanwhile, Park was on patrol in the southwest portion of Irvine. Prosecutors believe he was craving a sexual rendezvous, and so he watched for Lucy’s white BMW to leave the strip club parking lot, then tailed her, waiting for an excuse for a stop. Park insisted he’d been cruising on the 405 north and coincidentally saw Lucy’s vehicle weave and speed.

Kamiabipour, the prosecutor, shook her head in disbelief. She knew the facts—that the officer had waited at least eight or nine minutes before stopping the stripper on a secluded section of a highway that was out of his jurisdiction.

“He was stalking her,” she said.

Four months earlier, Park had stopped Lucy under similar circumstances. That time, he’d ignored a plastic drug baggie he’d found in her car and her suspended license. But the stop wasn’t a waste of time. After friendly chit-chat, the officer had scored Lucy’s phone number. Telephone records show that Park called the stripper the next morning. She told him she was too busy to meet.

On the witness stand, Park explained that he’d called Lucy out of concern for a citizen’s safety. He also shrugged his shoulders when Kamiabipour slowly listed the first names of nine Captain Cream female employees—Annette, Denise, Rashele, Marlia, Brandi, Andrea, Deborah, Laura and Shannon—whose license plates he’d run through the DMV computer in the weeks prior to his sexual encounter with Lucy. (Another coincidence, according to Stokke.) Jurors also learned that Irvine Police Sgt. Michael Hallinan had previously warned Park as they left work to stay away from the strippers.

Park, who works in construction nowadays, conceded that he’d been given the warning but claimed that he had no clue it was Lucy in the vehicle or that she had an invalid driver’s license, even as he approached her car window.

Kamiabipour believed she’d caught the 6-foot-3 cop in a lie. Records show he ran the bosomy, 5-foot, 110-pound dancer’s license plate before the stop, did not call for backup despite the potential for an arrest and failed to tell his supervisor or dispatch that he was leaving Irvine. Several Irvine officers testified that Park’s behavior that night was odd.

“[Park’s] testimony was just incredible,” said Kamiabipour. Irvine city officials must have doubted his story, too. After an exhaustive police internal affairs investigation, they felt it was prudent to give Lucy $400,000 to make her civil lawsuit go away—for fear a jury might give her much more.

In a secretly-recorded phone call to Laguna Beach police shortly after the incident, Lucy recalled that she’d told Park she had no license. Park began “rubbing himself up against me,” she said. “Then, he said, ‘What are we going to do here, Lucy?’”

Park unzipped his pants, took his penis out and got an erection, she explained. “Basically, the officer made me give [him] a freaking hand job and he let me go. I’m so freaked out about it.”

(Lucy also told police, prosecutors and the jury that Park had also fingered her vagina and fondled her breasts before he ejaculated on her.)

“I was confused,” she told the Laguna Beach dispatcher. “He called me afterwards. I’m scared, you know . . . What’s an Irvine cop doing hanging out at a strip club in Lake Forest?”

Telephone records prove that Park made a 19-minute call to Lucy shortly after their encounter. The officer—who told the woman he was “Joe Stephens,” an Orange County Sheriff’s Department deputy who had died months earlier—said it was a friendly call to make sure she’d arrived home safely. The stripper said he told her to keep her mouth shut.

And then Kamiabipour introduced the bombshell evidence from a high-ranking Irvine police officer: on the night Park tailed Lucy out of the city, the global positioning system in his patrol car had been disconnected without authorization.

“I checked and [the GPS] was not working,” said Lt. Henry Boggs.

An unexplainable coincidence, Park’s defense countered.

For all his boneheaded mistakes, Park madea sharp decision picking his legal counsel. Stokke (and John Barnett, Paul Myer and Jennifer Keller) is among the elite of the local defense bar. His fine suits and mastery of courtroom procedures compliment the folksy, grandfatherly style he uses to charm juries. And there was this unspoken advantage over the prosecution: longtime courthouse observers have no memory of an Orange County jury convicting a police officer of a felony.

It wasn’t a surprise that Stokke put the woman and her part-time occupation on trial. In his opening argument, he made it The Good Cop versus The Slutty Stripper. He pointed out that she’d once had a violent fight with a boyfriend in San Diego. He mocked her inability to keep a driver’s license. He accused her of purposefully “weakening” Park so that he became “a man,” not a cop during the traffic stop. He called her a liar angling for easy lawsuit cash. He called her a whore without saying the word.

“You dance around a pole, don’t you?” Stokke asked.

Superior Court Judge William Evans ruled the question irrelevant.

Stokke saw he was scoring points with the jury.

“Do you place a pole between your legs and go up and down?” he asked.

“No,” said Lucy before the judge interrupted.

“You do the dancing to get men to do what you what them to do,” said Stokke. “And the same thing happened out there on that highway [in Laguna Beach]. You wanted [Park] to take some sex!”

Lucy said, “No sir,” the sex wasn’t consensual. Stokke—usually a mellow fellow with a nasally, monotone voice—gripped his fists, stood upright, clenched his jaws and then thundered, “You had a buzz on [that night], didn’t you?”

As if watching a volley in tennis, the heads of the male-dominated jury spun from Stokke back to Lucy, who sat in the witness box. She said no, but it was hopeless. Jurors stared at her without a hint of sympathy.

In his closing argument, Stokke pounced. He called Lucy one of those “girls who have learned the art of the tease, getting what they want . . . they’ve learned to separate men from their money.”

Kamiabipour wasn’t amused. “Dancer or not, sexually promiscuous nor not, she had the right not to consent,” she told jurors. “[Park] doesn’t get a freebie just because of who she is . . . He used her like an object.”
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-02-13, 13:20

How odd. This is a news site (if a little kinky) so it shouldn't be filtered out. But hey, whatever...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-02-13, 13:29

Sorry but if you pull someone over on a deserted stretch of road, and you have a gun, anything that occurs can't be considered consensual by its very nature.

Top that off with he's called her in the past, and was obviously stalking her and his creep meter must have been pegged.

All male jury or not, I'd have thrown the book at this asshole.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-13, 13:30

I'd normally agree, but then again I'd need to see what this honey looks like.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2007-02-13, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
and cue the slimeball lawyer:

It's incredibly annoying to see how quick they are to blame on women for "turning them on", when they very well know that they're ones perpetrating the crime.
He's just doing his job.

Blame the court, not the lawyer. Anyone should have been able to see through his bullshit. It's not his fault they actually bought into it.

Very weird story.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-13, 15:31

Does anyone not think that, maybe, this wasn't a miscarriage of justice, and that she actually did do something wrong? What with the whole jury-of-her-peers thing? No? OK.
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-02-13, 15:32

It is a jury of HIS peers because HE is the one accused...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-02-13, 16:02

well the police dept paid her 400,000 and fired him...i guess internal affairs thought it smelled fishy...

and no murbot, you can't follow up that line with a crude comment

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough