Ding Dong, My Mac is dead...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ding Dong, My Mac is dead...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 08:53

Unfortunately, the munchkins aren't running around throwing a party because of it!

Well I woke up this morning to find a kernal panic. No big deal I think, I'll just reboot and it'll be fine. Only my fifth kernal panic since getting the Mini in March. I reboot and watch my icons dance in the dock. Then, kernal panic! Well, maybe it just needed a little down time. I turned it off and gave it a few minutes, reboot, kernal panic.

Now I'm starting to panic. Lets see, last back up...never! Crap! Ok, I'll try the safe mode I saw in the sticky. It doesn't seem to realize what I'm talking about and, you guessed it, kernal panic. Ok, Tiger DVD boot, that's the best I can do. I hold down the "C" key after loading in the Tigder DVD and reboot.

My Mac looks at me through it's big monitor and say, "What is a "C" key, kernal panic. Needless to say I really have no clue what to do from here. I can't even get this thing to load from my DVD. I am currently looking at my Mac boot up screen that is white with the grey apple and the spinning black bars. Well the bars aren't spinning and it hasn't moved on in over five minutes.

I just held in the power button and am letting it load again on it's own. It managed to mount my FW drive and the Tiger DVD, but then you guessed it, kernal panic.

help.

* See sig for Mac info.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
scrouds

2005-11-02, 09:12

ok, reset PRAM by holding down command-option-p-r

reset NVRAM: hold down command-option-o-f
type: reset-nvram
(Press Return)
type: reset-all
(Press Return)

Finally, if that doesnt work, try starting up wihth the hardware check CD. Put that in the drive, hold C
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-11-02, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Only my fifth kernal panic since getting the Mini in March.
That's an awful lot of kernel panics. I've had, maybe, ten KP's since I started using OS X at version 10.0, and that includes the ones I got directly after putting a bad stick of RAM in my old Blue and White G3.

Did you upgrade the RAM in your mini?

Ugh.
BenP

2005-11-02, 10:38

I second spotcatbug's opinion. I've never had a kernel panic and I've used OS X for four years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 11:34

Well, I was able to reset my PRAM and NVRAM only after I figured out...again...that I have to remove my keyboard from my KVM and connect it directly to the Mac.

After that I was able to boot the Mac normally. I changed my startup disk to my Tiger DVD so I could repair disk permissions. After starting I seem to have gotten the text version of my kernal panic.

Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.0.0: Sat Mar 26 14:15:22 PST 2005; root:xnu-729.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC
Memory access exception (1,0,0)
ethernet MAC address:xX:XX:XX:XX:XX
ip address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Waiting for remote debugger connection.

Trying another reboot...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 11:39

While attempting to verify permissions I got the same basic error. It was a little different on the top info, but the bottom was the same; Memory Access...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-11-02, 12:15

sounds like a hardware error...
your data should be fine
fire off a phone call to applecare.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-02, 12:26

Yes, you've still got time left on that one year coverage...I'd contact Apple, for sure!

I've had ONE kernal panic - using Jaguar - in the entire time I've used OS X (since the Public Beta, way back when).

To have five in such a short time, and over and over again...

I'd get Apple involved at this point, because that can't be any fun! Something's obviously "off" and wrong, I'd think. Faulty RAM, glitchy hardware, etc.?
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-11-02, 12:27

Still sounds like bad RAM to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 12:30

I finally got into the Apple Hardware test, this is my install disk instead of the Tiger disk. Someday I might get the right disk from the start. Also, you have to hold down the Option key instead of the "C" key like in the FAQ. Might be a Mini thing, either way the test is running now. I'll run it three times to see the result. Best out of three!

See the other side of this is the RAM is from OWC with me installing it. I couldn't see paying Apple that much for 1GB of RAM. I'm not even sure what happened to my original 256MB stick either.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-02, 12:38

I would still suggest removing the self-installed RAM and see if the panics go away. You need to find your original 256MB stick!
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-11-02, 12:42

Yeah, the newer install discs have the hardware test and install partitions on the same media so you need to use option to get to the hardware test... a mod/admin could add that to the FAQ entry to prevent confusion in the future.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I would still suggest removing the self-installed RAM and see if the panics go away. You need to find your original 256MB stick!
I'm looking for it now. I've even got my wife helping in the search since I have to go to a few job sites in a few minutes.

The first run on the hardware test passed with no issues. I'm on run number 2 now.

Edit: My wife found the RAM for me. It's in my 64bit PC right now. So I plan to run the hardware test for the three runs and then later this afternoon get the 256 back in. That is going to be torture for me! As it is a Mini just isn't enough power for all I do, knock my memory down to 256 and I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-11-02, 12:49

Quote:
Also, you have to hold down the Option key instead of the "C" key
That's expected behaviour if you're using a PC keyboard the command and option keys are swapped.

OS X can swap them back in software, but that's exactly what it's doing. Obviously this requires it to be actually booted.
staph
Microbial member

2005-11-02, 12:50

Quote:
As it is a Mini just isn't enough power for all I do, knock my memory down to 256 and I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.
Was there a warranty on the RAM? A lot of RAM from reputable suppliers comes with a lifetime warranty.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Was there a warranty on the RAM? A lot of RAM from reputable suppliers comes with a lifetime warranty.
I think OWC does have the one year warranty on its memory. I guess I can run on the 256 until a new 1GB would come in. Though it is passing its hardware tests right now. The second run has run a passed for the second time. Maybe it isn't seeing the possible memory error? Is that possible for the hardware test to miss?

staph
Microbial member

2005-11-02, 13:09

Quote:
I think OWC does have the one year warranty on its memory. I guess I can run on the 256 until a new 1GB would come in. Though it is passing its hardware tests right now. The second run has run a passed for the second time. Maybe it isn't seeing the possible memory error? Is that possible for the hardware test to miss?
Certainly is.

Throw in the 256MB, and if it magically becomes stable you can be pretty sure you have a winner.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-02, 14:05

Although it would be stable but slower than shit.

I'd second the call for bad RAM. Seems to be one of the few things that still throws OSX into KP mode.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
dougiemac

2005-11-02, 15:04

Yeah, I had some bad Samsung ram but I got it replaced under the warranty and haven't had a KP since. *knock on wood*
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 15:47

I'm at a plant site right now, but my wife has been running the hardware test over an over for me. It is on run 6 with no errors. I'll put the 256 back in when I get home.

It seems to me that the HW test should find something if the RAM was bad. I'll have to say though it sure looks like it is the RAM. Why would the HW test miss it in the extensive search?

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-02, 15:54

It doesn't always find bad RAM, although I can't say for sure why. If you pull the RAM out and it's happy, that should be proof enough.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-02, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
That's an awful lot of kernel panics. I've had, maybe, ten KP's since I started using OS X at version 10.0, and that includes the ones I got directly after putting a bad stick of RAM in my old Blue and White G3.

Did you upgrade the RAM in your mini?
Thats a lot, I've NEVER, had one on my old G4 PowerMac.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-02, 16:31

I've had one in my life... and I had 27 apps open at the time.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-02, 16:34

n/m
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-11-02, 19:31

OWC usually warrantees memory for life.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 20:26

Well, after twelve runs I am finally home and the Mini had zero errors on its HW test. I'll change out the RAM after I get a little food and drink in me, coffee that is.

Last edited by turtle : 2005-11-02 at 20:43.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 20:30

Talk about getting your hopes up!

I finished the 12th test and ejected the disk and rebooted. My system loaded flawlessly. I got the see my desktop picture and all the logon items loaded. I was commenting to my wife how this seems odd...then...kernel panic...

RAM swap after coffee!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 22:28

Well the old 256 stick is back. At least I'm pretty sure it is the original. Does anyone know if this label is the right one?

This message is being posted from my Mini also. So I ended my last session on the Mini with a kernel panic and started this one fresh. No issues. It is Folding@Home and all. Now I have to say I don't know how people actually use a computer with only 256MB of RAM anymore...Maybe this will be just enough to make me order my Quad PM?

Looks like a call to OWC for a RAM replacement.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Although it would be stable but slower than shit.
Great prediction, right on track. It is so slow. I have to remember to never look at my widgets.

So now my question is, should I leave in the 256 for a while to make sure it was only my RAM. After all this it really seems it must have been my RAM though. Then there will be shipping time to get the replacement from OWC. I think I just answered my question...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-02, 23:15

Is there a way to see my kernel panic log? I guess the better question is how do I see it? I'm interested to see what it shows.

I have also submitted my RMA request with OWC and look forward to hearing from them in the morning.