Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft Good Neighbor Guidelines

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft Good Neighbor Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-11-15, 19:11

So, in honor of MC 1.0 and The New World, I thought I'd bring this thread back to the top and bullet point stuff. Because I'm both OCD and anal retentive. Call me, ladies!

[Brad edit] If you can't build in the world, read this thread and post in it!

Membership Prerequisites
  1. Introduce yourself; some background helps.
  2. If not previously an AN member, then state who invited you (AN members with strong community standing only please) to join.
  3. Then that AN member must vouch for you in this thread before you can be whitelisted.

General Behavior
  • Do NOT take ANYTHING from someone else's chest unless it is clearly marked for sharing/community use or the owner has given you permission.
  • Close the door/gate after you pass through it.
  • Robo is on WiMAX. Pity and forgive him.
  • CLOSE THE DOOR/GATE AFTER YOU PASS THROUGH IT.
  • If there are torches around, its probably someone else's. Don't touch.
  • If it looks extensively modified, as in deforested or dug up, its probably someone else's. Don't touch.
  • Ask around if you think a developed area has been abandoned. Then maybe you can touch.
  • Do not exploit bugs to override the baseline limitations of the game. Use some common sense here. If exploiting a bug gives you the ability to break normally-unbreakable blocks, obtain normally-unobtainable items, or otherwise execute commands that you are normally forbidden from doing, don't do it.

Destruction
  • Don't demolish any structures without asking (preferably the originator) first.
  • Do not remove, replace, move, or otherwise adjust torches unless you specifically know that you placed them.
  • If you break torches, glass, or other blocks you shouldn't have, replace it. If you can't replace it, contact the builder either in-game or here on the forums.
  • If a creeper or whatnot destroyed someone's place while you were running for you life, tell them. If you can't fix it properly, leave it alone and tell them ASAP.
  • Do not take sand from anywhere besides designated sand-mining areas. If you don't know where these areas are, ask someone.
  • If you harvest someone's crops, replant. If you trample someone's farmland, till and replant.
  • If you chop down a tree, be sure to remove ALL of the logs. Don't leave treetops floating in the sky!
  • Don't go wandering for thousands of blocks away from spawn. This needlessly expands the map. If you want to start building in an area away from spawn, ask around or check the map for good locations.

Construction
  • When deciding on a place to build, ALWAYS ask neighboring players if the land is spoken for or if you're building too close.
  • Do not plant trees randomly about the map unless they are well removed from civilization AND in the middle of a forest or field which is NOT already lit. This act is identical in its down stream consequences as removing a torch; don't do it.

Mining
  • If you encounter well lit caves while mining, don't take resources from these areas without asking. Someone may have explored that area and may still mine the resources at a later date.
  • If living in a populated area, do not use the practice of digging extensive, multiple, horizontal shafts in all directions at the depth of precious materials. These shafts can remove valuable materials under other people's homes thereby denying them their use. Excessive branch mines can also hamper performance for players on weaker computers. Please use the debug coordinate system to reign in your mining to just your local area!
  • Please build extensive mining operations away from current players homes in a relatively open area.
  • When mining in the mesa biome for stained clay, DO NOT mine entire horizontal layers through the middle of the hill (e.g. white and light gray layers only) leaving a floating island in the sky. Either trim the edges only or mine from the top layer by layer. The flower farms and mobtraps provide sufficient dye sources to stain the base hardened clay to your desired color. Don't be lazy.

tl;dr
  • Be respectful of others.
  • Use common sense.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-20, 17:38

Repeating this here for anyone who doesn't read the maps thread.

I've just wiped the world, and this warrants repeating in the Good Neighbor Guidelines thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I would ask everyone, though, to please don't go hiking away for thousands or tens of thousands of blocks in the name of exploration. In just the last week, the world has grown to 894 MB, and that kind of growth is absolutely unsustainable. To compare, the preserved regions of CC account for a "mere" 46 MB, and that's a surface area of 2.3 million blocks. The entirety of the CC world before trimming to the town was still just 434 MB. I don't want to use a plugin to force a cap on the navigable distance from the origin, but I'm looking into it because I may have to.
tl;dr: Don't go wildly expanding the world.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-02, 18:39

Bump! I just edited the top post of this thread to remove some old rules (remember when sheared sheep didn't regrow wool?) and clean up and add some new ones. I also sloughed off most of the old posts to this other thread so this Guidelines thread can stay up top with just the essentials.

New members are still encouraged to post in this thread to introduce themselves! I'll periodically move new posts off to the other thread as they age out.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-03-08, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
So, in honor of MC 1.0 and The New World, I thought I'd bring this thread back to the top and bullet point stuff. Because I'm both OCD and anal retentive. Call me, ladies!

Mining
  • If you encounter well lit caves while mining, don't take resources from these areas without asking. Someone may have explored that area and may still mine the resources at a later date.
  • If living in a populated area, do not use the practice of digging extensive, multiple, horizontal shafts in all directions at the depth of precious materials. These shafts can remove valuable materials under other people's homes thereby denying them their use. Excessive branch mines can also hamper performance for players on weaker computers. Please use the debug coordinate system to reign in your mining to just your local area!
  • Please build extensive mining operations away from current players homes in a relatively open area.

With the introduction of stained clay and the Mesa biome I think this is an appropriate guideline to follow:
  • When mining in the mesa biome for stained clay, DO NOT mine entire horizontal layers through the middle of the hill (e.g. white and light gray layers only) leaving a floating island in the sky. Either trim the edges only or mine from the top layer by layer. The flower farms and mobtraps provide sufficient dye sources to stain the base hardened clay to your desired color. Don't be lazy.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-08, 15:49

Excellent addition! I'll edit the original post.
Taillie_Griffon

2015-11-27, 03:26

Hello! I would like to join your Minecraft Server! My name is Cat, but my characters name is Taillie_Griffon! I'm was asked to join by both MightGleek and InvaderJak!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 09:11

Sure thing, Cat. Welcome to the server!

You should now be whitelisted. I trust mighty_gLeek and InvaderJak/David will show you the ropes.

Also, mind giving us a quick introduction? Tell us a little bit about yourself?

(Maybe take that intro into this thread)

¡Damned!

2015-11-27, 16:11

Also, we should get a 'vouch for' from either Jak or Gleek before whitelisting. Just sayin'.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 16:12

True. Fair enough.

Lady and gentleman? What say you?

Also be sure to read the last few posts on this page to see where you could start digging/building once you're in: http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...571#post793571

Oathkeeper8771

2015-11-28, 11:36

Hi guys! I'm Dylan but you guys can call me either that or Oathkeeper or Oath or whatever you feel like. I was invited to join you by arteggio. I look forward to meeting and having fun with you all. I have only played minecraft on console up to this point and I am excited to take the plunge into the computer version.
arteggio

2015-11-28, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathkeeper8771 View Post
Hi guys! I'm Dylan but you guys can call me either that or Oathkeeper or Oath or whatever you feel like. I was invited to join you by arteggio. I look forward to meeting and having fun with you all. I have only played minecraft on console up to this point and I am excited to take the plunge into the computer version.
I vouch again!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-29, 14:08

dunzo... assuming your Minecraft username is "Oathkeeper"?

Welcome to the server, Oathkeeper. Like the others before, do take a look at that aforementioned thread to find good places to settle in/mine, and take a moment to tell us a little about yourself too.

Oathkeeper8771

2015-11-29, 23:18

Quote:
dunzo... assuming your Minecraft username is "Oathkeeper"?

Welcome to the server, Oathkeeper. Like the others before, do take a look at that aforementioned thread to find good places to settle in/mine, and take a moment to tell us a little about yourself too.
Hey sorry for the confusion but my minecraft name is Oathkeeper8771.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-29, 23:34

OathKeeper8771? Usernames are case-sensitive, and it didn't find Oathkeeper8771.
Oathkeeper8771

2015-11-30, 00:08

Quote:
OathKeeper8771? Usernames are case-sensitive, and it didn't find Oathkeeper8771.
"Oathkeeper8771" Would me being on windows 10 create a problem?
¡Damned!

2015-11-30, 15:00

If you have the 'Windows 10 Edition' of Minecraft, yeah, that's the problem. It's not the same thing as Minecraft for PC.
Oathkeeper8771

2015-11-30, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If you have the 'Windows 10 Edition' of Minecraft, yeah, that's the problem. It's not the same thing as Minecraft for PC.
Well it looks like mojang is getting more of my money then lol
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-30, 16:32

Atta boy! Never give up.
Dr. Bobsky

2015-12-01, 11:50

What is this minecraft for windows 10 malarkey?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-01, 13:47

Probably this mess, which is in Beta. Windows 10 Edition appears to be part of the "pocket edition" versions.

Quote:
Play online and local multiplayer with other Pocket Edition players thanks to a free update, due to arrive soon after launch.
Does not appear to support standard online multiplayer. It's looking for other pocket edition versions. My guess is it's designed for Surface things, whatever those are this week..

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-12-01 at 14:07.
WillJVNinja

2017-09-04, 12:42

Hello I would like to join your server my username is WillJVNinja and i was invited by JohhhnyTheA I also read all the rules.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-04, 12:56

We'd love to have you join, just need JohnnyTheA to vouch for you and you'll be in.
JohnnyTheA

2017-09-04, 13:00

He is good. He has been playing on my own server for some time and really like what I have shown him of this server. Maybe he can help me finish my Uni Library..

Thx
WillJVNinja

2017-09-07, 21:55

So am i going to be whitelisted soon?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-08, 08:19

You are whitelisted now. Sorry I missed the reply from JohnnyTheA, thanks for checking and reminding me.

Enjoy! Please check out the maps and find a place to call home. There is a good neighbors thread around here in the GamingNova section where you should check if your build might encroach on someone else's plot.

Other than in-game chat we typically communicate with each other here on the forums.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2017-09-08, 09:44

The Land Claims Thread
Community Resources Thread (a few of those are outdated – we also need to establish new sand & mesa mining areas in 1.12 yet)
ANMC Overhead Map (good place to get a sense of where things are in the world)
OptiFine

Welcome!

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-09-08, 10:12

And stay off of 709's lawn. He gets cranky!

¡Damned!

2017-09-08, 10:53

Says the Underminer.

Beware, WillJVNinja. He's always beneath you, but nothing is beneath him.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-09-08, 11:32

It's true, it really is!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-12, 11:07

I wish I wasn't so late to this party.

Yeah, those links from 709 are a great place to start learning and asking questions about the server.