AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dell Inspiron Mini 9
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-09-04, 11:15

So today the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (aka the "Dell E", aka Dell's entry to the netbook market) finally came out. I've been waiting and waiting (first it was rumored July, then August...) because they were promising some very nice specs for a very nice price. Don't get me wrong, the Asus Eee and the HP Mini-Note both looked fantastic, but my Windows machines have always been Dell and the machines have always been reliable and company has always been helpful to me (I know others' milage may vary). And the more options out there, the better choice I have.

What are the final specs? Right now the $399 Windows version is available, with 1.6Ghz Atom processor, 512MB RAM, and 8GB SSD, as well as a 0.3 megapixel webcam. For $449 you can get 1GB RAM and a 16GB SSD. The rumored Linux version does indeed exist, it's just not shipping yet. Linux-running machines only have a 4GB SSD and no webcam, and are $50 less than the cheapest Windows-running version.

The fact that the Linux machine isn't $299, the rumored price point, is sure to be disappointing to many. On the other hand, the pricing still stacks up well to competitors. I haven't checked on Eee PC pricing recently, but when I played with one in Best By in June, the 4GB Surf model was also $349. It's also less than the HP Mini-Note, although the HP machine's specs aren't as directly comparable as the Mini and the Eee.

What does everyone else think? Are you excited? Meh? Don't really care about netbooks?

One great thing that I saw on Direct2Dell, Dell's blog: "If you can wait until 6 a.m. Central tomorrow, Sept. 5, you’ll be able to get a Mini for only $99 with the purchase of a Studio 15, XPS M1530 or XPS M1330 laptop through 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9 (U.S. only)." I'm surprised this isn't a deal with desktops; I can imagine someone getting a desktop, for power, and then taking the Mini along to be a laptop, but it's harder to imagine buying a laptop and then wanting a second laptop. Then again, given how big/heavy many Windows laptops tend to be, maybe I shouldn't be surprised?

Side note: I wish I knew someone, anyone, who was buying a brand new Dell laptop, because then I'd pay them $100 to get me a Mini. Man, do I wish I knew someone who was buying a Dell.)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
artesc

2008-09-04, 11:48

i actually had a very similar thread open a couple weeks ago. I was looking long and hard at the acer aspire one. I really think that is the way to go. lower prices than the competition with similar, if not better specs. the one that really stood out to me was the version that had the atom processor, 1 gb of ram, 8.9 in screen, and get this, 120 gb hard drive with windows xp. I think it was 450. not sure how you feel about acer, but that's the way i was going to go. good luck
?

artesc all the way!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-04, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Side note: I wish I knew someone, anyone, who was buying a brand new Dell laptop, because then I'd pay them $100 to get me a Mini. Man, do I wish I knew someone who was buying a Dell.)
OMG that's a good idea. I'd love to find somebody to do that with. I hadn't even thought of that until you said it. For the first time ever, I wish my office would buy Dell instead of HP.

Of course, I also wish the SSD was bigger. It'll be interesting to see if that's upgradeable or if it's soldered on. $99 for a hackintosh-capable mini laptop sounds good to me.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-04, 12:33

Need pics.

This is still an Apple-related forum. We're all about the looks of the machine, right?

Dell Inspirion Mini 9 Product Page

Last edited by spotcatbug : 2008-09-04 at 12:55.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-04, 12:43

The Acer Aspire One is better spec-wise and price-wise, and the Dell's keyboard looks like crap. I was excited for the Dell when it was first rumored, but there's no way I'm returning my AA1 for it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rampancy

2008-09-04, 14:54

From where I stand, I too am somewhat disappointed - while Dell has a good entry into the netbook market, it seems like the Aspire One is still the model to beat.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-04, 14:59

I find it funny that they are loaded with XP and not Vista.
artesc

2008-09-04, 15:57

vista is a resource hog.

xp will run on just about anything with a processor. i mean, it came out like in...2000-03? That's an absolute eternity in computer years.

artesc all the way!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-09-04, 16:16

I've been iffy on the Aspire One because I've personally only had experience with 2 Acer machines, and both have been awful. The Acer laptop my mother has has been nothing but a problem for 2 years. The hard drive failed in the first year, and 3 months ago the sound died and we had to send it back to get that replaced. Even without the failures, I hate the keyboard, and it gets way too hot just surfing the web and playing solitaire. My roommate's Acer laptop had to get the videocard replaced.

In other words, while the specs and price are very good, I'm hesitant to pick up an Acer machine because of past problems. (Granted, since the Mini Inspiron is just out, we have no idea what issues it might have, so I'm planning on waiting a few months anyways.)

If I was to consider one, what's the Aspire's battery life like? Reviews of the Mini Inspiron are saying about 3 hours with wi-fi and screen bright; I'm hoping to find one with about 4 (hopefully more, but unlikely) hours without wifi and a dimmed-down screen. I've heard bad things about the Eee battery life.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-04, 16:35

Depends on what model you get. Some Aspire Ones have 3 cell batteries while others have 6 cell batteries. On the PC tech sites I visit I've not heard any complaints about build quality. They haven't really been out long enough for anything to show up yet.
rampancy

2008-09-04, 18:10

Let's also not forget the MSI Wind - is it even available in any significant quantity yet? From the comments I've read from the people I've seen talking about it, it seems to be made of unobtainium.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-09-04, 18:49

Perhaps it's called raritanium (thank you, Ratchet & Clank), or scarceitanium?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-05, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
Let's also not forget the MSI Wind - is it even available in any significant quantity yet? From the comments I've read from the people I've seen talking about it, it seems to be made of unobtainium.
Its hard to get your hands on Winds, in Canada for example, MSI shipped to one company, which only got 50-150 units (all of them the lame Pink colour).