Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Official Unlocked iPhones sold in Germany - for €999

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Unlocked iPhones sold in Germany - for €999
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-21, 07:41

Vodafone had sued T-Mobile in Germany over the fact that the iPhone can only be used in T-Mobile's network. After a bit of back and forth, T-Mobile is now going to sell unlocked iPhones, at least for a limited time (I can't find an English-speaking source, but there is an article in Spiegel). You too can own an unlocked iPhone for only €999 (almost $1500 at the current exchange rate)! Also, if you bought yours in Germany after November 19, you can have it unlocked for free.

I guess we now know that the iPhone is subsidized, if not by the carriers then by Apple. I'm sure there was a provision for unlocked phones in the contract between Apple and carriers all along, especially in Europe. T-Mobile has announced that they will look into their options, and possibly countersue Vodafone for damages, so the fun continues. Plus, the launch of the iPhone in France is promising even more fun, due to the way French law does not seem to even allow tying a phone to a carrier for a limited time.

Edit: ArsTechnica has the story now in English.

Last edited by ghoti : 2007-11-21 at 10:53.
Jerman

2007-11-21, 07:56

I find it interesting that you can have your iPhone unlocked for free... Who would pay the really high price for an unlocked one? I would think even after cancellation fees, purchasing it and then having it unlocked would be cheaper. Is there something I am completely missing here?
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 08:05

Euro1000!

That's absurd.

I'm (was) looking forward to getting an (unlocked) iPhone "soon". I guess not. I'll wait until there is a E500 option. I guess it might be a while. Meh. Whatever.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-21, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Plus, the launch of the iPhone in France is promising even more fun, due to the way French law does not seem to even allow tying a phone to a carrier for a limited time.
Well, the French iPhone will be available unlocked, and the rumored figure was more 600-ish.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, the French iPhone will be available unlocked, and the rumored figure was more 600-ish.
But there cannot be a real price difference between the two countries due to the EU free trade system. If the rumor were correct, the German operator would insta-drop the price as soon as the phone became available in France.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-21, 10:39

They're only selling the high-priced unlocked one until they get the current ruling overturned or can do something else (hence also the price I guess). The free unlocking may be there to stay, though. And that is also the more interesting option in any case, because AFAIK the penalty for leaving a contract early is not so severe in Germany.