Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Attn Milwaukee Types

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Attn Milwaukee Types
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-04, 13:38

Wondering if any of you can recommend your favorite restaurants within walking distance of the Theatre / Midwest Airlines center?

I'm thinking either Mader's or Turner Restaurant for some nice German cuisine... anyone here from GM?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-11-04, 14:20

I live in the Milwaukee area, but unfortunately, I'm pretty new here and don't know much of what's around. Plus I'm poor, so for me, going out pretty much equals Subway or something like that. However, the Milwaukee paper has a dining section that's pretty decent. You can check it out at www.jsonline.com. Hope that helps, sorry i can't offer more.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-11-04, 16:39

Moogs, Mader's is supposed to be THE BOMB. I was in Milwaukee back in July but didn't have time to go there. I ended up eating at an Irish Pub about a block from the river... about a block west of the river, toward the American Airlines Convention Center.

Also, there are some good beer joints toward the lake... local brews. Look for the little blonde bartender in the BBQ version and her super-shapely brunette helper. Hubba hubba. It MIGHT be the Water Street Brewery....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-04, 16:47

Thanks Drew. Mader's was the place we just decided on, and you've solidified the choice I must say. Going to be the better half of the Dinner - Keith Urban concert evening in my estimation, due in no small part to getting reamed up the ass by ticketmaster once again... but should be a fun night.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-11-04, 18:02

We stayed at the Wyndham, which adjoins one of Milwaukee's MANY theatres. I was only there for two days/nights, but if I'd been there longer I'd've been tempted to see something. Interestingly, I saw a thing for this Keith Urban person on iTMS today but didn't have time to look him up. Hope it's a good show.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-11-04, 19:00

Take a cab (not too far) to SANFORD'S
Sanford D'Amato was a James Beard award winner a few years ago and Milwaukee is lucky to have him.
expensive, but really really worth it.

He's opened another less expensive place in the third ward (another short cab ride) called COQUETTE CAFE I haven't eaten there yet but freinds have told me it's pretty good.

One joke i've always made about Milwaukee is that it's Blackhawk (native american) for shitty Italian food. But the funny thing is every Milwaukean can reel of a couple "great" Italian places, but they are wrong.

If you are brave try
Real Chili good and inexpensive.

Mader's is ok, (it's certainly not great) but it's german which is....well
they make great cars.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Last edited by SKMDC : 2004-11-04 at 19:16. Reason: Maders comment
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-05, 01:35

I dunno man... I just got back and I have to say... while the atmosphere at Mader's was just OK, the food (if you get the authentic stuff) was just awesome. And we have a really good German restaurant near where I live, so I have something legitimate to compare it to.

I mean German food in general is not as nuanced or fluffed up as say, French food... much heavier (and manly if I may say so). But when you get the real stuff. Holy crap. It's so good that you keep eating after you're full and you don't even notice.

More tomorrow (err... later today) but it was great.