User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

WWDC '07 invites being sent out

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WWDC '07 invites being sent out
Gizzer

2007-02-07, 17:56

AppleInsider have details of the WWDC 07 invites being sent to developers.

Steve will obviously announce the Top Secret features at the event, but would it be safe to assume that it will add at least another month's delay to the release of Leopard? I say this because Apple would then need at least that time to start the whole media saturation campaign required to drum up public interest.

OR

Will Apple have released Leopard prior to WWDC?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-02-07, 18:02

Apple has always said "Spring 2007." As discussed in this thread, June is technically part of the spring. My guess is if Leopard isn't out by WWDC '07 then that will be the release date. Gives them some room to play with.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Buffalo
Formerly “Oyarses”

2007-02-07, 18:03

They had better release it before WWDC because I'm waiting for it's release before I get a new computer. However, something tells me that they're going to wait for WWDC to announce Leopard because they would want a lot of media there for the publicity of it's release.
Gizzer

2007-02-07, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Apple has always said "Spring 2007." As discussed in this thread, June is technically part of the spring. My guess is if Leopard isn't out by WWDC '07 then that will be the release date. Gives them some room to play with.
Yes, but if it is announced in June at the conference, I'm thinking it might be July before the actual release

Purely because you then need a month or so of press hype in order to get up the interest.
rasmits
rams it

2007-02-07, 18:41

Those are really ugly invitations.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-07, 18:47

I agree. I really don't like the backdrop.
BFG

2007-02-07, 18:49

Question: probability of Apple holding back an update to the MacPro's and Apple displays until WWDC? - they introduced the G5 at this event and yet the MacPros arn't really the main target of those at wwdc?

Im party asking because im itching to upgrade. My work is slowed by my acient G4 and yet i can/am prepared to hold out until they next revision, IF it comes by June!

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-07, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I agree. I really don't like the backdrop.
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Time Machine.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-07, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Time Machine.
I realize that. It's still ugly.
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-02-07, 19:42

"time machine invites" hmmmm.. Could that perhaps mean ..leopard?..

What Hardwares d'ya reckon will be released? (I'm not gonna even ask about software )

~/Suddoo
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-02-07, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer View Post
Yes, but if it is announced in June at the conference, I'm thinking it might be July before the actual release

Purely because you then need a month or so of press hype in order to get up the interest.
I disagree. Why can't you have all the marketing ready to go and launch with the announcement? The Mac faithful buy everything the day of the announcement anyway, a month wouldn't really change anything other then hold outs and switchers who, after the marketing campaign is launched and initial buyers report their using, will be inclined to make a decision anyway.

All of this is pure conjecture though, we'll see what happens.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-02-08, 00:41

I'm looking forward to seeing (and playing with) the newest Leopard goodies whenever they're announced. I'm also glad I don't have to worry about going out and buying Leopard once it's released; ADC Select has its perks.

It's a pity I won't be able to make it to WWDC, at least this year; though I'm sure my checking account is breathing a sigh of relief, especially after the beating it took during MWSF.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-08, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddoo View Post
"time machine invites" hmmmm.. Could that perhaps mean ..leopard?..
Leopard is already slated for release near or before WWDC. This isn't telling us or alluding to anything we don't already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddoo View Post
What Hardwares d'ya reckon will be released? (I'm not gonna even ask about software)
Probably no new hardware unless Apple has something big enough to demand a major conference rather than a private press event. WWDC is, as the name says, a developer conference and is not intended to appease the general public. It's pretty rare for products to be introduced at WWDC and it is unwise to hype expectations for new products upon WWDC.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BFG

2007-02-08, 09:15

Quote:
Probably no new hardware unless Apple has something big enough to demand a major conference rather than a private press event. WWDC is, as the name says, a developer conference and is not intended to appease the general public. It's pretty rare for products to be introduced at WWDC and it is unwise to hype expectations for new products upon WWDC.
Brad do you think we will see updated MacPro's and Displays before WWDC then? I originally felt a late feb/or march date might be a likely candidate after the no show at the Expo - but with WWDC on the horizen i started to think they'd wait...

i wish they wouldn't i want to upgrade before the end of the tax year!!

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-02-08, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
It's pretty rare for products to be introduced at WWDC and it is unwise to hype expectations for new products upon WWDC.
Based on history, I disagree with your statement

2003 - Introduced PowerMac G5, iSight (famous 3GHz in a year speech)
2004 - 20, 23 & 30" DVI Displays
2005 - Podcasting, Intel announcement, Marklar exists (no new hardware)
2006 - Introduced Mac Pro
2007 - ???
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 19:45

Or another way of looking at it...

2003: Dev workstations, new hardware for devs to leverage
2004: Dev displays
2005: Nothing but developer-oriented strategies, and oh, NO HARDWARE (Shouldn't this have been left blank?)
2006: Dev workstations

Dunno, looks like a pretty reasonable sort of announcements for a dev conf.
BFG

2007-02-09, 07:28

These are primarily not 'dev' machines though - its the creative industry. And i fail to see the real advantage to holding updates until events such as WWDC.
mooty

2007-02-09, 07:58

if WWDC 07 is going to be the release date of Leopard then there is definitely going to be a pre-announcement on the OS to show its 'secret' features, as undoubtedly they will need wider testing than just at Apple?