Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The new iPad!
Page 8 of 18 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-27, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
I actually don't want either product (Kindle or iPad).

By the time you have a functional keyboard and cell service, I'd rather be using a 13" MBP or MBA with a tethered iPhone.
I don't disagree with your purchasing habits, but that's at least $1600 worth of product.

I'll be waiting to make a decision until I can get my hands on one and see how the keyboard dock works. If I can use this to replace my iPhone (i.e., if Skype works reasonably well and I can replace texting through an App), I'll probably buy one. I have my doubts that that will be possible--I call very little on my cell, but I text a reasonable amount and couldn't really give that up. If I could, however...

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 14:46

It's looking like that case for it is going to be almost mandatory. It covers the screen, and folds backwards so you can sit the iPad at an angle. A high angle for watching movies, or a low angle for typing.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

That keyboard dock and prop-up case thing look pretty cool. Camera adapters too. I will definitely be buying probably the middle 3G variety. Or wait... I should hold off until next year for the 4G model.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Miko
Veteran Member

Where the hell is 3.x or 4.0!!!

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  

To me the really limiting piece is that it runs the iPhone OS.

So very many things I want to do require OS X software.

For instance, if I'm making a Keynote presentation, I'm usually using Photoshop to get the images how I want, perhaps editing some audio clips..etc.

All of that would be difficult and/or a pain on the iPad.

rdlomas

2010-01-27, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
I don't disagree, but that's at least $1600 worth of product.
I guess my point is that I already have such devices and since the iPad can't replace all that I can do with those, I'd still need to have them in addition to the iPad, which totally negates the iPad purchase for me.

Does that make sense?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-27, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Bonney View Post
From the iPad page on Apple.com:

Accessories
There are lots of great accessories that have been specifically designed for iPad. The Keyboard Dock, for instance, is a dock with a full-size keyboard. There’s also a standalone Dock. And because iPad has built-in Bluetooth 2.1, it’ll work with an Apple Wireless Keyboard, too...

BT keyboard profile FTW
My eventual iMac will include a BT keyboard but I'll still pick up the keyboard dock. I think the stand function will be valuable, out and about. Plus, I'm guessing constantly switching the BT keyboard pairing from the iMac to the iPad would get old quick. Also: Batteries.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-27, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
It's looking like that case for it is going to be almost mandatory. It covers the screen, and folds backwards so you can sit the iPad at an angle. A high angle for watching movies, or a low angle for typing.
That case is pretty clever. It'll be $99 though, knowing Apple.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-01-27, 14:50

The Developer Area is down right now.. New SDK is going up...
Will be interesting to see how the iPhone / iPad stuff all plays out.

Can't wait to play with the Simulator.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-27, 14:51

Quote:
I guess my point is that I already have such devices and since the iPad can't replace all that I can do with those, I'd still need to have them in addition to the iPad, which totally negates the iPad purchase for me.

Does that make sense?
Yeah: perfectly. It's the predicament I'm in too (I edited my post too late to reflect that). I have those, but my iPhone is of the EDGE variety, and has a badly cracked screen... and my MBP is getting old and is far too big for me to carry around much.

I'm hoping I can replace my iPhone with this sucker... if not, I may or may not be interested in the WiFi only, $500 version.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-01-27, 14:51

I like it very much and might end up getting one if it handles all right in real life. But I'm a bit miffed that it doesn't come with a GPS receiver which would seem to be a logical feature considering the map app.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 14:52

I guess there's no stylus.

Fullthrottledesigns

2010-01-27, 14:53

I will just continue to carry around my laptop thank you, let me know when I can get an iPhone on something other than AT&T.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-27, 14:53

Per the tech specs page, the 3G version supports "Assisted GPS."

rdlomas

2010-01-27, 14:55

It was also interesting that we heard nothing about any potential content deals for TV shows or newspapers or magazines or really any of that.

I wonder if that was truly all just BS rumors or if things fell apart down the stretch in negotiations.

It's a bummer, because this device could really cater to more of the media centric stuff rather than putting in strange versions of Pages/Numbers, etc.

Yes it can "do" the media stuff, but really still not in a way we're already doing it with iPhone apps and the Internet.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 14:55

My question for Steve would be how he envisions current iPhone owners using the iPad. Essentially the things that make the iPad unique from the iPhone are:

- hardware keyboard dock
- iWork
- iBooks, though that may also be ported to the iPhone at some point
- Paint app with a usable screen size

I still need a phone, so I'm going to be keeping my iPhone. I like a lot of things about the iPad but so much of it is duplicated functionality. Being able to write on it makes it attractive though, especially for the price.

But I can't play World of Warcraft on it. Or use Photoshop or VPN into work etc. etc. etc. I can't really see any way to justify it for myself right now even though I think it's very cool. I dunno, maybe there's something I haven't realized about it yet that will click with me.

luxuryreplica

2010-01-27, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I guess there's no stylus.
This would probably work, but it's edge is rather thick for any real detailed drawing.

zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-27, 14:56

Quote:
To me the really limiting piece is that it runs the iPhone OS.

So very many things I want to do require OS X software.

For instance, if I'm making a Keynote presentation, I'm usually using Photoshop to get the images how I want, perhaps editing some audio clips..etc.

All of that would be difficult and/or a pain on the iPad.
This must have been a source of major debate: but I cannot get over the fact that it syncs with Windows machines, which must have been a consideration. A (nearly) stand-alone computer that allows cross platform syncing. It's just... strange.

¡Damned!

2010-01-27, 14:57

So did we figure out if Safari on iPad supports Flash? Because, you know, Hulu.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 14:59

So...there was no official, final release date/timeframe given? I don't recall hearing (and they have a little e-mail signup at their site to be "notified" when the thing is ready for order).

I know this is goofball wishful thinking, but what are the chances a few extra features (iSight) get slid in/tacked on between now and full production/release?

I now all the "beauty shot" photos show a clean, iSight-less bezel. But maybe they just didn't think it was worthy of mention and are holding it back as a nice surprise? I have a strange feeling not everything is 100% dialed-in and set-to-go (otherwise we'd know some more info on dates and releases).

And then I woke up.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-27, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
So did we figure out if Safari on iPad supports Flash? Because, you know, Hulu.
It doesn't appear to. The demos show the little lego brick ? filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
This must have been a source of major debate: but I cannot get over the fact that it syncs with Windows machines, which must have been a consideration. A (nearly) stand-alone computer that allows cross platform syncing. It's just... strange.
That's what I don't get. Does it require syncing to complete setup? I mean, you can download movies, music and books straight to the device...manage the 3G connection from the device...and upload photos directly to the device. You almost don't even need a "real" computer, unless it requires it to complete setup.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-27, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
So...there was no official, final release date/timeframe given? I don't recall hearing (and they have a little e-mail signup at their site to be "notified" when the thing is ready for order).

I know this is goofball wishful thinking, but what are the chances a few extra features (iSight) get slid in/tacked on between now and full production/release?

I now all the "beauty shot" photos show a clean, iSight-less bezel. But maybe they just didn't think it was worthy of mention and are holding it back as a nice surprise? I have a strange feeling not everything is 100% dialed-in and set-to-go (otherwise we'd know some more info on dates and releases).

And then I woke up.
Release date is in the top left corner of the iPad product page. Late March for Wi-Fi, April for 3G.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 15:02

That was my other question...so it has a USB port, and you can connect your digital camera to it? Or a thumb drive or iPod or whatever? Because if so, yeah...lots of people would probably just get this, call it a "cool netbook" and be done with it (no other computer needed).

My sister is already rolling her spare change...

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-27, 15:03

Ha! Thanks for reminding me. I think I have about $600 in state quarters in a bin I started tossing them into since they started coming out in '99.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-27, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That was my other question...so it has a USB port, and you can connect your digital camera to it? Or a thumb drive or iPod or whatever? Because if so, yeah...lots of people would probably just get this, call it a "cool netbook" and be done with it (no other computer needed).

My sister is already rolling her spare change...

It doesn't have a USB port, but there's a dock connector-to-USB (and dock connector-to-SD-slot) adaptor.

I'm just wondering if it requires a "home base" computer to setup.

Wrao
Yarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I thought Jobs would never allow such a thing as a keyboard...

I did too, but then you consider that the tablet really isn't a 'take with you anywhere' sort of device, and it does make sense to have your dock also be a keyboard.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

I think the only one that makes sense for me and the one I'd consider buying is the $499 one. Like Robo said it's a direct shot at netbooks. After that it just gets too expensive for me. I already have desktop/laptop computers plus two smartphones. I can't really justify having another monthly for 3G. That doesn't mean I don't want it though!

zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-27, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
That's what I don't get. Does it require syncing to complete setup? I mean, you can download movies, music and books straight to the device...manage the 3G connection from the device...and upload photos directly to the device. You almost don't even need a "real" computer, unless it requires it to complete setup.
Yeah: I'm having a hard time with this. I think if it's your first computer, perhaps you don't need it--but that they assume for most people, they'll at least transfer their libraries, etc.

One thing that was left out completely (as far as I saw) was how this sucker interacts with MobileMe. Perhaps that explains some of the gaps in how the iPad is supposed to interact with "real" computers?

But in some ways, this thing is a bit of an enigma: can it replace my phone (maybe?); can it replace/function as my laptop (probably); can it replace my desktop workstation (absolutely not). So maybe that's why it's still designed to play nice with workstation users?

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:06

No USB port, only the dock connector. One of the adapters is a dock-to-USB adapter so you can plug your camera directly into the iPad. It's basically the same thing as the iPhone, where you can power it with a dock-to-USB cable with a power adapter on the end.

Since it's running the iPhone OS it wouldn't recognize a thumb drive I don't think.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-27, 15:06

No multitasking kills it for me. I can (sort of) understand not having it on the iPhone, but on a device with a 9.7" display? I don't get it.