AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 216 of 216 First Previous 212 213 214 215 [216]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-08, 23:34

Ha. Glance at the Billboard top 40. It absolutely is.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-02-15, 10:46

Todays top story, bots taking over the forum. Must have started 100 new threads already.
¡Damned!

2024-02-15, 11:20

Bots that must've time-traveled from the early 20th century no less.

Masterly Girls? Unjaundiced Girls? Sagacious Girls? Overweening Girls? Unalloyed Girls? Within Pliant Reach Girls? (?!!)

Yes please. Point the way to the nearest speakeasy, my hookup wingbot.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2024-02-15 at 11:40.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 13:05

I saw them this morning and couldn't come up with a good place to talk about it so I just sent one spam notice to mods and went about my day.

It is impressive that they got an account and were able to start so many threads so fast. I thought there was a block on that kind of thing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-02-15, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I saw them this morning and couldn't come up with a good place to talk about it so I just sent one spam notice to mods and went about my day.

It is impressive that they got an account and were able to start so many threads so fast. I thought there was a block on that kind of thing.
Brad was working to block some of the bots by banning IPs and connections from some areas of the world. That lasted until a few weeks ago, now they have clearly found a way around it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 13:10

It doesn't take too much. Compromise an out of date server and it becomes a botnet machine and able to do all kinds of posting. Compromise a server hosted in the US and it would likely be considered "safe". I did a search for the URL they posted and it is everywhere. Same link, all of the web in forums. A few of those forums I decided to check had already removed the threads at least.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-15, 13:48

I missed all the craziness. Oh well, here's a legit(?) news story that isn't too tacky or sordid, just kinda funny.

Man Claims "Higher Power" Approved Of His 1:20 AM Trespassing

Quote:
After being arrested again for trespassing on the grounds of an Ohio library, a suspect explained to police that “a higher power allowed him” to be on the property at 1:20 AM.

Specifically, Carnel Gittens claimed he had “checked with Christ” and secured permission, according to a police report.
Interesting. Curious to see the trial name on this one. Ohio v. J. Christ?

Quote:
Gittens, 28, was arrested early Saturday outside the public library in Sandusky, a city an hour outside Cleveland. Gittens (right) was using an exterior outlet to charge his phone, cops reported.

Gittens--who had twice previously been busted trespassing at the library--cited Christ when a patrolman asked what he was doing on the property. Charged with criminal trespass, Gittens was booked into the Erie County jail, where he remains locked up on $1750 bond.

Following a 2023 arrest, Gittens, who is nicknamed “Cloud,” told police he “was from Canada and he has been wandering Ohio for the past year.”
Kinda neat how wandering hobos/bums can have/afford phones. Some of those plans are pretty generous.

The writer couldn't help himself, apparently...

Quote:
Christ could not be reached for comment.

Thanks, Shecky. Now sit back down at your new MacBook and STFU. If Christ could/did comment, he'd tell this writer to watch his ass before it gets violated with a few dozen lightning bolts.

Sounds like the guy above has been arrested multiple times for this same sort of thing. Don't punish a fella for wanting to read, hell we need more of that in this culture! We should celebrate his dedication to literature/literacy, not toss him in the joint. Trade this guy for all the muggers, car-jackers and "graffiti artists" running around.

PS - I should probably stop being so naive and Pollyanna about it. A homeless guy accessing the library at weird hours was more likely seeking Internet access/tater-whacking material, vs. some Steinbeck classics.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-02-15, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I missed all the craziness.
Wouldn't count on it, user isn't banned and posts are still live.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 17:58

Yeah, just View Today's Posts and you'll see the list still there.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-02-15, 18:27

I confess that I panicked last night and lit the watchfires over on our subreddit. It was late and I was too tired to realize that I was viewing "latest posts" - I thought that the worst had happened and that the forums had been wiped. In case you need it, our subreddit is the same name as our site. Hopefully we'll get a colony built in Minecraft soon where we can explode creepers at each other.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-02-15, 22:01

Can we delete these threads? (then delete this request?)
  • Great Girls
  •  Adroit Girls
  •  Alluring Girls
  •  Appealing Girls
  •  At The Friendly Girls
  •  At The Mature Girls
  •  Attractive Girls
  •  Bewitching Girls
  •  Cordial Girls
  •  Cunning Girls
  •  Daedalian Girls
  •  Enjoyable Girls
  •  Far-out Girls
  •  Good Girls
  •  Lovely Girls
  •  Lyrical Girls
  •  Overrefined Girls
  •  Radiant Girls
  •  Sly Girls
  •  Smashing Girls
  •  Unalloyed Girls
  •  Usable Girls
  •  Within Pliant Reach Girls

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-02-15, 23:35

Mods are AWOL today it seems.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Mods are AWOL today it seems.
Believe it or not, I've been on the forums every day this week and there were no new posts showing until this morning. I thought all you guys got vacuumed into a black hole! So, something was weird.

And, yeah …

Anyway, I cleaned up, and I think I got all the assholes and their "threads". Sorry for the mess.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-16, 15:34

Weird how it all happened, and some of us saw it and many of us didn't. I just figured half of you were crazy, no biggie or departure.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I just figured half of you were crazy …
Those of us still hanging around have been at it almost twenty years.

"Crazy" is the best possible description.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-02-20, 14:44

Apple's ramps its fight against home repair up a notch. Not even the rice-loving Asians are safe.

Did this ever work in real life with anybody?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-20, 14:48

I prefer the microwave for that kind of thing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-02-20, 16:00

I always microwave my cats to dry them out. 💀
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-02-20, 16:11

Quote:
Drowning them in rice would definitely work better.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-20, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Apple's ramps its fight against home repair up a notch. Not even the rice-loving Asians are safe.

Did this ever work in real life with anybody?
Years ago, pre-iPhone (probably spring 2007 because I didn’t wig too bad, knowing I’d have an iPhone soon, later that summer), I dropped my little silver Samsung flip phone (my first cell phone) in a pool and watched it sink to the bottom, about 10 feet. I was scooping out leaves and had the phone in my shirt pocket. I kneeled down to grab some debris out and when I leaned over the phone came out of my pocket, right into the deep end. I jumped in, all clothes, and swam down to a head-hurting depth to snatch it. It wasn’t in the water 30 seconds, but it was submerged as submerged gets. This was first half of 2007…nothing was gasket-sealed/water resistant, except maybe scuba tanks.

Anyway, my former brother-in-law told me to NOT turn it on and to put it in a ziploc baggie of rice for a day or two, then once it no longer felt/looked waterlogged, try to start it up. To my shock, a couple of days later, it started right up,connected to the Cingular/AT&T network and it worked. Water had gotten into/behind one of the screen/display layers because there was a big moving bubble shape that was there for the final few months I had it. But it all worked just fine, minus a tripod, lava lamp kinda screen. Groovy, maaannn…

Anyway, I hoped that little phone was neat in its own way. I kinda miss it. It was so small and comfy. Not “smart” by any stretch, but it served me well for three years and brought me into the cellular/mobile realm and allowed me to finally say goodbye to useless landline. Training wheels for my next step that summer. The rice thing totally saved it from a 10-foot submersion. I was so happy to see it start back up! It's probably in a landfill now, who knows where, long dead/out of service.

PS - It was a Samsung x427. If you Google that, there are tons of pics. Little silver flip phone with a little integrated antenna nub pooching up from the top.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-20 at 20:28.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-21, 01:20

Quote:
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-21, 12:33

Good grief...

I'm not surprised, I figured it was something like this, a bunch of meathead sports fans gathering in one place and...someone *gasp* "looked at" someone. Absolutely grounds for pulling out your Peacemaker and spraying the joint with lead. All the cool people know that's S.O.P.

Chiefs Super Bowl rally shooting started because someone was "looking at" someone else

What a waste of oxygen, some people are. If that's all it takes for you to open fire into a crowd, and take innocent lives, you don't need to be out on the streets to start with. You've probably already done enough stupid, low-rent shit that should've had your punk ass sitting in county lockup, not a threat to people enjoying a happy celebration for their hometown team. I figured it was all based on a beef or some shit-talking amongst those with backwards caps, starter jackets, $200 jerseys, stupid tattoos, ridiculous, overpriced footwear, etc. There's no race in this, so don't anyone start up with your tired shit. The biggest sport/football meatheads I know are fellow white guys who get into a scuffle every Sunday during winter, based on the performance of "their" team (or their hated rivals). Go to a bar, get a few in them, some words/taunts are exchanged and PRESTO...another black eye/chipped tooth. These morons hang out at sport-related gatherings, so someone in a 49's cap was probably staring down a Chiefs fan. Of course it has to escalate to gunfire and fighting. Fucking morons, were probably looking to beef, based on the handful of people like this I know.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-21, 13:08

Quote:
Insecure men, too thin-skinned to tolerate someone else's gaze and too stupid to not start waving around guns and too impulsive to not pull the trigger resulted in the death of a woman who had nothing to do with their stupid-ass macho head games.
Can I say it was males, not men who did this.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-21, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Can I say it was males, not men who did this.
Thank you, Tony!

That is 100% correct. Men do not behave like this. Unfortunately, there are too many little boys residing inside grown-up bodies..

"Men" knuckle down, take responsibility, work with vigor, build homes and families, protect those they love, their neighbors and communities, act with respect to all they encounter, solve problems logically, and behave civilly.

The people that are doing this crap are nothing more than cowardly children.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)