Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

When are clothes dirty?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When are clothes dirty?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
veryamusing

2008-03-06, 22:40

I'm of the opinion that clothes aren't necessarily dirty after being worn once, even twice, three times, etc. In fact, I haven't had to have a pair of pants dry cleaned in months. Shirts get cleaned more frequently, but I will often wear a dress shirt many times before deciding it needs to be laundered. I wear the same pair of jeans literally every day; they get washed once weekly. I use one towel per week. Socks and underwear are only worn once between washes. (You're welcome! ) T-shirts and polos though, get washed after I've worn them twice.

My boyfriend, however, feels that if an article of clothing even *touches* his skin it's dirty and needs to be washed. I know what you're thinking: "What a freaking weirdo!" He uses a different towel after each shower. Oh, and he even wore a new pair of socks everyday for a year, because he disliked wearing "used" socks. Even jeans/dress pants are dirty after they've been worn once.

Our compulsions don't bother either of us, but we vehemently disagree. So, who's right? When are clothes dirty?
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2008-03-06, 22:49

Outside of jeans, if something's been on my body for more than 18 hours, it probably needs to be cleaned...because I'm exceptionally good at spilling condiments and drinks on my shirts.

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor

Last edited by lightning_bug : 2008-03-06 at 22:50. Reason: Because I suck at teh English.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-03-06, 22:53

I think for me, it depends on the situation.

Jeans I will wear several times before changing.

I always wear clean undershirts and boxer briefs.

Socks I try and change every day, but sometimes if I haven't showered and I'm going to run or work, et cetera, I'll just throw on some that I wore the day before.

Regular tshirts and dress shirts are usually just a once wear, but sometimes, rarely, I'll wear them twice.

Here's the catch with everything though. If any of them smell like smoke, they need to be immediately washed. Due to being a former smoker, I can't stand the smell of that shit anymore.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Dovek916

2008-03-06, 23:31

Cloths are dirty only when:
*They get crud on them that is noticeable
*They smell bad, or at least noticeable
*It has been through multiple workouts, even though it is not smelly, like in the summer when it is hot, you sweat and then dries, multiple times
*You can't see the natural color of the shirt

Otherwise, all cloths are fair game to be re-worn. I re-ware my shorts and sweatshirts multiple times a week, but change everything else daily. I agree with veryamusing's boyfriend that new socks are one of the true pleasures in life.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-06, 23:40

What's "underwear"?
iThink therefore iMac

2008-03-06, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
What's "underwear"?
I hope you're kidding...but Wikipedia is your friend.
Dovek916

2008-03-06, 23:49

Underwear is only dirty when you want it to be dirty

Last edited by Dovek916 : 2008-03-06 at 23:50. Reason: I is can't right sentence
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-07, 00:25

I change underwear and socks every day. Jeans, I'll wear multiple days. I always wear white T-shirts under sweaters, button-downs or pullovers, so I wear those (sweaters, etc.) two times.

Anything that touches my skin (or any "intimate areas") gets changed daily...kinda gross not not, IMO. Other stuff, I'm a bit flexible on. Rules get adjusted in hot, humind Southern summers. But during the winter, I don't feel the need to wash a button-down or long-sleeve pullover that only touched my undershirt and I never broke a sweat or went to a smoke-filled bar.

In other words, if I get out of the shower and I put on a T-shirt and a pullover and go to dinner, I'll come back and hang that pullover back up, figuring that there's no way that I could've "stunk it up" in two hours.

Dovek916

2008-03-07, 01:22

Not to derail the thread, as it is sorta on topic, but what is your favorite piece of clothing and/or combo? I was thinking how some of my most favorite clothing is stuff that I only wear for a few hours at night. I love to go back the next morning and through it on, as it is still clean, and feels comfy.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-03-07, 01:58

Underwear, socks and T-shirts: every day. If it's summer, sometimes 2 a day.

Sweaters and jeans are fine for 4-5 days.

veryamusing - bear in mind that men are in general sweatier than women, so much more likely to need the stuff cleaning sooner - dress shirts in particular (to use your example).

Wouldn't you rather he erred on the side of caution?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-03-07, 05:46

Phew................. this thread stinks (in places).
Is it 1981?

2008-03-07, 06:16

Apart from underwear, I've found clothes to be good for two (perhaps even three) wears before washing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovek916 View Post
Not to derail the thread, as it is sorta on topic, but what is your favorite piece of clothing and/or combo?
White shirt with black pinstripes, black tie, dark grey trousers, black V-neck buttoned sweater, black +red Converse and a black mid-length jacket. Relatively smart but not overly stuffy. That's my Dress To Impress combo.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
veryamusing

2008-03-07, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
veryamusing - bear in mind that men are in general sweatier than women, so much more likely to need the stuff cleaning sooner - dress shirts in particular (to use your example).

Wouldn't you rather he erred on the side of caution?
Um, I'm a guy too...

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-03-07, 09:18

Shirts and underwear are one day. Pants and skirts are one or two days depending on the kind (i.e. a plain cotton skirt might make 2, while 1 day for a nice silk one.) Jeans are 3 days. Socks are generally 2 days. Jackets and coats go almost forever.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
¡Damned!

2008-03-07, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovek916 View Post
Not to derail the thread, as it is sorta on topic, but what is your favorite piece of clothing and/or combo?
Winter: Levis, tight black sweater and black steel-toed engineer boots.
Summer: khakis, black t-shirt and black sandals.

Jackets are my only real weakness in the clothing department. I have more styles and types of jackets than most women have shoes.

Jeans can go a couple days, sweaters or t-shirts a couple if I'm not at a bar the night before.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-03-07, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post

My boyfriend, however, feels that if an article of clothing even *touches* his skin it's dirty and needs to be washed. I know what you're thinking: "What a freaking weirdo!" He uses a different towel after each shower. Oh, and he even wore a new pair of socks everyday for a year, because he disliked wearing "used" socks. Even jeans/dress pants are dirty after they've been worn once.

Our compulsions don't bother either of us, but we vehemently disagree. So, who's right? When are clothes dirty?
Quite honestly... your boyfriend's behavior borders on phobia / OCD. Seriously. If he has these sorts of habits with respect to other aspects of his daily life (constantly hand washing etc) he needs to see a psychologist about that IMO. These things manifest themselves in seemingly normal behavior until after a while they start to take over a person's life.

As for the general question, socks, undershirts, underwear get worn once before washing, while jeans sweatshirts and other non-pressed clothing I generally will wear 2-3 days before washing though not always two consecutive days. Depends on whether I'm going to be mostly in my office those days or out with clients, etc. Also in winter it's easier to get away with because I don't sweat much. In summer my office gets pretty muggy so wearing everything only 1 day is more typical. Also I notice, no matter what BS slogan is on the detergent bottle, and no matter what water temperature we use, frequently washing sweatshirts and color cotton shirts especially, fades them and stretches them more quickly. My sweatshirts get frickin destroyed after several washes to where they look like they're 10 years old. Pisses me off.

Towels we wash once a week or once every 5 or 6 days sometimes. Hopefully, if you did a good job of washing and rinsing yourself, the towel won't be absorbing much dirt at all, although it's funny to note that if you take really hot showers, you will sweat in the shower but be unaware of it for obvious reasons... so I guess if you take super hot showers everyday, your towel might be a little grungier (or "mo' grungy" if you prefer) than if you didn't.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2008-03-07 at 10:03.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-03-07, 11:09

Quote:
Um, I'm a guy too...

Ah, the perils of assumption....I guess I could have checked the little icon thingy, but where's the fun in that!
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-03-07, 11:48

Our habits are as the Moogs'.

Moogs it might be the dryer that's killing your sweatshirts. Try drying them separately at low heat and take them out when they are ~75% dry. I do this to a lot of things (i.e., not just sweatshirts) that I don't want to find "old" after a couple of months, and it helps.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-03-07, 11:50

A new towel every day is a complete waste. Waste of money for the water and detergent to wash them, and you are also cornholing mother nature. I don't think many people do this. I had a great aunt who did this, and it used to really piss me off when she'd be visiting my grandma for 2 weeks and toss 14 fucking towels in the hamper, especially since she had to use a laundromat. Ignorant disrespectful bitch.

*ahem* I'm getting off track.

Jeans are good for several days. They look and feel better when they have a day's worth of creases in them anyway. Shirts are usually wear once and wash, unless I put it on later in the day for some reason. Socks and underwear are every day, for obvious reasons.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-03-07, 12:04

Jeans - until they look dirty, they're OK. That can be anywhere from 1 - 4 or 5 uses. Typically, I will use mine for work around the house or in the yard after a second 'regular' wearing, and that tends to get them too dirty.

Shirts - same as jeans, except usually you can't get more than 2 days wear. If I only wear it at work, and then change when I get home, 2 and maybe 3 days are possible, as long as there was no heavy sweating involved.

Slacks - I usually only wear these for part of a day (work, special occasion) so they can easily get 2 or more uses. Unless they look dirty, smell bad, or just have too many creases and look like they've been around the block too many times, they are fair game.

Undershirts - if it don't smell, it's OK. I typically get 2 uses out of them

Socks and underwear - once and washed, with a possible exception on 'special socks' (woolyes for skiing, etc.)

Towels - at least a week, usually 2, and maybe more. Seriously, all you are using it for is to wipe up clean water after you've just washed yourself. As long as it's hung properly to dry and not mildew, it's perfectly clean. If you've got a bunch of gunk on yourself after you've just showered, you need to work on your showering technique.

We've got 3 kids who are constantly adding to the laundry pile, so anything I can do to minimize impact is great. I hate doing laundry.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-03-07, 12:05

Quote:
He uses a different towel after each shower.
Do you shower together? If you don't time your activities in there properly, he might be wiping up a few million potential babies every time he dries off. Then yeah, you'd want to wash it.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-03-07, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
What's "underwear"?
Sorry I'm late, but I could not resist posting these visual aids.

Hassan i Sabbah

2008-03-07, 12:25

Jeans? Four wears? Four months, more like.
veryamusing

2008-03-07, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Do you shower together? If you don't time your activities in there properly, he might be wiping up a few million potential babies every time he dries off. Then yeah, you'd want to wash it.
We have impeccable timing, thank you!

And it's good to know that the AppleNova community is regularly changing their socks and underwear.
¡Damned!

2008-03-07, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post
Jeans? Four wears? Four months, more like.
For some reason I've always pictured you as a shorts-person, Hassan...you know, pants having the tendency to get caught up in bike chains and whatnot.

Unless in your move to dk you somehow secured one of those shaft-driven Biomegas...in which case I'm insanely jealous.

So it goes.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-03-07, 13:01

Shirts, socks, underwear, all get worn once. Pants, perhaps twice, depends on if I think I'll need them before the weekend when the clothes get washed. Towels get washed weekly.

Everything that gets used gets thrown in the laundry on Sunday. We wash 3 loads, colors, whites, and perm press. We have a front-loading washer that uses like a bajillion times less energy/water/soap than the washer we had before, but we still have the same wash schedule.

real hackers don't use sigs
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-03-07, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Shirts, socks, underwear, all get worn once. Pants, perhaps twice, depends on if I think I'll need them before the weekend when the clothes get washed. Towels get washed weekly.

Everything that gets used gets thrown in the laundry on Sunday. We wash 3 loads, colors, whites, and perm press. We have a front-loading washer that uses like a bajillion times less energy/water/soap than the washer we had before, but we still have the same wash schedule.
I need to get a front-loader as well, but I was hoping to use eleventy-bajillion less energy/water/soap. Oh well, I suppose a bajillion will have to do.

On a similar note: I really would like to eventually get one of those laundry-mat sized front load washers (and dryer too). You know, the ones that you can throw like 2 or 3 sleeping bags in at a time. You could wash the sheets from all the beds in the house at the same time, or multiple blankets/comforters, one dark load for a family of 5, one white load, etc.. That would be awesome!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-07, 13:28

I do laundry once a week or so (7-10 days) - it's just me, so it's never a huge thing - but I also wash my towel then. I have three towels that I rotate out. I use one for the week, it hangs up and dries out until my next shower. I'll throw it in the laundry basket when I leave to do laundry, and I'll take a clean, rolled-up one from the shelf and hang it up in "user position" (and there is one still on the shelf that goes up next time, etc.).

As for what I like to wear, I'm a jeans hound. I'll wear khaki pants to a wedding or funeral (under protest), but it's jeans, white T-shirt and either an "outer shirt" button-down (untucked, always) or sweater/pullover (long-sleeved, always). Shoe-wise, I rotate, depending on where I am, what I'm doing, what day it is, what kind of mood I'm in, etc.

- New Balance running shoes (but I don't run...they're just comfortable and I tend to look a bit sportier in them than I really am
- Vans sneakers (black, with white trim...fell in love with that look living in SoCal, so I always have a pair of Vans...trying to find some orange ones, naturally)
- Brown shoes...not dressy or wingtip, just casual oxford(?) lace-up shoes that I wear with jeans
- Birkies or even covered slip-on type things during summer (and I'll wear the slip-on things in winter with socks often)

I'm not a clothes monkey. I have, exactly:
- two pairs of jeans (one faded, tattered and comfy, one a bit darker and nicer-looking)
- enough white and dark socks, boxers and white T-shirts to go a full two weeks if needed
- the aforementioned four shoes
- about seven button-down shirts (plain, plaid, stripes...different looks/colors)
- three long-sleeve pullovers (T-shirt material, maybe a skootch thicker)
- two fleece pullovers (zip front, kangaroo pouch, etc.) from Old Navy
- One heavy coat
- Two light jackets
- A pair of gloves, and a matching (black) scarf
- One pair khaki pants (pleated, cuffed, no-iron required...always smooth/flat, thank God)
- One necktie (which I never wear) $#%$^! noose...
- about six ball caps (Dr. Pepper, Double Bubble ("Size matters." on the back ), orange Old Navy, UPS Racing/#44 Dale Jarrett, etc.)

That's it. T-shirts, socks and boxers in two small drawers, jeans on top of the drawers and the rest hanging in closet, occupying less than three feet of horizontal space. I could cram everything I own, clothes-wise, into a Mac Pro box.
Boomerangmacuser

2008-03-07, 13:52

+1 for the *understuff* daily and the *overstuff* every coupla days.

Temp and humidity play into just what a coupla days means.

What about bedsheets? I change them every couple of weeks.

I had a roommate in Uni who, when we were gathering laundry to take to the laundromat once, professed that he'd had 3 er... lady guests since he last changed his sheets.

Needless to say we used separate machines.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-03-07, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

Towels - at least a week, usually 2, and maybe more. Seriously, all you are using it for is to wipe up clean water after you've just washed yourself. As long as it's hung properly to dry and not mildew, it's perfectly clean.
Got to remember to check for those sneaky *skid marks*Ahem* not that I'd know about such things, of course, you understand.