2023-12-06, 16:08

Wow!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-07, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I think you could do something not too crazy expensive with an auto switch and one of those cyclone dust separator things.

The other option is to go with a tool system with built in dust collection. I had some guys resurface some badly patched walls and smooth a painted popcorn ceiling in the basement. They used a Festool dust extractor and it worked very well. So if you get all your stuff on the one brand, it will cost a fortune, but it will all integrate: sanders, routers, planer, track saw, table saw, miter saw, etc...

Makita looks to have a decent system as well, and less dollars...

I use a shop vac* with my hand sanders, and just try to use the mitre and table saws outside or with the garage door open.

*** EDIT: I've picked up the habit of calling everything a "shopvac", actually I use a Rigid from Home Despot. They carry all the large filters, and they now have a filtered paper collection bag insert. When you combine the right bag and filter, it gives 99% HEPA level filtration way cheaper than purpose built extractors. I sanded a lot of new poplar casing and refinished a bunch of existing varnished and painted oak casings with this set-up with good performance.
Hmmm....

I have a 12 gallon Craftsman "wet dry vac" that might work for that purpose. Get HEPA filter and bag insert and that might be the ticket. I would still need to rig up saws and drill press... but that might be the best option. Might be better off getting a smaller vac though. The 12 is huge and I got it because bigger is better. It was until I had to handle it for about 20 minutes once.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2023-12-10, 00:31

You’ll really want to set one of those up with a cyclone separator like a dust deputy, trust me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-10, 02:15

I’ve got a guitar shape/design that I really want to make - basically the guts (pickups, bridge, tremolo) of a Fender Jaguar dropped into a cool, funky shape I’ve worked up. Kinda surfy/retro/Willy Wonka. This thread is spurring me to do so!

Gotta buy an alder body blank…
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-12-16, 16:30

Seeking a weird bit of advice. I recently made four insert window frames for my basement windows. The goal was to solve two problems.

First problem: the framers and drywallers took a slapdash approach to the drywall recesses. They're neither square, level, plumb, of uniform height, nor the same size. Despite all the actual metal framed windows being set in the concrete at more or less the same height (1cm variance between the highest and lowest of the four) and same size (32"x19.5"). The only thing going for the existing drywall openings is that they're oversized, so there's lotsa room around the actual window.

Window contractors don't want to touch them - it involves dealing with concrete and interior framing. Which leads to the second problem: the windows are both shit and a pain to replace. Four single panes that slide across across each other horizontally don't do much to stop air flow. So, I drew up a fix. I measured up the largest common square that would fit into each recess and built faux-casings to just slide in. I made them out of 3/4" poplar and finished on all four sides. They snug up to the recessed inner window opening and the outer framing such that they hide the messy work underneath and trim the window.

I gave them a .75" raised back lip as relief all around the (inner) window opening so a sheet of acrylic can bear against as an inner storm window to stop winter drafts. The acrylic insert itself will have a 5/16"x1.5" picture frame surface gluded to it as a trim.

Here's where I should have thought ahead just a little more. I had acrylic inserts cut 1/8" small to allow for movement and compression fit weather stripping. Essentially so it's a simple press fit. However after seeing "Indows" that install using a slick magnetic system, I'm thinking I still have enough latitude in the design to try that. But, I can't find any reasonably priced magnetic roll tape, anyone know where I could source this? I'm thinking maybe I should just stick to the press-fit design and simply add a little tilt-latch or some type of cam to ensure the insert not only snugs the opening but also bears tightly against the raised lip (with its own thin weather strip), essentially two seals at 90 degrees from each other.

Thoughts on this type of thing?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-17, 00:07

Magnetic seals do work well but I would be "cautious" of how well they handle weather so they might need a sealing coat to protect them from moisture. There will be moisture at those windows for sure.

I like the concept for where you are talking too.

For where, Temu is likely the best place to get something like that for "cheap". Something like this one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-12-17, 03:12

I’m trying make sure I manage potential moisture. I sealed up the boxes pretty good. Glued and nailed every joint/seam, and then caulked the back for good measure before two layers of primer and two layers of Advance front and back. I’ll add window well covers on the outside so the actual windows won’t be exposed to direct weather, just moisture in the air.

I’m hoping the acrylic keeps the indoor humidity largely off the glass. And the covers keep the wells mostly dry.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-18, 19:09

Other than adding heating to the window I don't think there is much else you can do for moisture. Sounds like a plan to me!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-12-22, 09:15

I came up with a different solution. I put a thick gasket directly on the inside face of the acrylic so there's nothing cluttering the look when the inserts are off. The gasket has about 3/16" of squish (half of 3/8") or probably a bit more.

I used 1x2's to make an inner retention frame that is not attached to the acrylic, but simply sandwiches it against the faux casing. With the insert test fit, I squished it just a bit to mark a depth line and used that to put four little 7mm pin holes in the inner side casing about 2.25" from each corner. The depth line is about 17/16ths from the lip and allows me use plain old stainless shelf pins as a draw bore to keep everything snug. Removing four pegs is a tad fiddly, but removing the inserts is a once a year operation, so not so bad.