AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AppleTV Take 2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleTV Take 2
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 12:57

Waiting for final specs still, but at least the rumor of being able to rent directly from AppleTV is true. That's huge IMO.

It may be time to get one....

Obviously from the picture, there is no optical drive. I really didn't expect one, but would have loved one - especially Blu-ray.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 13:02

Price drop of $70 I see.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 13:03

It's just a software update for older AppleTVs - that is awesome. It'll make for some good PR after the whole iPhone price drop.

Of course there is a price drop on this as well for 'entry level' but at least it's not $200.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
faust

2008-01-15, 13:45

I'm sooo happy that the update is free for those of us with the older unit.

Have to be honest, just the other day I thought of seeling my unit cause it doesn't get a lot of use. But now I think I'll kill the Netflix account and make better use of the ATV.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2008-01-15, 13:46

Apple did right IMO

You "must" get the thing as close to $199 as possible for more sell thru.
The ability to run sans computer is big
The 5.1 surround is big and licensed HD content from iTunes is big.

I'll pony up for one damn soon. I like.

omgwtfbbq
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-15, 14:45

Snore.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-01-15, 14:52

Oh, I think it's much closer to be being a killer product though. Apple's trouble is they're going against digital cable/satellite packages with "free" DVRs and instant movie rentals already. It's a far more attractive product now, but I just don't know how you break through that.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-15, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Snore.
Actually the price drop plus rentals plus direct download makes it significantly more enticing than before. If only Apple integrated analog video support. Also Apple needs more regular TV content, but the movies are a good start. The price cut is also significant since it means AppleTV is actually diverging from the mini, and the mini lives on for now.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-01-15, 15:02

I think the thing that will really help AppleTV is DVDs with an iTunes digital file included. As now people will automatically copy this to their AppleTV. But i think the best idea would be to have added a Blu-Ray drive. Just after Warner had defected this would have really hit home.

As now people will have Sat/Cable box, Apple TV, DVD/Blu-Ray Player and possibly games console. Most TVs don't have enough HDMI ports to cope with all those so people will be looking to reduce the number of ugly boxes sat next to their TV.
Reid

2008-01-15, 15:04

This is exactly the update/price drop I was waiting for. And the refurb units are $199 now, which hits the sweet spot I just can't resist. I just placed my order.

My Netflix and HBO subscriptions may not be long for this world...

And although I think a Blu-Ray drive would be somewhat cool, there are two things holding that back:

1. Too expensive still.
2. Although the format war is currently in Blu-Ray's favor, downloadable HD rentals trumps a physical format altogether for many people's needs.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 15:05

If I had an HDMI or component capable TV, I'd have already ordered it.
jbsengineer

2008-01-15, 15:08

Am I the only one excited about the 5.1 support? I've been waiting for this and now it's time to pull the trigger. I have a great audio system that needs every channel possible, . Looking at the tech specs it is support the AC3 Passthrough. From what I know quicktime won't even play movies with AC3. They only play the AAC 5.1 and downgrade it to 2 channel. Will the quicktime/itunes upgrade apply support for AC3 I wonder? Or are the tech specs not showing support for AAC 5.1!

AppleTV = Almost Perfect for me!

Josh

MacBookPro 2.0, iPod 60GB, iMac 17" 1.9 iSight, iBook 14"
infinitespecter

2008-01-15, 15:14

After the disappointment from the MacBook Air, my favorite part of the keynote was this. It turned the AppleTV into what it always should have been. I'll be placing my order shortly.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 15:16

This is really tempting now but I have to admit that I'm pretty satisfied just hooking up my Touch to my tv. It looks good enough for me.

Though there's a nice bit of convenience with the AppleTV.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-01-15, 15:51

Did they say in the Keynote when the update would be available, I click on the software update on my TV and get a your software is up to date notice.

And yes the addition of 5.1 is a huge deal to me.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
jbsengineer

2008-01-15, 16:00

They stated it would be available in 2 weeks I think.

I thought the MP4 standard didn't support AC3 passthrough. Any ideas how the encoding will be done with the Dolby Digital 5.1?

MacBookPro 2.0, iPod 60GB, iMac 17" 1.9 iSight, iBook 14"
electroniccpluralsleep

2008-01-15, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
2. Although the format war is currently in Blu-Ray's favor, downloadable HD rentals trumps a physical format altogether for many people's needs.
You're on to something here. People who keep relentlessly debating the HD vs. Blu-Ray case aren't jumping the curve. The reason ice factories went out of business was because consumer ice makers were invented and packaged into refrigerators. The reason Blu-Ray and HD-DVD won't matter nearly as much as VHS vs. Betamax or DVD is because the era of individual media is rapidly drawing to a close. The best, most effective way to distribute any digital media is online. The era of the download will be ended when we have faster networking, but for now I'd be busily investing in distribution networks like iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace, rather than pumping money into a medium that's only going to be useful for a very short period of time.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2008-01-15, 16:23

When are rentals through iTunes available? Not using my TV, but just rentals through iTunes.
wecallitfall

2008-01-15, 16:27

this should have happened 12 months ago
sunrain
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall View Post
this should have happened 12 months ago
I'm sure Apple was busy with a bridge tournament, rather than having extensive talks with *every* major movie studio...
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-01-15, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroniccpluralsleep View Post
You're on to something here. People who keep relentlessly debating the HD vs. Blu-Ray case aren't jumping the curve. The reason ice factories went out of business was because consumer ice makers were invented and packaged into refrigerators. The reason Blu-Ray and HD-DVD won't matter nearly as much as VHS vs. Betamax or DVD is because the era of individual media is rapidly drawing to a close. The best, most effective way to distribute any digital media is online. The era of the download will be ended when we have faster networking, but for now I'd be busily investing in distribution networks like iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace, rather than pumping money into a medium that's only going to be useful for a very short period of time.
This is absolutely true *except* that the studios keep trying to preserve their revenues from "hard copy" media (DVD, Blu-Ray/HD-DVD), such as the 30 day delay on iTunes movie rentals from the DVD release dates. So long as the content is controlled this way, it will retard what seems so obvious and elegant.

Also, don't forget that Apple's primary rival in this case is the cable and satellite providers themselves. Most people who have broadband have TV through the same service provider. Those providers are also renting movies on-demand, with similar prices and terms. The difference is that you already have the remote in your hand, and it's not that much harder to rent from Time Warner or Comcast at that point. Add in the fact that they also are throwing in DVRs in many cases, and it's really stiff competition. For what Apple gives you in terms of elegance, the cable and satellite companies offset that with convenience.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-01-15, 16:59

I don't see that digital downloads are necessarily the future. Yes they maybe convenient and as download speeds increase, more popular. But still think there is a market for hard copies of movie, music etc. I still prefer CDs to mp3s, because they form part of my physical collection. I think the same goes with DVDs.

How many time have you gone round someone's house and had a look through their CD collection. Compare that to the time you have sat down at their computer searched there hard drive for their mp3 collection.
Reid

2008-01-15, 17:00

Yes, well, the movie studios, like the music companies before them, are run by a people at least a generation behind the curve of where their consumers are. They always have, and probably always will, try desperately to cling to their proven revenue streams before succumbing to the inevitable flow of progress.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-15, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
This is absolutely true *except* that the studios keep trying to preserve their revenues from "hard copy" media (DVD, Blu-Ray/HD-DVD), such as the 30 day delay on iTunes movie rentals from the DVD release dates.
It takes at the very least a few months from the first theater opening until it comes out on DVD. An extra month is nothing. Seriously.
Reid

2008-01-15, 17:53

From Engadget: "The update adds AirTunes support for the Apple TV for streaming directly to the device."

YES!!! This is the one last feature I really wanted on the Apple TV! Now I might have to order a second one for the bedroom... :/
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-01-15, 17:54

It doesn't bother me. I don't rush out to rent something fresh out. I just stumble upon it when I get the whim to rent something. But it's the studios' idea of protecting DVD sales that's more troublesome, or at least that's how I read it.
RobM

2008-01-15, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
It doesn't bother me. I don't rush out to rent something fresh out. I just stumble upon it when I get the whim to rent something. But it's the studios' idea of protecting DVD sales that's more troublesome, or at least that's how I read it.
I agree but there's no way round it BR - studio's have the muscle here. And with millions laid out on production before they get any back at the box office, it's no wonder they want it this way. Cinema release first, DVD sales, then a final bite at the cherry through rental.
Assuming they have a "hit" with a release it makes sense. Of course not all are hits and I'll bet they sometimes have to soak up the losses on the dogs big time - so the opportunity to claw a bit more back through rental on some of the loss makers would have to be attractive.

edit: They've got Apple right where they want them at the moment ... and I suspect that Apple will be happy to have the studio's on board as well - but as this service develops things will change and teh Steve should know as well as anyone connected with the movie world how it could pan out, given his relationship with Pixar.

Last edited by RobM : 2008-01-15 at 19:28.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-15, 19:32

Looks like HD downloads = only available on AppleTV...

Grr @ locking out everybody else (like Mac mini users) and especially people with, you know, 1920x1200 screens.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-15, 19:34

Eugene: But you can transfer it to iTunes... Seems like it'll come to the PC as well, just wait.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 20:42

Maybe I'm missing something, but... How the heck do you rent movies? I see a "Top Rentals" in the movie store, but can't find a way to actually rent one...