turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-26, 14:28

Ken should stop deleting his posts.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-26, 14:30

If that's the contest, Biden is the only sensible choice.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-26, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Ken should stop deleting his posts.
I wrote something and thought better of it.

That's the beauty of forums. We can edit/delete when necessary.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2024-01-26, 17:02

It's well past time for the Boomers to move aside and let younger generations start being in these roles.

it's annoying when these comments are made and you get comments aback of "don't be ageist". Fuck that.

If Biden and/or Trump were in a leadership role at an actual company, they would have been forced to retire years ago.

It's well past time for these two to step aside and let other people in.

I'm still frustrated that Biden said he would only serve oner term, and he went back on that.

That being said, especially after the latest dictator comments from Trump and the Republican governors setting up for a civil war, the only logical choice is Sleepy Joe.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Quagmire
meh

2024-01-26, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, to be fair I'd rather have a senior pilot flying me around (although not too senior, if you know what I mean) than a kid with his/her face stuck in TikTok. Those fools are killing themselves (and others) at an alarming rate.

But, I'll get on your plane, because you seem like the type that wants to Live Another Day!
For every tiktok idiot, there is an 62 year old that can't figure out how to use the FMS, their iPad, or wants to push the boundaries to, " get the mission done" with my experience. Plenty are flying their current plane like it is the MD-88 or DC-9. Or a procedure change they ignore simply because they don't like it. Nothing unsafe in the change, they just don't like changes.

Young or old, there are plenty that shouldn't be in a cockpit.

If their stick of, "mentoring the next generation" is genuine then they should be doing it at the regionals. That is where experience will be most valuable.

They just want to stay at the top and will do anything to stay there.

It's greed. Benefit from the system currently and then change it once it benefits them to do so.

giggity
¡Damned!

2024-01-26, 20:52

She'll never see a dime of it – at 80 she's a few years older than the traitorous pussy-grabber-in-chief – but it'll be a nice nest egg for whatever parties she wills it to. What's most interesting (to me) at this point is what assets Trump has to put up while he appeals. Does he have the cash on hand? Is he really a billionaire and not just a leveraged to the hilt Russian asset? Will BoneSaudi Arabia bail him out like they did Jared? Will Putin if Trump keeps the US border deal and Ukraine funding on indefinite hold? Tune in next week, I guess.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2024-01-26, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
It's well past time for the Boomers to move aside and let younger generations start being in these roles.
Couldn't agree more. There ought to be a law... and yet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I'm still frustrated that Biden said he would only serve oner term, and he went back on that.

That being said, especially after the latest dictator comments from Trump and the Republican governors setting up for a civil war, the only logical choice is Sleepy Joe.
If the Republican Party had righted (no pun intended) itself after Trump and not rushed headlong into becoming a fascism-curious domestic terrorism organization I think Biden would have stepped aside. He knows he's old, but he also knows that he has more foreign policy experience than everyone on the Republican side combined, and shit's going down overseas and at the southern border, alas. Also, he's smart and clever – two things his probable opponent has never been – and truly has empathy for others, something completely lacking from the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
They just want to stay at the top and will do anything to stay there.

It's greed. Benefit from the system currently and then change it once it benefits them to do so.
*Sounds like they'd be perfect in politics!

Seriously though, I'm all for age restrictions and/or limits. Be it President, Justices, pilots, long haul drivers, whatever. Any occupation that has the capacity to cause harm if one of these fuckers falls asleep at the wheel – literally or metaphorically.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2024-01-26 at 22:03.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-01-27, 00:01

Let's face it, who other than old farts can afford to run?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-01-27, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
She'll never see a dime of it – at 80 she's a few years older than the traitorous pussy-grabber-in-chief – but it'll be a nice nest egg for whatever parties she wills it to. What's most interesting (to me) at this point is what assets Trump has to put up while he appeals. Does he have the cash on hand? Is he really a billionaire and not just a leveraged to the hilt Russian asset? Will BoneSaudi Arabia bail him out like they did Jared? Will Putin if Trump keeps the US border deal and Ukraine funding on indefinite hold? Tune in next week, I guess.
Even if he appeals, he has to post the full amount within 30 days. I think she'll see the cash sooner rather than later.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-31, 08:59

America is starting to feel a little like mid-late 90's Turkey...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-31, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
America is starting to feel a little like mid-late 90's Turkey...
Canadian politics aren’t far behind.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-31, 11:44

Well, if we're stupid and/or frustrated enough to hand the reigns to Poilievre, we can start fucking up our social democracy too.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-31, 12:35

Quote:
Well, if we're stupid and/or frustrated enough to hand the reigns to Poilievre, we can start fucking up our social democracy too.
This isn't surprising, given your comment about a dozen posts up. If you think electing an 81-year old, who already isn't capable of running the world's preeminent Western government, to a new four-year term is a "sensible" choice, you'll likely have little problem with the mess Trudeau has made of our democracy.

This is a government so lost, that it is holding down health-care spending costs by euthanizing thousands of its own desperately-ill citizens.

This is a government that faked intelligence against it's political opponents and deployed martial law against public protests.

And faced with the fact the populace has turned on him, he's suddenly holding "secret" discussions with an even more left-wing party to amend election laws that practically no-one thinks is problematic.

Canada's election laws were fine in 2019 and 2021. But the minute Trudeau's popularity dwindles, we suddenly need three-day voting, mail-in ballots, and the ability for one person to vote at multiple locations.

A large swath of the population cannot even afford basic foods, as the Liberals quadruple the carbon tax.

And yet you are somehow worried about Poilievre messing up our social democracy.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-31, 14:41

I'm not arguing Trudeau is good, my sense is simply that Poilievre has shown at every opportunity, every indication of being worse. Trudeau, however, is making it easy to overlook Poilievre's failings. And when we do, things are more likely to get worse for all the people who are the most frustrated with Trudeau today.

Biden's record compares quite favorably to his predecessors. Yes, he's old, he doesn't look good on camera, he looks like he could drop dead at any time. Yet he's been productive and the US has enjoyed one of the strongest post COVID recoveries. If the alternative is Trump, a traitorous, contemptuous, insurrectionist con-man with little regard for science, democratic conventions, law, fairness, the nation's allies... then yeah, I could sleep easy choosing Biden.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-01-31, 14:50

Quote:
I'm not arguing Trudeau is good, my sense is simply that Poilievre has shown at every opportunity, every indication of being worse. Trudeau, however, is making it easy to overlook Poilievre's failings. And when we do, things are more likely to get worse for all the people who are the most frustrated with Trudeau today.
I'm still sort of hoping that Trudeau is acting as a lightning rod for the crazies in the pre-election season and will bow out before the campaign proper begins. I'm not super optimistic he actually will, but it would be a smart move for the Liberals.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-31, 15:32

Trudeau should have stepped down a long time ago, so many screw ups it’s not even funny anymore. Do I think Poilievre is better? Enough said. The two of them should be locked in a room together and left there to rot. We need a real centre party in Canada not the left and right wing nut jobs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-31, 18:10

We're 31 days into 2024 and I'm already sick of the "election" and political slap-fighting going on. Jeez-louise...

It's gonna get so ugly and unhinged, as November approaches. Both sides will be claiming outlandish, moronic shit, the conspiracy clowns will fill their sails, the cable "news" outlets will all be showing their bias and unprofessionalism in various ways (and making themselves part of the story), etc. Can I take a one-year sightseeing trip to Venus or somewhere and just skip 2024 on this planet? Please? I'll help pay for gas!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-31, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Trudeau should have stepped down a long time ago, so many screw ups it’s not even funny anymore. Do I think Poilievre is better? Enough said. The two of them should be locked in a room together and left there to rot. We need a real centre party in Canada not the left and right wing nut jobs.
Middle of the ground folks cannot get elected. The noisy left/right extremists own the show at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
We're 31 days into 2024 and I'm already sick of the "election" and political slap-fighting going on. Jeez-louise...

It's gonna get so ugly and unhinged, as November approaches. Both sides will be claiming outlandish, moronic shit, the conspiracy clowns will fill their sails, the cable "news" outlets will all be showing their bias and unprofessionalism in various ways (and making themselves part of the story), etc. Can I take a one-year sightseeing trip to Venus or somewhere and just skip 2024 on this planet? Please? I'll help pay for gas!
Please, please, take me with you.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-31, 19:58

Just stop watching the news, that's what I do during elections.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-01, 10:09

The worst part isn't the news or what is on TV in general now. I can't make it through my tech blogs without them dumping their political opinions in the writeup. Do I care if you like or hate a particular candidate? No. I just want to know if the new gadget is actually worth looking at.

For me this is the biggest struggle. I can't get way from it no matter where I turn. At this point it isn't like I'm going to change who I'm voting for either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-01, 10:34

True. "Politics" has infected every other field, it seems. Can't read a tech, entertainment or even a sports article/report without the "writer" inserting unsolicited, heavy-handed jabs (or cheerleading) or random insights totally unrelated to what people are expecting to read about. If you're not blatantly writing a political piece of some sort, then keep that out of your writing; keep it to yourself, because it's rarely ever appreciated. It's obnoxious, at best. At worst, it ensures I'll never finish the article. I can't do it.

Yahoo is the worst. They'll run an article about anything - new sneaker styles or fancy new blenders on the market - and can't keep themselves from dropping in some passive-aggressive, out-of-nowhere Trump (or GOP) jab along the way. The lengths they go to doing this, you can tell it's just an obsession on the writer's mind. "I GOTTA get this out into the world, so I'll figure out a way to cram it into this Super Bowl article!"

Please don't. Nobody cares. Stop inserting this nonsense where it isn't expected or has no real place. Just like a political article at TIME having all these random references to Batman movies or the L.A. Dodgers. It's annoying and out-of-place. It doesn't work in that direction either. Some people are just obsessed with this stuff, and wake up every morning with "politics" on their brain. They wallow in the cable news, the blogs, the talking head shows/panels, they get into the weeds over who said what, when, etc. and their mistake is thinking/assuming the rest of the planet is as interested or spun up over it.

We're not.

If I'm reading about backup hard drives or wireless headphones, keep your labored, third-grade playground Trump/Biden jabs out of it. How hard is that? To me, it's a sign of mental illness when you allow some figure - left, right or otherwise - to just live in your head 24/7, to where it affects, and infects, all you do or say in the course of a day. My former mother-in-law is this way, absolutely cannot get Trump out of her hyper-liberal, NPR-donating mind, and brings him up constantly. I'm like "the guy's been out of office for three years...the only people bringing him up are you and your old hippie, Unitarian/Birkenstock friends." I stop just short of suggesting she get a life because I don't wanna be ugly or jerky about it. But damn, it's exhausting. My dad can be the same, in the other direction. Everything's a launching pad for a rant about Biden, COVID, Fauci, "the elites", etc. It just saps my strength, after a full afternoon with either. There's just more to life than this stupid shit, and allowing any one person, or group, to completely override and control your thinking/thoughts. It's as simple as that. There's no badge of honor or nobility in obsession. It's time for the nets and some medication!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-01 at 10:50.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 11:44

Quote:
True. "Politics" has infected every other field, it seems. Can't read a tech, entertainment or even a sports article/report without the "writer" inserting unsolicited, heavy-handed jabs (or cheerleading) or random insights totally unrelated to what people are expecting to read about. If you're not blatantly writing a political piece of some sort, then keep that out of your writing; keep it to yourself, because it's rarely ever appreciated. It's obnoxious, at best. At worst, it ensures I'll never finish the article. I can't do it.
I don't even "surf" the web anymore for exactly this reason. I check the local news, AppleNova, MacRumors (sort of fits in with my job), and YouTube (and I try hard to hit the "Do not recommend channel" on anything that reeks of politics, regardless their fanatical side-picking).

For me, the internet has destroyed "news". There's no longer any editorial, photography is mostly down the tubes, and "reporters" pretty much just sit at their desk copy/pasting the AP or drumming up their opinion-hit-pieces. It's total crap!

And, yes, I agree with you. I can't even read a sports article (ESPN has become a political mess), tech article (used to love Gruber until he started injecting politics into his work), or even check out the reviews for the latest gadget (the so-and-so's be takin' m' gas engines!).

The less "news" the better.

Now, where did I put my shovel? I have a hole to dig (*winks at 709*!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-02-01, 13:08

Quote:
Yahoo is the worst.
Yahoo still exists?

I agree, there is no way out of the political drivel it seems, but not watching news does help. In some ways tech sites are the worst, because people are very strongly on side with one thing or another (computer brand/part supplier etc), and it just feeds off itself into every other discussion. Just tribal nature of humanity I suppose, people get passionate about what they care about for better or for worse. If it wasn't so antagonistic it wouldn't be so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

For me, the internet has destroyed "news". There's no longer any editorial, photography is mostly down the tubes, and "reporters" pretty much just sit at their desk copy/pasting the AP or drumming up their opinion-hit-pieces. It's total crap!
News has always been about making money, like everything else, so they are going to do what earns the most money for the lowest cost. Now days that means using as few reporters as possible. We don't have reporters on local news anymore, just talking heads following the script. I can only think of one or two real reporters locally anymore, the type that do real digging, the rest are just talking heads with a good looking face.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 13:14

Quote:
News has always been about making money, like everything else, so they are going to do what earns the most money for the lowest cost. Now days that means using as few reporters as possible. We don't have reporters on local news anymore, just talking heads following the script. I can only think of one or two real reporters locally anymore, the type that do real digging, the rest are just talking heads with a good looking face.
This!

Just yesterday there was a fire alarm at the brand new In-N-Out Burger (Idaho's first) located at the busiest intersection in the state. Meridian Fire sent two stations, because on any given day there are over a hundred cars in line at that place (it takes 45 minutes plus to get cheap hamburger ). So, how does the local news cover it? With a stock photo of an In-N-Out from some other state and some badly formatted text with bad punctuation.

It used to be that the editor checked your work before it went to print, made sure the photo was a good one, etc. Not any more. Just … whatever!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-02-01, 19:55

I just noticed we've really gone off track here in the trump thread.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-02, 11:41

Quote:
I just noticed we've really gone off track here in the trump thread.
Yes, we have! I guess I should clean it up a bit.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-02-16, 16:18

Judge fines Donald Trump more than $350 million, bars him from running businesses in N.Y. for three years
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-16, 18:09

Start fining his followers/supporters for being meatheads, and the only reason this clown is still with us, in the public eye. How can we miss him if he won't go away? Hell, even Hillary seemed to get the hint after a while, and beat it. And it's been really nice not having to hear her shrill, patronizing sing-songy horseshit (and her Mahalia Jackson/old mammy persona, anytime she's speaking in front of more than 3-4 black people).

Out comes the do-rag, baking apron, rolling pin and the Little Golden Book of Negro Spirituals (half of which she wrote, I'm sure).

Yes, we all like to fit in and relate to our audience. Most of us don't change our entire fucking voice/accent/syntax (and lie about what condiments we carry in our purses) when doing so. Pandering doof. She went away, she couldn't drag Donnie with her?!? If nothing else, Bill would like him around to share pussy-grabbing stories/conquests with.

"Hey, Don...you ever had two Ole Miss sorority chicks on your jock at the same time? February, 1995. Ah'll never forget it!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-16 at 18:23.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 18:13

Quote:
Hell, even Hillary seemed to get the hint after a while, and it's been really nice not having to hear her shrill, patronizing sing-songy horseshit.
Hillary no longer has to make any noise. The hundreds of millions her corrupt dealings landed the family means they can all sit in the sun and pull strings from afar with no noise whatsoever.

¡Damned!

2024-02-17, 09:22

Apparently in order to appeal he has to cover the nut plus interest, so maybe an additional 20%. Donnie's going to need another gift or two from the Persian Gulf. That is, if they think he's still an asset.

So it goes.