User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Adelphia Cable Modem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adelphia Cable Modem
iGrAppled

2005-05-14, 14:01

Help! Just switched mom to a minimac and we are having troubles with the internet. It's half the speed as it was with her old pc and iChat cant find the host. After going through everything(opening ports, etc...) I still cant figure out the dealio. I decided to check out her modem...

Adelphia Cable
Com21 DP1110XB USB Cable Modem

So from what I can tell this modem doesnt work with Mac. True? Not true? Albeit its far to slow, I still get web connection...

If the Com21 DP1110XB isn't mac friendly what do you guys suggest I have her grab when she heads down to swap it out?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-14, 14:28

From a recent post of mine:

Quote:
Oh, man. Did you get stuck with a USB modem? There's your first problem.

Lesson learned: always always ALWAYS ask for a standard Ethernet modem from an ISP. They "simply work" with literally any device that has an Ethernet port without needing any sort of special drivers or software. It baffles me to no end that ISPs actually make customers put up with crap hardware like this when the alternative is better and no more expensive.

That said, you're probably SOL until (if) the manufacturer updates its software to work with 10.4.
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-05-16, 10:58

I have some Motorola thing that Adelphia gave me. Has USB and ethernet. I rent it from them for like $4 a month. Hope that helps
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-05-16, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrAppled
If the Com21 DP1110XB isn't mac friendly what do you guys suggest I have her grab when she heads down to swap it out?
Anything with Ethernet!
Whoever first decided that USB would make a good networking connection, should be flogged, shot, boiled in oil, drawn and quartered, and then burned to a fine ash.
iGrAppled

2005-05-17, 23:13

ok, just switched up to a teryan or whatever. thanks for the heads up. everything works fine but ichat. "can't find host" so i opened up the hole in the firewall on my side and still no worky. now i believe i need to mess with the firewall on adelphias side. true? not true? and we're on, 10.3.9