Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-06-27, 21:53

King Kong returns to the big screen.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-06-27, 22:04

Looks good, though I can honestly say I am not well versed in the original.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-06-27, 22:15

I don't remember anything about dinosaurs
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-27, 22:17

The King Kong teaser is supposed to be attached to copies of War of the Worlds, so if you're keen on seeing it on the big screen, it'll be in theaters come mid-week.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-06-27, 22:30

Well, it definitely looks very good. I don't really care about king kong though, so I dunno if I'll see it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-27, 22:48

The trailer is up now, and was shown on SciFi channel tonight.

Looks GREAT.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-27, 22:58

CGI looks almost too crisp. Afraid it will be the next Godzilla remake.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-27, 23:01

Naw, Jackson has stated that King Kong was hands down his favorite movie growing up. I think he's going to be as carefully reverential towards it as possible, while using modern technology to allow the showing of all the kick-ass stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor from the 1933 version.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-06-27, 23:19

Yes, there were dinosaurs in the first movie though understandably just one (maybe some pterasaurs tossed in). The name-brand actors threw me - getting past Jack Black will take a little extra work for me, same for Adrian "I sexually assualted Halle Berry in public and pretended it was all good fun" Brody. Otherwise it looks fun.

Anyone who knows the King Kong story understood the homage to King Kong in the first Jurassic Park MOVIE when the dino got loose back in the continental USA (that was not part of the Crichton novel IIRC).

I still remember seeing the 70's version with Jessica Lange - the heartbeat at the end was a powerfully sad ending for a young kid. Very scary movie.

Hope that PJ got to make the exact movie he wanted.

And that he turns to new pastures entirely after this (not including the Hobbit movie).

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-27, 23:23

I'm hoping he stands firm on his statement that post-King Kong he wants to get back to a good gory zombie movie again.

"I am a Derek! And Derek's never run!"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-27, 23:24

I saw it tonight, totally by accident. I heard it was being shown on NBC during one of their horse balls-eating shows, but not sure when, etc. Was flipping around and caught the entire thing, purely by chance.

It looks neat. I like how they set it back in the old days (I'm a sucker for that 30's/40's stuff) and didn't try to set it in modern day and with an LL Cool J or Weezer soundtrack. When I heard, months ago, that Jack Black was in it, all I could think was "ah, shit...he'll be doing that idiotic wide-eyed freak schtick of his, in full grunge/slacker mode...". Been there, done that...it was cute and funny the first 64 times, Jack.

So I was really happy to see that it's a) set back in the old days and b) he seems to be playing it fairly straight (a little of that idiot goes a REALLY long way).

The CGI looked a bit odd to me, in places. But I realize that perhaps it's not 100% finished at this point.

And, ohmigosh, I think Naomi Watts is such a fox. I don't mind copping to the fact that I'll go see it, just to see her run around for a couple of hours, sweaty and screaming.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-06-27 at 23:29.
SledgeHammer

2005-06-27, 23:24

It was definitely not in Crichton's novel and that really pissed me off when I went to see it, but that is a whole different topic.
EDIT: that's funny, scates, I caught it completely by chance, too. just flippin channels, saw the Universal logo and said, "hey, what's that?"

Last edited by SledgeHammer : 2005-06-28 at 00:27.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-06-27, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
"I am a Derek! And Derek's never run!"
"I kick arse for the Lord!"
¡Damned!

2005-06-28, 05:14

Ooooh. This is exciting.

I like that PJ's gone back to the original for inspiration...dinos and all. I don't remember offhand if the insects (the scene in the trailer with some dude lashing about) were in the original, but they were definitely in the book. Scared the crap out of me as a kid. I'd heard somewhere that in the 'faceoff' scene PJ had added 2 extra tyrannosaurs...but I'm not seeing any evidence of that here.

Ah well. I've been looking forward to this movie. I'll be there.

Oh, and I'll third the sighs on casting Mr. Black. *sigh*

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-28, 10:47

You like Naomi Watts? If you haven't seen Mulholland Drive, get your ass to the movie store NOW.

Best. Lesbian scene. Ever.

Damn, why did I go and think about that movie again. Excuse me, I have to use the bathroom.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-28, 10:53

One step ahead of you there, buddy. Why do you think I came to dig on her so much?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-28, 11:02

You would dig it if you could WHAT on her?

Oh, sorry. I just got back from the bathroom, and my vision is still a little blurry.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-06-28, 11:10

bot, rent bound

g

second mulholland dr....impossible crush on her after that movie, and i usually don't like blondes

best lesbian love scene? how about best masterbation scene also??

sorry, probably sent bot back to the bathroom....

as for king kong...i remember when the jessica lange version came out...ohhh, the scene where king kong pulls her dress down got me somewhat "happy" as a young man
that and logan's run was great for gratitious breast action

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2005-06-28 at 11:18.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-06-28, 11:27

Giggidy, giggidy.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 11:33

¡Damned!

2005-06-28, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
as for king kong...i remember when the jessica lange version came out...ohhh, the scene where king kong pulls her dress down got me somewhat "happy" as a young man
Ooooh yes, I remember it well. KK washing her under the waterfall, then blow-drying her...

I went to go see it with my brother and mother, so I'm sure I had my popcorn bucket firmy centered in my lap.

So it goes.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-06-28, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Looks good, though I can honestly say I am not well versed in the original.
[Frankenfurter voice] Whatever happened to Fay Wray?
[Audience] She went apeshit!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-28, 13:06

OH, YEAH! I like the freaky monster movies! Bring it on!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 13:25

I've gotta admit, my first reaction when hearing Jack Black being cast was a hearty "WHAT THE F*CK?" But you know, I think he can play the smarmy yet calculating filmmaker/promoter just fine. In retrospect, we'll see how good a casting job it is, but so far Jackson has done a great job with selecting actors.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-28, 13:33

I really wish NYC still looked like that
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-28, 14:57

At that Kong Is King site, there are cool "behind the scenes" features (videos, storyboards, interviews, etc.) that show the CGI folks "aging" NYC, and inserting digital skylines, vehicles, matte paintings, etc. to make it look like 1930's New York.

Cool stuff to see.

As for Jack Black, he comes across okay in this trailer. No problem. He probably DOES play that type of role well, and that's great. It's just I've never seen him that way, and could only imagine the "Orange County"/"Saving Silverman" (and Tenancious D) Jack Black we're all famililar with.

He might actually be okay in this...seems so in the trailer.

BTW, have you guys seen how much weight Peter Jackson has lost?!?

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Best. Lesbian scene. Ever.
The downside is that the DVD has no chapter markers to fast-forward with...not that I would know that for any particular reason...*cough*

But yeah, anyway...King Kong...rock on.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-06-28, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
BTW, have you guys seen how much weight Peter Jackson has lost?!?

Yeah, no kidding. I swear he dropped 200 lbs!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-28, 16:18

He doesn't even look like the same person! I was watching an online interview and not paying attention, and I just thought it was some random crew member. Then it showed his name and it hit me "holy cow!"

If he'd get a bit of a hair/beard snip and a trim, he'd be a pretty handsome guy. Who knew?

Amazing how different he looks, compared to how he appeared on the Oscars year before last. Was he ill, or did he have that bypass surgery? Or did he just alter his eating/exercise habits?

Whatever he did, it certainly took!

This movie isn't out until December, so I'm sure those CGI shots are going to tighten up and get dialed-in REALLY well (they certainly did in "LOTR"), so I'm not getting too hung up on the "plastic" look of the dinosaurs in this trailer...I doubt those artists have worked their full magic on them yet.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-28, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
This movie isn't out until December, so I'm sure those CGI shots are going to tighten up and get dialed-in REALLY well (they certainly did in "LOTR"), so I'm not getting too hung up on the "plastic" look of the dinosaurs in this trailer...I doubt those artists have worked their full magic on them yet.
Yeah, and you know with Jackson involved, those guys are using Shake and a whole farm of PM G5s! This movie will kick tail!