User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Nether Hub 3.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Nether Hub 3.0
¡Damned!

2020-04-17, 06:55

During the server downtime I've been playing around in the 1.16 snapshots and... wow. We may have to discuss the possibility of a full Nether wipe because the new Nether is amazing. Even with all the work that went into our hanging pathways it might still be worth it.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-17, 10:10

I'm for it. I have some thoughts on a new Nether Hub and connecting pathways that will be more inline with the Nether as it stands. Don't know when I'll get the time, but it would be super resource heavy, so …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2020-04-17, 17:33

I'm sure The Overlords would allow us a Creative weekend to fill some chests of whatever stuff you have in mind. There's some new blackstone that may work, soul fire (blue) lanterns, legit chains, etc. Bunch of new stuff. There's four additional biomes in the Nether now so it'll be interesting to see what a new Nether looks like for us.

The Nether is 'livable' now (that is, you could survive down there with no help from the Overworld) but still very dangerous, so one idea I was thinking about was maybe a fortress/bastion-styled structure for the portals within the rough vicinity of Cashout Cove and then stylized pathways branching out from there to the outer portals. I don't know, just spitballing.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2020-04-17 at 17:53.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-17, 17:51

Oh, I like your spitballing. I'd like to do a 50 x 50 x 50 fortress styled walled enclosure around the main portal, with lava bleeding from the walls and all that. Make it super Nethery. And then paths using some of the new blocks in the same style we are currently using but with new, nether-specific blocks for the pathway support rings and real chains from the ceiling and all that.

So lots of nether brick and glass and whatever we use for the rings and chains and other stuff. Chests and chests of it!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-04-18, 08:26

Do It!!!

!!!
¡Damned!

2020-04-23, 19:07

Had a chance to fart around in the newest snapshot today and decided to test out our hanging bridges:

BUT! The mobs in the nether spawn like crazy now, especially the magma cubes. We might have to make the pathway floor all glass (which wouldn't be a bad thing):

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-04-23, 19:14

How do you hang them??

Dr. Bobsky

2020-04-24, 06:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Had a chance to fart around in the newest snapshot today and decided to test out our hanging bridges:
noice
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-24, 09:41

Wow, that looks awesome.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-24, 10:09

Yep. Looks great. I would definitely suggest an all glass floor, although where the hanging rings are I would suggest carpeting the floor of the ring with black carpet or something similar. That way, it still has the visual affect, but mobs won't spawn. And nice work, Grey! Pretty darned close to what I was thinking in my little pea brain.

And those blue lanterns, holy cow!

AWESOME!

¡Damned!

2020-04-24, 21:56

Ken, if you want to you might throw some of this into a 'MC: Nether Hub 3.0' stand-alone thread. I've probably sidetracked the bees enough.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-24, 23:40

Done!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-25, 00:28

I've done a mockup somewhat similar, but different aesthetically. I have no image upload site since Tinypic went away, so no way to post. But, instead of using two chains on each ring, it just uses one (at a point in the top center of each ring, with the chains rising up from a blue campfire. It looks awesome, and a bit more rickety.

¡Damned!

2020-04-25, 19:40

I'm all for a single-chain technique. Hanging those things is by far the biggest pain (and most dangerous part) involved.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-26, 16:14

I wish I could show you the mockup I did. But, you can do it yourself. Stick one of those new blue campfires at the central peak of the ring, and then chain up from there. It looks awesome! I just made a triangle shape, but you can experiment.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-30, 18:43

I can't wait to see this. I'm good with wiping Nether and starting it over too.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-05-01, 08:46

I just looked at how you get Netherite...and man, that stuff is rare.

At least it give Gold a purpose again, though.