User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Do Browser Homepages Slow Down the Internet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Do Browser Homepages Slow Down the Internet?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2013-07-15, 14:26

Someone was asking for "new homepage" advice, and I said "blank" because not having to load a page every time a tab or window is opened speeds up the browser. I was going to say it saves bandwidth, too, but then I realized that, while obviously true, I have no idea how much that would actually affect things. Google is being oddly unhelpful... Do any of you know how much bandwidth is wasted each <unit time> by browsers unnecessarily loading a homepage? And is it enough to measurably affect bandwidth or latency for everyone else?

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2013-07-15, 14:37

That's an interesting question - I was just hearing on Science Friday last week that every tweet uses the equivalent of 0.25 W-h of electricity. I'm assuming that's calculated by taking the total power usage of the data centers that host Twitter and dividing it by the number of tweets.

I found an article that investigated the power usage of a single Google search:

http://greenmonk.net/2010/04/28/clou...stems-vendors/

It's from a few years ago but it's still interesting.

I'm not sure how much this affects things like latency or bandwidth for other users. Obviously, when a particular website gets very popular, it can slow the site down for everyone, but I don't know enough about networking to say if more users will always slow it down or if that only kicks in once you go over a certain limit. Maybe it does, but it's imperceptible.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-07-15, 18:40

You'd also have to factor in which users have browser caches turned on or off as well. For some users, "loading" a page isn't really loading it, it's simply accessing a recently cached version of that page that's saved on their computer somewhere. I think a lot of us forget about that because really fast connections, which most of us here have, mean caching pages isn't really that necessary anymore.

Come waste your time with me